⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

Long War for Mac OS/X - pointers / advice?

thither

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Terminal doesn't open. It just says that the file is corrupted and should be moved to trash.

After downloading a new copy of Long War, I get this message a couple times before Terminal starts refusing to even open due to file corruption:

Last login: Wed Jan 23 16:50:18 on ttys000

/Users/noah/Downloads/LW-EW-Linux-OSX-v1_0-3/install-LW-OSX.sh ; exit;

PinotGris:~ noah$ /Users/noah/Downloads/LW-EW-Linux-OSX-v1_0-3/install-LW-OSX.sh ; exit;

-bash: /Users/noah/Downloads/LW-EW-Linux-OSX-v1_0-3/install-LW-OSX.sh: /bin/bash: bad interpreter: Operation not permitted

logout

Saving session...

...copying shared history...

...saving history...truncating history files...

...completed.

Deleting expired sessions...none found.

[Process completed]

Hope that helps

Wait to hear what eleve2 has to say, but that error ("/bin/bash: bad interpreter: Operation not permitted") looks to me like either your copy of the "bash" shell is damaged, or the "install-LW-OSX.sh" script is incompatible (likely "too old") for the current shell syntax.

Have you checked your filesystem integrity for errors lately (the generic Linux command is "fsck")?

-Dubious-

Thank you for the info. It sort of looks from your description as though you double clicked the install file in Finder which produced the error you showed us.
Would you mind doing the following (and apologies, if it doesn't work the first time through as the following is copied from an old message I sent to someone else with problems a looong time ago):

What happens if you just download the top file from https://www.nexusmods.com/xcom/mods/88?tab=files (Long War EW 1.0 for Mac and Linux install -> this is the file to download for the Enemy Within version of XCOM) and then do the following:

1. unzip the downladed install directory/folder then open that folder so the folder is accessible for dragging and place that window somewhere out of the way

2. start up the program Terminal (make certain that both windows, the one from above and the Terminal window are visible and accessible)

How I write stuff here:

<> these angled brackets contain instructions on what goes there

In Terminal, every command to the system has to be sent with the enter or return key on the keyboard.

3. in Terminal enter

cd <from Finder, drag the folder/directory containing the installation stuff here>

You should now see a change at the beginning of the command line. Where before it probably displayed something similar to (this is from my machine):

eves MacPro:~ eve$

It will now display something similar to (again, from my machine):

eves MacPro:LW-EW-Linux-OSX-v1_0 eve$

4. Now, enter

./install-LW-OSX.sh

You might need to answer a few questions but depending on your installation, the LW install might run through without problems now.

When I start up Terminal and try step three, I get this message:

-bash: syntax error near unexpected token `newline'

My Terminal screen looks like this when I try step three, if it helps(I'm on a desktop):

Last login: Thu Jan 24 11:25:26 on console

PinotGris:~ noah$ cd </Users/noah/Downloads/LW-EW-Linux-OSX-v1_0-4 >

-bash: syntax error near unexpected token `newline'

PinotGris:~ noah$

Note that I am using a Mac, not a Linux, when I'm doing this.

EDIT: Is it possible that the unzip program I'm using isn't unzipping the files completely?

Edited by worldsoul15

ah, thank you.

Still get a problem. Now it shows this:

PinotGris:~ noah$ /Users/noah/Downloads/LW-EW-Linux-OSX-v1_0-4/install-LW-OSX.sh

-bash: /Users/noah/Downloads/LW-EW-Linux-OSX-v1_0-4/install-LW-OSX.sh: /bin/bash: bad interpreter: Operation not permitted

PinotGris:~ noah$

At this point I'm half convinced the computer just hates me.

Edited by worldsoul15