Way to confirm OOO is working?

Stigg

Hi all,

I am coming back to play Oblivion having never used a mod before. After reviewing a lot of threads here and doing some research, I decided to give OOO a try. I liked the idea of the leveling change and it seems like OOO is a great way to grab that along with a good number of different mods. Reading the sticky, it was suggested I leave a few comments about my setup. I am running Oblivion Game of the Year edition (not through steam) on Vista x64.

I downloaded, unzipped, and copied the following files to me /data directory:

OOO_133_Complete

OOO_134_Beta_5_Patch-15256

I also ran the following programs:

Wrye_Bash_275_-_Self_Installer

and the official Oblivion patch

Talking with a forum friend, he suggested that after I have OOO installed, an easy way to verify it is working was as soon as I get out of the sewers intro to head directly across the lake to Vilverin (the white ruined bandit camp). He said they would be able to kill me with incredible ease.

So I did and I cleaned the place up. Assuming him to be correct, I reinstalled Oblivion fresh and followed the OOO setup guide again, even re-downloading all the files I needed. And once again, Vilverin was a breeze.

Can anybody confirm my friend saying that Vilverin would be much too difficult for a level 1?

Or, is there a simple way to verify that I have OOO running properly? On my way to Vilverin I had to swim through the water where I saw a fish... so I believe I have atleast the OOO-WaterFish running properly.

My data file list is this (all X'ed):

DLCShiveringIsles.esp (Player File)

Knghts.esp (Player File)

Oblivion.esm (Master File)

OOO-WaterFish.esp (Player File)

Oscuro's_Oblivion_Overhaul.esm (Master File)

Oscuro's_Oblivion_Overhaul.esp (Player File)

I'm really looking forward to playing, but getting this mod installed is a bit over my head.

Thanks!

Never had problems running around in Vilveran just out of the start. In fact, I tend to do it quite a bit. Play around for a while, if you have to, pull open the console with ~ (tilde key, below esc and right of the 1 key) click on an NPC (preferably an enemy like the bandits, etc) and type GetLevel. It'll display their current level and if it's relatively high compared to yours... it's working.

Another way is to play the game for a while and see if you get any of the new items dropping. Since you said that you've never played Oblivion without a mod, I'm sure you're VERY familiar with the Longsword, shortsword, mace, 2hand mace, 2hand sword... (IE Iron Longsword, Steel mace). If you find items that deviate from this pattern (say a Scarab Dagger... though I don't think that one is OOO, I'm running FCOM) or some other item that isn't vanilla, it's working.

You can also head over to Anvil area (Gold Coast) and hit up some of the Ayleid Ruins there. If you get demolished by Sylvian (SP?) Rangers that wear Braided armor... it's definately working (might want to use TGM for god mode so you can live long enough to check what the rangers are)

Generally though, if you're not crashing and you've installed OOO correctly... it's running fine. Just run around for a while... it might not be /obvious/ that OOO is working when you first step out of the sewer. I'll see if I can pull up any item codes for you to try with the player.additem command in console to try to add it. If that works, OOO is definately working.

Edit: Just thought of this... downright perfect way. Check your inventory (view all or misc tab) and see if there's an item called Torch Hotkey. It's added from OOO.

OOO adds notices to every city that discuss the local threats. Look near the entrances.

Far west of Anvil, there's a small bay with a sunken ship. It's right by the border. OOO adds a new dungeon called Yeleri to the location.

There's a small village in the forest south of Chorrol. Not Hackdirt, a different village. I forget the name of it, but I believe it's north of the dungeon Elynglynn. In this village, OOO adds a gravestone with a sword of light. Activating this sword will start the quest Path of Iron.

well, if you could see the esps and enabled them so it's pretty sure OOO is working. Else, if the installation was incorrect soon you would be seeing strange things, or 'not' seeing things or just parts of what should be complete things...

You'll need a mod sorting programm like OBMM to reaarange your load order. Change it to look like that:

Oblivion.esm

Oscuro's_Oblivion_Overhaul.esm

DLCShiveringIsles.esp

Knights.esp

Oscuro's_Oblivion_Overhaul.esp

OOO-WaterFish.esp

And try going into Vilverine, I assume your not going to make it out alive^^

Hey all,

Thanks for the information. I did notice the notices on the walls inside the city. And I read elsewhere that the guards inside the city have shiny silver armor in OOO and not in vanilla. So I assume it is working correctly. I will check out the rest of these suggestions tonight!

To Rifler,

I did go in and clear it out... I could tell it was taking a few more shots to kill the mobs inside, but it was never really an issue of staying alive. Perhaps that is what my friend and you mean. I was expecting to get steamrolled though.

Edit: Just thought of this... downright perfect way. Check your inventory (view all or misc tab) and see if there's an item called Torch Hotkey. It's added from OOO.

Thanks for this. Yes, I do have it. Sounds like OOO is working properly then!

Yep, OOO is working. Play around with OOO for a few weeks... then go for FCOM! I can't stand playing Oblivion without FCOM anymore.

Yep, OOO is working. Play around with OOO for a few weeks... then go for FCOM! I can't stand playing Oblivion without FCOM anymore.

Aye, the goal was originally to get FCOM, but with the annoyance of getting OOO installed I stopped. I ran around a bit on my lunch break, went on a few dungeon crawls. Looks great!

What difficulty setting are you on? I have FCOM, and I'm as weak as a newborn lamb at level 3.

I recommend this mod if you like feeling that heavy weight of the steam roller's wheel smashing down upon you:

2. Automatic Difficulty Increaser http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=28589

This little gem forces the difficulty slider to remain in a certain position that changes as you level up. Customizable in an .ini, but no longer can you break immersion by divinely affecting how strong everyone else is. Those Orc vampires in the Azura Shrine Quest are some bad-ass Samuel L. Jackson m---f---ers. Where's the satisfaction in defeating them if you weren't actually scared to death to face them? Also, 100 hits for a mudcrab just so you can farm your blade skill? Come on. Just use the console to raise your skill at the start if you're character was already a bad-ass before getting arrested. There's no shame in it then.