Does anyone kno the limitations of dismemberment

ecksile

Can we add more dismemberment types? Or is it hard coded to only except those few? and if we can add more what are the limitations of that for example holes in body, chunks being shot out, Heads being split in half but still attached to body etc..

Can we add more dismemberment types? Or is it hard coded to only except those few? and if we can add more what are the limitations of that for example holes in body, chunks being shot out, Heads being split in half but still attached to body etc..

What I wouldn't give to blow a hole through a mutant's stomach with a Barrett...

As far as I am aware of, the dismemberments are hardcoded to the few special bodypart bone weights (BP_RIGHTARM, BP_LEFTARM, et cetera). And I'm not aware of any ability to add any additional dismemberment weights unfortunately.

So then it hasn't really been looked into yet huh? hmmm...Perhaps i will take a whack at it then. Even if only replacing/sprucing up the vanilla dismemberment's you could simply delete the effects and have 8 different dismember/limb explodes. Pretty much everything would have to be redone but I'm curious. Or even possibly simulate a large hole in a body by using a decal? It would be nice if we could not have to change the dismemberment but able to have multiple types per BP_ that wer just chosen randomly upon activation, if that makes sense?

As far as I know, the "stub" left behind by a removed limb can only be one shape. You can change this so that, for example, half of a super mutant's head is left after it is destroyed, but you can't randomly leave either half the head or none of it behind.

Torso dismemberment, in my experience, causes all other limbs to be dismembered as well such that only gibbets are left, so I don't think blowing a hole through an actor's torso would be doable. Most creatures don't allow torso dismemberment, but NPCs do. You can test it out in the console via KillActor.

Cipscis

I suppose that it might be possible to create new meshes of armor with holes or gory bits that could be scripted to swap with normal armor OnDeath. Might be able to do something similar but less labor intensive with retexturing.

I've experimented with destruction data with some objects but not NPCs. Wonder if NPCs could be created that dissolve into a cloud of flaming bits or fragments like a fire extingisher.

Seems to me that the limits for your concept are the usual: how much effort are you willing to put into it and how much skill do you have with modelling, texturing, scripting and the like.

I am no expert in this area yet. I'm still trying to fully understand dismemberment.

the standard human or ghoul do not make use of all the partitions availible. You could set up more complex body part data and add more partitions to body mesh.

this should in theory allow you to target extra body parts in vats and have those parts dismemberable.

blow a hole in a torso- would involve you editing the hole in the physical geometry of the body and adding a new partion to the area that will get dismembered- . So you would actually be doing torso dismemberment- you'd be using right leg2/left arm3 (doesn't really matter) as the dismemberment part.

Now you have to select a bone that will get dismsmbered in the body part data,... I have no idea what would happen if you decide to use any of the spine or pelivs bones..... I presume this is where it goes stupid. Now if it does, The only thing I can think of is adding new bone(s) to the skeleton, and seeing if you don't actually have to rig any part of the dismembered part to it. :S

then you have to come to adding it to like every armor/clothing in the game if you want it on npcs.....otherwise I recomend only to atempt doing ghouls or something.