AMD 12 core Prcessor?

Hey take a look at this, this may be AMD's brake, AMD has developed a 12 core processor, that surpasses the cell processor from sony.

Take a look.

He he i wouldn't mind seeing a benchmark between the cell and amd 12 core processor, that would be cool :thumbsup: .

http://gcn.com/articles/2010/03/29/amd-opteron.aspx

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9174306/AMD_s_12_core_chip_may_cut_software_costs

If admin see's this can you edit the title please, thanks :blink:

I know they are for servers, but that's kind of ground breaking. I am getting the 6 core phenom coming out in may, its backwards compatible with my board to Woot. They say will use the same socket range as the Quads.

Socket AM3

Parallel processing is a somewhat old idea by now, still much need to be enhanced yet before the cores get near perfect scalable performance. The video card industry got there first and are leading knowhow in that area, AMD is yet to show all the benefits from getting ATI technology but much of it is already there and it ranges from the chipset itself as the miniaturization that allowed to be more at par with Intel at the raw core speed competition.

The future points to it, a no far away someday we'll be seeing dozen cores CPUs, should not be surprise the count would be by hundreds... tight interaction with the videocard, with full duplex communication allows for self adapting physics emulation with the CPU getting feedback of 'debris' to adjust response, and so on.

That is where I think the next real step leads.

Processes can be divided by core already for some time. In a few years when the amount of cores grow each process will be able to have its own core eventually. Then it'll have multiple core for each process. Or in the end they'll find another way to improve speeds. Indeed, I'll be looking forward to how the interaction between all things on the board itself will be going. I'd hope that, as AND and ATI are being brought together, it'll bring some powerful combos.

Hmm i better start saving, the price they say for a 6 core phenom is going to be around 300$. that's the 3.0ghz model.

Alot cheaper then int$l that's for sure.

A 6-core processor won't be much more useful than a quad-core for many years yet. As I'm sure anyone else who's had to deal with multithreaded programming will agree, right now its just so complicated, difficult, and time-consuming to write code that uses more than a couple of cores for any games developer to bother supporting more than that.

I guess you're right, but its so tempting :biggrin: , well i have a quad, i guess I'll wait a bit longer until the bring out the tri 3.4ghz Phenoms :thumbsup: .