Using a CandleFlame in a Magic Effect?

h4n4

\

Well it loos a little bit like a candle (the texture and color are ok) but it behaves like a firball (burning furious) and not like a candle. Also the textures are deformed? when you look at the original candleflame texturs (gimp) they are somewhat square but ingame they get stretched to a long candleflame?

Thanks anyway ill fiddel around with this some more (slthough i would rather like to get the AddOnNode working-.-). This looks like a possible way of doing it but i guess youl need to put a lot of time in to get the look right

oh and btw a pointemitter would be just a NipSysBoxEmitter (i think there are no real point emitters) with w/h/d 0/0/0 right? thats how its dont in the cnadleflame mps i think

and the problem is there are some (a lot) Unknown int/unknow shorts etc and one of them i cant even set to the same state it ha in the mps etc... i think i just have to try and error these?

I'm really just going off my knowledge of other game engines I've worked with. Like I said I'm not fully familiar with bethesdas system, so i'm not sure about a lot, but I'll help you where I can.

As for the deformed textures, the images are being stretched. This is done to save resources on the alpha. When setting the scale there should be individual axis you can set.

By Burning furious it depends what you mean:

If you mean it's distorting a lot try deleteing that billboard I spoke of, or remove the texture.

If you mean it's moving around a lot it'll likely be something to do with some velocity modifier I haven't seen.

As for working with nifs *shrugs*. Anyone who understands how they work is a freaking wizard in my eyes.

I got it working pretty well for now tahnks to your prior post. Now i just have to adjust scaling and the speed of the animation. It just play really really fast. It does the same as to normal candles but 2-3x as fast i think... will figure that out

oh and can someone plz look ate the candlesflame01.nif mps and tell if im right: are there 2 particle systems that add flames? so basicly you allways have 2 flames there that animate independent from each other? cant really tell by looking at candles ingame

i will add the glow effect now first

Edited by h4n4

Hm i cant get the deformation right. Right now the flame is shown as in the Textures (somewhat squezed into a hight). Normal candleflames are higher then that. I think u use the BPSysScaleModifier but all that does is make the texture smaller/bigger (not morph it in one axis). I have 20 floats in tehre and i guess its just used for animation so the different scales are used in order or randomly not sure. I tried finding something like a deformModifier but i cant... there are no such modifiers in the candleFlame01 mps either. I guess thats something that gets passed by the game and then applied via an updateCtrl?

Do i need a GravityModifier for that (that looks a little srange and doesnt really stretch the texture)?

or maybe a BSEffectShader? I dont wanna change the texture i suck at that

Edited by h4n4

Oh hello there mister Unknown Int...

Ok in an NiParticleSystem in the NiSysData the "Unknown Int" 4, 5 and 6 seem to be responsible for stretching/deforming Particles. I have to play some more with that but i think its a great find^^

well be carefull i just bluescreen after a preview error in the CK... the value seem to be very sensible

man that stuff is just random... if i culd just copy the NiPsysData from one nif to another but nifskope doesnt want me to QQ

Edited by h4n4

ok so i got it now... just f***ing bruteforced my values with a hex editor in the nif file cause nifskope would not let me...

will clean up tomorrow (candleflame looks fine now i think) and if anything is still wrong ill just leave it in there nad finish the damn mod!

btw the area around the "Unknown Int" 4, 5 and 6 in the NiSysData is responsible for stretching particles. But you cant just edit the values... they are all cutoff/overlapping etc. you would have to find an allready existing particlsystem and use these values (and if you cant edit them in with nifskop then hexedit the hexvalues directly into the nif file). Hope nifskope gets these options in a future update. they seem really cool.

Edited by h4n4

Hm im trying to use a growFade modifier for my Flame particlesystem but it keeps crashing the creation kit... what is the order value for a growFade modifier? 1000? cant find any documantation/examples

edit: growFade isnt used anymore right? scaleModifier does that now i guess?

Edited by h4n4

Ok ill leave it like that now. I added a Alpha nif for anyone who is intrested to download. Its meant to be used as an "art object" for a "Hit Effect Art" (constant Effect). The praticle systems can be found under the last NiNode (69) and there is a mover NiNode (70) (transform the 69 or 70 NiNodes to move the flame+glow around) witch is currently moved along the z axis. Its attacht to the targets MagicEffectsNode (where all normal spells will hit a target). You should leave the NiControllerManager node (4) and LagBone node (65) alone if u use it as a hit effect.

Dont mind the Naming of all the nodes... they are messed up and ill fix them someday maybe.

The scaling is identical to the CandleFlame01.nif mps but factored by 10 via the BSPSysScaleModifier. Use these modifiersfor scaling.

IMPORTANT: set the the "World Space" value of bothe "NiParticleSystem" nodes to "No" if you want the particles to stick on the target (forgort that sorry)

the rest is up to you.

Thx to Chesko for permission

Nexus download: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/56316/?

http://www.filedropper.com/lightspellactorfxdefaultfrontnuledithorsecandleflamealpha

Thx to all of you who helped me with this

Edited by h4n4

addition to people reading this for information:

Hey i found something out a few days ago, regarding the BSValueNode - AddOnNode49. If you use your Nif as an Artobject for a "Light" (setup in reation kit) and mark that light as "can be carried" the light will be equiped as a torch and the BSValueNode - AddOnNode49 will work!. You would need to use a mgiceffect/script to get the target to equip the light (default equiped as torch). I only tried it on the player real fast. You can probably play around (use AttachT node?) to get a horse or something else to equip the light. Not sure if you can get the target to euip it in another slot then the torch...