English - Official Language of the World ?

AncientSpaceAeon

32 members have voted

1. 1. Is it possible ?

• Possible
    • Possible, but extremely hard.
    • Impossible
  2. 2. Do you think it will happen ?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Is it a good thing or a bad thing ?

• Good thing
    • Don't effect much
    • Bad thing

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, we find english everywhere. I didn't understand anything in Mandarin, when there's someone came to our school to teach Mandarin a bit, I didn't understand any of those words.

That's Pretty Natural!

I myself couldn't understand Russian or Latin but I found similarities between them. added some comparing to English and they were not that alien to me. now for westerners to learn Mandarin? that's a long road, it's hard to learn Chinese even for the Japanese, and they are neighbors:

Japanese:より少ない

Chinese:較少

same words, different length.

as for English used as the official language, Not Possible, in the areas outside Europe people won't touch their language unless they want to or are forced to and that force doesn't come from economy, only by colonization, and colonization doesn't happen on large scale anymore. on the contrary, people hardly want to change their language on that scale, words and phrases change, but the base won't. especially for the cultural fervent people of the south and east. don't even think about cultural consensus...

P.S.

why English? I mean, it has it's uses but it's the "pirate's" language, pretty simplified, making lyrics is hard and poetry is only good when aimed at Shakespeare, I'm sure if humans want to change their language to one unified, they will choose a better one I believe.

Chinese:較少

same words, different length.

Chinese... about 12 motion strokes of a pencil.

較少... about 20 strokes of a pencil/brush.

Very deceptive, hehe.

P.S.

why English? I mean, it has it's uses but it's the "pirate's" language, pretty simplified, making lyrics is hard and poetry is only good when aimed at Shakespeare, I'm sure if humans want to change their language to one unified, they will choose a better one I believe.

It's simple, true. It is also offered in most collegiate institutes around the world. In Japan, China, and I think Southern Korea, it's a required course.

English is at the front due to it's current influence around the world for the last four hundred years. You can blame America for it now, but the British were the ones who started the trend by economically conquering India, China, and parts of Africa.

Will it be about time then, that we wil see Chineese teaching in US UK EU classrooms? :biggrin:

My PUC(programming and utilizing computers) teacher said Chineese classes will be available at the college I study very soon. He is "in touch" with the

chineese
ambassador in Romania and they already developed many programs for students, including chineese arts classes and engeneering classes for the profile I'm at.

Sounds like fun and I'd like to learn the language.

lol

Why English? Because it´s exstreemly easy to learn. Far more easy than my own language, Danish. :thumbsup:

Or mine. I feel pitty for all the ambassadors or foreign diplomats that are stated here. Listening to them when they try speak Romanian is so funny. :laugh:

P.S.

REALLY? Errr...you REALLY think Shakespeare was the only English language poet with any talent? I am sure that Chaucer, Spenser, Donne, Keats, Burns, Byron, Wordsworth, Coleridge, Longfellow, Yeats, Auden, Thomas, etc, etc, are rolling in their graves to hear that. There is a rich and ongoing English language poetic tradition.

Making lyrics in it is hard? Sure, that's why G F Handel, a German, wrote so much music that was destined to be sung in English. We have a very strong choral tradition in the UK, for some reason, especially in former mining areas like my own, which of itself suggests that there is plenty for us to sing. Tomorrow night at Mass, I will be singing the psalm "My God, my god, look upon me, why hast thou forsaken me?" in English, to a tune by the world renowned English composer Henry Purcell.

And of course, you can't escape the fact that most popular music, of whatever genre, tends to be sung in...wait for it...ENGLISH, irrespective of the nationality of the artiste. It seems that the choice is already being made

(Before you ask, I also sing in Latin, French, German and sometimes Italian myself....)

English is at the front due to it's current influence around the world for the last four hundred years. You can blame America for it now, but the British were the ones who started the trend by economically conquering India, China, and parts of Africa.

I can probably blame the Brittish and the Americans for something, when in a bad mood :whistling: , but I would never ever blame anyone that it is possible to speak english nearly everywhere (perhaps still except France :tongue: ).

In DK we don´t have syncronized TV, we hear the original language+subtitles, and since we all watch TV since we are small kids, we speak English before we start school. Even as adult computers and TV´s are good training, so when we travel out into the great big world (wich we love) we never have any troubles being understood. Even in the most remote little countries, far away, they will speak just a little English. It is not a question wheter it will be, it allready is an official language of the world. :biggrin:

P.S.

And of course, you can't escape the fact that most popular music, of whatever genre, tends to be sung in...wait for it...ENGLISH, irrespective of the nationality of the artiste. It seems that the choice is already being made

(Before you ask, I also sing in Latin, French, German and sometimes Italian myself....)

That's only popular because of the foreign influences pushing that "rock and role" stuff onto the impressionable young minds of given country. Before the Americans and English came along, nobody listened to those songs. You can't really call that American stuff music or even lyrical really... Yes, I'm being facetious here. Really, what a person defines as music is largely dependent on their culture, and may sound absolutely dreadful to those who are not familiar with it. Death Metal or Enka for example...

That's only popular because of the foreign influences pushing that "rock and role" stuff onto the impressionable young minds of given country. Before the Americans and English came along, nobody listened to those songs. You can't really call that American stuff music or even lyrical really... Yes, I'm being facetious here. Really, what a person defines as music is largely dependent on their culture, and may sound absolutely dreadful to those who are not familiar with it. Death Metal or Enka for example...

Singers from my county start making songs in English. I guess making a song in English is more profitable as you can sell it outside your country borders, but it won't reflect your culture. Most of the movies on TV are in English. We learn English at school from the second grade, even kindergarden. When you look for a job(depending on the job of course, but I'm thinking about a money making one here) they ask you if you know at least English.

We mix English and Romanian words when we talk to each other, especialy those born after 1989. We use English words like: funny, cool, weekend and so on daily. I think it's both good and bad, depending on how you look at it. :sweat:

Absolutely the same here. I´m a musician and played in a band during the -70s and -80s. Our lyrics where in Danish. That will absolutely not work today. If a band wants international fame, or just produce a CD/DVD, it gotta be English. No producers will sign a contract with you, if you use your native laguage. I think this goes for all of Europe. :dry: