Not expecting this - FPS really low (10-20) after adding mods

andyd

I thought with my PC I would be handle most of these mods but I was wrong. I pretty much installed everything listed here...

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Must_Have_Mods

I'm not sure if it all falls down to Qarl's texture mod. I did not use the Redimized version as I thought my PC would be able to handle it. Should I use it anyway? And is it ok to install over the original Qarl package?

QTP is a kind of monster. Of course, if your VRAM is 1GB or above, your graphic card can handle it.... but, there're also other graphic improvment mods, such as... for better LOD. Can you give us your mod list?

I'm about to do exactly the same, although better cities won't being helping fps, but at the moment my game will actually lock up close to the Imperial City (fine elsewhere), I'm guessing the fully QTP3/BC imperial City just uses an insane amount of VRAM that not even my system can handle it.

QTP is a kind of monster. Of course, if your VRAM is 1GB or above, your graphic card can handle it.... but, there're also other graphic improvment mods, such as... for better LOD. Can you give us your mod list?

The main stuff...

OOO

MMM

Enhanced Weather

Better Cities

Qarl 1.3

Really AEVWD + 4096x4096 LODs based on Better Tiling Qarl project

I guess the last part is what you're referring to? I still thought my vid card could handle it but does it make sense to remove that or replace with something else?

I was expecting the detail to be great but to be honest I don't really see that much of a difference between what I played on the 360 years ago and now with this mod. Then again, it has been years so I probably don't remember it properly. Anyway, do you think that's the reason for the slowdown? Any alternatives you recommend?

Using UOP is recommendet, but since I stripped it from my list of mods, the game is much more stable and doesn't crashes. UOP also introduced some nasty "fall through the bottom" bugs. While it does a lot by fixing game bugs, it obviously does a lot to stress your processor, or, intefers negatively with one of the other mods lisetd there.

Better Cities is knowen to create a whole lot of bugs with other mods. You have to make a decision to either use this mod and renounce a lot of others, or use BC and only use that are knwoen to work in conjunction with it. Using a "Monster" like Qarls TP in cunjunction with Better Cities will stress your processor even more. No matter how much RAM you have or how good your graphics device is. Even quad cores have their limits.

Another reason is, you should search for the most up to date version of all this mods listed there. I'm sure there are more recent versions of any.

OOO+MMM need to be correctly installed so it's essential to exactly read booth mods reame...which could take some hours. Parts of the additional MMM plugins will certainly create slowdowns and ctd's in cunjunction with all the texture monsters you've installed.

Apart from that, there are tons of useless mods listed there and i'm again sure, there are much better versions released until today.

Oblivion is limited to 4GB of RAM but only with a special patch installed. Also, are you using onboard sound, cause this is also a major bottleneck. You have to tweak the .ini with onboard sound in cunjunction with so much mod. Turn off music entirely, limit impact sounds to 16 instead of 32 and turn off hardware acceleration, maybe that helps.

Using UOP is recommendet, but since I stripped it from my list of mods, the game is much more stable and doesn't crashes. UOP also introduced some nasty "fall through the bottom" bugs. While it does a lot by fixing game bugs, it obviously does a lot to stress your processor, or, intefers negatively with one of the other mods lisetd there.

Better Cities is knowen to create a whole lot of bugs with other mods. You have to make a decision to either use this mod and renounce a lot of others, or use BC and only use that are knwoen to work in conjunction with it. Using a "Monster" like Qarls TP in cunjunction with Better Cities will stress your processor even more. No matter how much RAM you have or how good your graphics device is. Even quad cores have their limits.

Another reason is, you should search for the most up to date version of all this mods listed there. I'm sure there are more recent versions of any.

OOO+MMM need to be correctly installed so it's essential to exactly read booth mods reame...which could take some hours. Parts of the additional MMM plugins will certainly create slowdowns and ctd's in cunjunction with all the texture monsters you've installed.

Apart from that, there are tons of useless mods listed there and i'm again sure, there are much better versions released until today.

Oblivion is limited to 4GB of RAM but only with a special patch installed. Also, are you using onboard sound, cause this is also a major bottleneck. You have to tweak the .ini with onboard sound in cunjunction with so much mod. Turn off music entirely, limit impact sounds to 16 instead of 32 and turn off hardware acceleration, maybe that helps.

