Pro Modders

heavywaters

I've seen so many impressive mods on the Nexus and other sites over the last couple of years.

Some of them are of such high quality that the modders have to have some kind of related background.

I'm new to modding and Ive been learning as I go, but it would take me years to build skill enough to compare myself to some of the better modders out there (if at all).

I'm shure there has to be a few that work in the gaming industry (or have lots of free time), but there are more than a couple of these self-taught modders that should get payed for their knowledge.

Thanx to all the skilled modders on these forums, you make oblivion more than the sum of its parts.

Just curious to see what makes these modders so good.

In the words of a Thieves Guild member, "I do a little bit of this, and a little bit of that."

The work experience most relevant to modding that I have had was repairing automotive electrical and electronic systems, using handheld inventory control computers, using handheld data collection devices with GPS and wireless communications in the field, and using a desktop terminal for receiving assignments and reporting on them.

But modding is a whole lot different than those things.

My background is in graphic art, so I've always been drawn (no pun intended) to making textures. I've modded skins for Vampire the Masquerade Redemption, Oblivion, and made my own textures for Poser. (see example). At one time I toyed with the idea of seeking employment as a 2d texture artist for games, but decided against attempting it because of the instability of the field. I ended up going into promotional products, dealing with artwork and logos that are applied to products.

I've seen so many impressive mods on the Nexus and other sites over the last couple of years.

Some of them are of such high quality that the modders have to have some kind of related background.

Nope, most of it is really all about a willingness to keep working at it and enough creativity to make something others like. Some of the best mods around are made by people still in highschool and somewhat younger.

I'm new to modding and Ive been learning as I go, but it would take me years to build skill enough to compare myself to some of the better modders out there (if at all).

Skill, and even knowledge really isn't all that important in the long run. Most projects actually don't require that much. Meanwhile, people like myself who have a good background in modding and are able to do lots usually end up slipping through the cracks because we're more focused on doing lots of different things instead of doing something specific really well.

I'm shure there has to be a few that work in the gaming industry (or have lots of free time), but there are more than a couple of these self-taught modders that should get payed for their knowledge.

Its often surprising to find out just how many skilled modders there are out there who are under the age of 20. Some of it is time, but most of it is about not being weighed down by a career. If most of us were employed in the game industry, we'd probably be spending most of our time either working within that industry at our jobs or trying to get as far away from a computer as we possibly could. Although a background in programming, graphics, and modeling does help in many cases, much of it is really all about your own determination to learn and how quickly you can pick up a skill.

Just curious to see what makes these modders so good.

A lack of social life, a crate of Monster, and an aversion to sunlight... What did you think it took?

Pro Modders - What do you do for a living?
I am not sure what you mean by "Pro Modders"...Professional Modders? As in "getting paid" modders? I don't think there are any around here. ;)

If we avoid the "pro" part, I can fit into the "modder" part and will gladly say that my career is in the Computer Science field. Database Administrator is my current title but I'm really just a jack of all trades, master of none. I won't bother with the details since I've been in the biz for 15 years. In my profession, the only constant is change. You have to constantly learn and evolve or you get left behind and end up flipping burgers or going overseas to use your decade-old experience if you don't keep yourself educated.

I've created a lot of mods...some very niche, some widely acceptable but the most popular ones seem to have been the ones I enjoyed making the most and had the most fun with. If you enjoy what you do, others might also enjoy it...but how many people is always a question mark...so it is not a factor in my process. This is going to sound a bit odd, but I try to please myself during the mod-making process. If I am happy with the results, it won't matter if a few people voice their "issues" about how it sucks...it simply won't get under my skin. Although, it is great to get feedback from people that saw things in a different way and make suggestions that you don't mind incorporating into the next version. The community aspect is quite fun but you have to be able to take the good along with the bad.

Hmmm...I'm getting a bit off topic here...anyways, the things in life that had a direct affect on my modding ability has been the following:

1. Background in Computer Science / Programming
  2. Very familiar with an image editor such as Paint Shop Pro due to home photography hobby
  3. A basic need for technical finesse (to make up for a lack of artistic finesse)

LHammonds

I'm no pro or anything, but I love to mod. I'm an amateur digital artist, and I suppose that lends itself to my modding skills. The construction set is rather straightforward, and once you get the hang of what settings things need to use, you're good to go.