Any advice on a good antivirus?

Today, bitdefender Antivirus caused a major problem to X64 sistems by releasing a flawed update wich contained a false positive... wich recognized all .dll and every program installed, as a VIRUS. therefore, deleting and quarantining everything and breaking thousands of PCs in the process. I had 2 computer wich I luckily managed to rescue from oblivion, but I can no longer trust bitdefender. So I ask the community, what antivirus do you recommend?

• 3 months later...

Hmm, to post there, or here... on one hand the linked thread is a couple months old, on the other, do we really need a second on the subject? Hmm, perhaps we should do as the DSLReports Security Forum does and have yearly anti-virus polls stickied somewhere. Or just a link to theirs. :D

Personally I find Avast 5 pretty agreeable, though my suggestion to anyone looking for an antivirus is always to make use of trial offers and purchase (or keep, in the case of freebies such as Avast) the one you like best. Just make sure to clean up after each one. PCs are not like consoles, every system is fairly unique and just because Antivirus A performs well on Computer A, doesn't mean it will on Computer B.