Questions You Always Wanted To Ask...

Stampede

I quite have to disagree with you on that point: one of the way to keep an Empire stable would be to put in province X a governor from province Y and legions troops from province Z (for example: an Breton governor in Valenwood with Nord legions), and to keep them "rotating", thus preventing them from having to much connections with the local powers...this is not my idea: it's how Arthur Hawkwing did it in the Wheel of Time series (and thus can be criticized quite freely :P )

Now maybe no Emperor ever had that idea, and maybe Tamriel races are entangled too much (there are Orcs native in Vvardenfell and so on) for it to function correctly (I wouldn't like to know how kajhits might respond to a dunmer legion in Elsweyr...).

Well I'd have to say that I find it quite weird that there are no "orcish troops in heavy armor" (weren't that the words in the manual?)...

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't see how installing governors who likely will be incapable, maybe even unwilling, to win the respect or loyalty of the native populations would be a sound policy, especially if the express purpose of that policy is to hinder the efficient control and authority they wield over the troops at their command.

The fact is, now that I think of it, that the different countries in tamriel are based on races:

one race = one country (except for the orcs), when in the Wheel of Time there are only humans...

If the troops are loyal to the empire, and the governor is appointed strictly on merit, then there is no reason the troops shouldn't trust the governor: if the emperor appointed him, he must have known what he was doing, so the troops would follow His order, coming from the mouth of the governor. But they could still serve as a counter power if the governor wants to overstep his rights, or if he misuses his power: the principle is the same as in an international soccer or rugby game: the referees always come from another country than the teams, so they should be impartial.But all this is biased in tamriel, as there are too many racial prejudice...

Which brings my silly question: why are there no mixed species?There is one (the breton which are apparently a mix between nibeneans and elves, according to some book ingame), but why are there no other?

I've heard tell that the Wood Elves interbred with humans, they're just closer to Mer than Men (just as Bretons are closer to Men than Mer).

Hence the elves with similar skin color to many humans.

One of the books in-game mentions that offspring take on the racial characteristics of the mother. In that case, Eronor of Weynon Priory and Dagail of the Leyawiin Mages' Guild must have have different mothers, yet the same father (wondering what am I talking about? Ask Prior Maborel about Eronor, and he'll tell you that Dagail is his sister!). The funny thing is, if that were the case then why doesn't Eronor exhibit the same madness that afflicted both Dagail and her (their!) father?

PS: As a consequence of all the time I've spent with Casssie-the-Assassin, I have more than a passing familiarity with Cheydinhal's inhabitants. Hil the Tall, the Nord priest in the Chapel of Arkay, apparently left Skyrim in order to avoid being drafted into Legion service as a combat wizard. This is an indication that portions of the Legion hosts are drawn from the local populations of their respective provinces.

Here is another one: I don't know about the english (or german, or italian or...) version of the game, but in the french version, Namira's voice is that of a man, while the statue quite clearly depicts a woman.

Thus 2 questions:

- are the guys who made the french version irremediably lost to any kind of logic?

- or is Namira actually that small imp-like creature hiding behind the tall girl ?(but it seems illogical too that the statue at a daedric shrine wouldn't depict the Daedra as it's main component)...

Here is another one: I don't know about the english (or german, or italian or...) version of the game, but in the french version, Namira's voice is that of a man, while the statue quite clearly depicts a woman.

Thus 2 questions:

- are the guys who made the french version irremediably lost to any kind of logic?

- or is Namira actually that small imp-like creature hiding behind the tall girl ?(but it seems illogical too that the statue at a daedric shrine wouldn't depict the Daedra as it's main component)...

All sixteen daedric princes have no "gender." They can take on any form they want, but prefer the forms that the statues depict. Thus Namira is both male and female and yet at the same time, niether. BTW Namira isn't the imp. She is the woman.

"...Although some Lords may assume the form of a female, they have no inherent gender, and are all referred to as Princes..."

Wikipedia

Assuming that the name behind a title (like Prior) is the last name, I've noticed that there is an NPC at one of the Daedric shrines with the last name of Maborel. Is this woman and Prior Maborel related in some way? (was that gramatically correct?) Is that his mother? Whom!

why was J'Ghasta from the Brotherhood mission-- a supposed master of unarmed combat-- so easy to kill by someone with a single digit skill in hand-to-hand? I fought him without a weapon twice and slaughtered him both times.

He thought you were his buddy and just playing around, so he was pulling his punches. Surprise, surprise, little kitty!

Archived