Havok -> Non-Havok & vice-versa

Erikdeda1

Simply? I want a full weapon rack whose swords can't be moved out or tampered with.

http://www.oblivionsrealestate.com/Resources/Furniture/a_Wineracks.jpg

And sure it would be better if it we're a container but the havok/non-havok is the main problem for me here; that and how to put meshes from 1 nif file to another in Nifscope

Import the rack and sword(s) into Blender, position them how you want them and export the whole thing as a static object.

I have not done much with static objects but I think everyone uses the mops option when exporting which creates the collision for you. You just need to specify it as a static object.

If you are referring to changing the rack's weapons from static to dynamic in-game, I don't think there is a way to do that. The closest thing you could do to approximate that is an activator that allows you to use the rack like an inventory chest...and then swap out the rack (disable / enable) with a different rack to make it look like there are more or less items displayed. (can require quite a few statics depending on the amount of options you are looking to implement visually)

NOTE: A sword in the game that is "static" = unusable as a weapon.

LHammonds

I can go right through it
That means you don't have a static collision model associated to it.

Upload it somewhere like MediaFire.com and send me a link to download it via PM. If you have the .blend file, I prefer that...if not, the NIF file will be sufficient.

EDIT:

I jumped into Blender and the NIF Export screen, I see a collision option of "Static" but not a mops option. So I suppose you have to make the collision model manually and configure it correctly before exporting as a static mesh so that the havok can be made correctly.

I have a tutorial on how to add multiple collisions for weapons but not for statics. I am guessing it is a similar practice but with certain settings being a bit different. It is best to study how the NIF structure and settings look like in a static vanilla object and try to get the right settings to replicate a similar structure when you export. Typically, doing an import will get a collision model imported but not the necessary settings to export it correctly. Some of those settings are documented in the tutorial mentioned earlier.

I have a convex collision tutorial but I really don't think static meshes such as furniture and buildings should use it because of the high cost to the CPU to utilize them.

Attached is a Blender example of a Wooden Box (cube) with a box collision model and the collision settings (Actor Tab) for a wooden static crate. I exported it to NIF format to see what the NIF looked like and the primary key I was looking for is the Red Havok outline which indicates it is a static collision model. I would venture to guess that the NIF would be able to be placed in the game just like a wooden crate.

To add a weapon to that, I would import the weapon(s) and place them were I wanted them. Next, I would delete any imported collision models that came with the weapons and create my own that is appropriate to the model. Example, a sword typically has two cylinder models to allow it to roll around a bit...for a static, I would create rectangles to cover them (I guess rectangles are more efficient and the models won't be moving anyways)

LHammonds

I received the model and added the collision but there are more problems than just collision issues.

The weapon rack appears to have been manipulated to delete objects that were there...but it was done in such a way that it left many vertices in place, invisible and wasting resources. There was also a large amount of duplicated verts...as if multiple copies were imported on top of each other but never combined. In all, I have removed over 4,500 duplicate or unused vertices. This brought the final NIF result down from 580 kb to 460 kb.

The rack also appears to have combined objects using different materials...this is a no-no and won't work correctly (IIRC). I'll have to determine which objects are using which materials in order to separate the objects into their own NiTriStrips. I combined the 4 swords into a single object since they share the exact same texture file.

When it is all said and done, I think there will be 3 NiTriStrip objects which are utilizing 3 different textures/materials.

I will be creating a red, blue and green DDS textures using the same names as the textures referenced in the blender file so it will be easy to identify and separate. ;)

EDIT: Finished making changes and sent the DL link via PM to you.

Layer 1 - Weapon Rack

Layer 2 - Rivets

Layer 3 - Swords

Layer 4 - Collision Models

The archive includes the .blend and the resulting NIF file. I also took a snapshot of my export screen to show you what it looks like and what buttons I clicked to get those results.

After export, the ONLY thing I did with the NIF files was to open them with NifSkope and set all material colors to White, White, Black, Black. They are slightly offset for each material in Blender so the export would not combine the material names...this gives you maximum flexibility.

Again, it should be noted that I do not usually do static meshes so my methods may not be the best or even work. I have not tested the resulting NIF in-game to see if it works.

Since I had to completely re-do the materials, you might need to re-pick the textures in order to see them inside Blender...but even if you don't, I made sure the texture path remained the same which means your exported NIF file should pick up the textures without needing to modify texture paths. ;)

LHammonds

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you, thank you, thank you, it actually helped me get the entire system and now I can import/export havok>non-havok objects in no time and with minimum stress :biggrin:

EDIT: Sorry for such a late reply, I just thought I posted a thank you, sorry Mr.Hammonds.

So what I did worked without any problems? Just curious since I don't usually create statics (actually, I can't recall creating any statics before...for a mod of mine).

LHammonds