Best Antivirus

AncientSpaceAeon

I'd suggest Kaspersky if you want a paid product. It works rather well and doesn't hog up too much RAM. I purchased it for my grandma...who seems to be a magnet for viruses.

Personally, I don't have any type of AV software...I have never had a virus. Hmm, should I give away my secrets lol? I really only visit the same 15 sites a day, don't visit websites I know are full of crap, use Adblock Plus and NoScript, don't search stupid stuff in Google, don't go on "those" websites (you know what I'm talking about :wink:) and clean my Flash and Java folders with CCleaner weekly. Plus, a great ISP provided DSL router and we're good to go hehe.

Comodo Internet Security just came out with version 4.0 and now has a Sandbox feature built-in to the application. SWEET! I really like the new version so far.

If anyone is upgrading from 3.x to 4.x, I recommend you first export your current configuration...then after you uninstall Comodo and install the new one, you can re-import all your settings...which includes all your firewall rules and trusted/untrusted app settings.

LHammonds

spybot (saved me before) and avast (if you can stand klaxons going off and hearing "Warning, a virus has been detected") just because they're free and reliable. I did have one SOB of a virus on my fathers pc awhile ago that required Malware Bytes, which is also free and awesome at destroying that which tries to destroy your hdd.

Based on LHammond's recommendation, I downloaded and installed the new version of Comodo Internet Security. I'm impressed. Its a little geekier than some of the other programs, and may take a little getting used to. But for a FREE security suite (Firewall, Antivirus & Anti spyware) it is very nice.

I have Comodo 4.0's sandbox feature turned off...I cannot quite figure out how to properly utilize it.

If I sandbox IE, it cannot use Flash or Java and I don't know how to sandbox multiple apps together so that IE can utilize Java and Flash while in the sandbox. ** shrug **

Sandboxing IE would be a perfect solution to the IE problem (if I can ever get it working right with Comodo). I have to use Java for a work application.

LHammonds

• 2 weeks later...

CNET is a site that will give some suggestions on your AV, Firewalls, SPYWARE, bots and what have you.

Free comparable to paid is always a crap shoot. I think it was 2005 that Norton put out a security suite that was complete rubbish when compared a hand pick of free utilities such as AVG and zonealarm and Hijackthis, malewarebytes all in combination. there all free but at the same time you don't want two conflicting programs to run otherwise you get a factoring math problem whereas two programs factor each other out but then take up more process pipelines diverting needed resources. This will make the programs open a hole instead of providing that maze you call a firewall or pop up blocker etc.

Usually free is not free it is the exchange of work on your part and providing feedback to improve a program which is then compiled then others pay for the complete package kinda like free marketing or cheap marketing.

maybe to much writing... or maybe not.