I'm fine with Better Cities not being enabled. I don't think I really need that anyway as I should be ok with the original designs. I didn't really think there were issues with them in the first place. Unchecking them from Mod Manager should be enough for it not to load right

Also, am I supposed to be using Archive Invalidation through mod manager at any point? I have not used that all

I'm fine with Better Cities not being enabled. I don't think I really need that anyway as I should be ok with the original designs. I didn't really think there were issues with them in the first place. Unchecking them from Mod Manager should be enough for it not to load right

Also, am I supposed to be using Archive Invalidation through mod manager at any point? I have not used that all

Dunno about BC, never used it. But there are reports about mods still interfering with the game and other mods, despite them being deacivated. Just as an overall rule and can tell you, less is more. You should get some mods that enhance the game in a positive way. Changing Atmosphere and Weather stays basically what it says...it only changes. The Atmosphere in Oblivion already is awesome neough.

MMM+OOO is always a good choice. FCOM would be too, if it wasn't still in beta status and thus creating some ugly bugs...and what I hate most, crashes. Deadly Reflex 5 and Toaster says share Companion mod is a must have in my opinion. If you're a reality freak you also want to get your hand on Tylers hunger, thirst and sleep mod. Recommendet are shop mods, like Armamentarium, Apachiis Hero and Godess Store or Slofs Goth Shop (if you like Gothic art), it's always good to have some eyecandy for the ladys(or guys) inside the game. Bob's armory, Oonas Outfitters and Tonas Modstore complete this selection.

What I said upside, I had to learn the hard way. I also have a decent system, but Oblivion crashing ang bugging more then actually playing it, is no fun. So I finally came up with this list and didn't changed it the last copple of weeks:

Oblivion.esm
Oscuro's_Oblivion_Overhaul.esm
Mart's Monster Mod.esm
Mart's Monster Mod for OOO.esm
Armamentarium.esm
Kvatch Rebuilt.esm
Toaster Says Share v3.esm
HorseCombatMaster.esm
DaedricHelmFIX.esp
DLCShiveringIsles.esp
phinix-waterfix.esp
CLS-Object Renamer-OBSE.esp
MoveQuestItems - OBSE.esp
Q - More and Moldy Ingredients v1.1.esp
Spell Delete And Item Remove.esp
Living Economy - SI.esp
Living Economy - Items.esp
Map Markers Be Done -Elys-.esp
DLCHorseArmor.esp
DLCOrrery.esp
DLCVileLair.esp
DLCMehrunesRazor.esp
DLCSpellTomes.esp
MaleBodyReplacerV4.esp
Growlfs Hot Clothes.esp
DLCThievesDen.esp
Oscuro's_Oblivion_Overhaul.esp
ArmamentariumLLVendors.esp
ArmamentariumArtifacts.esp
Mart's Monster Mod for OOO.esp
Mart's Monster Mod - Shivering Isles.esp
Mart's Monster Mod - Hunting & Crafting.esp
Mart's Monster Mod - Looting NPCs & Creatures.esp
Mart's Monster Mod - Dungeons of MMM.esp
Mart's Monster Mod - More Wilderness Life.esp
Mart's Monster Mod - City Defences.esp
Mart's Monster Mod - Extra Wounding.esp
Mart's Monster Mod - Farm Animals.esp
Mart's Monster Mod - Diverse WaterLife.esp
Mart's Monster Mod - Slof Horses Complete.esp
Mart's Monster Mod - Diverse Runeskulls Loot OOO.esp
ArmamentariumLL4OOO.esp
ArmamentariumLLMagicOOO.esp
OOO-WaterFish.esp
Amajor7 Imperial Furniture.esp
GB_Oblivion Tournament.esp
Kvatch Rebuilt.esp
Kvatch Rebuilt - OOO Compatibility.esp
Tona's_ModsStore.esp
Apachii_Goddess_Store.esp
Apachii_Heroes_Store.esp
za_bankmod.esp
DLCBattlehornCastle.esp
DLCFrostcrag.esp
Knights.esp
Mart's Monster Mod for OOO - Knights .esp
Harvest [Flora].esp
Harvest [Flora] - Shivering Isles.esp
Harvest [Flora] - DLCVileLair.esp
Harvest [Flora] - DLCFrostcrag.esp
Kyoma's Journal Mod.esp
P1DkeyChain.esp
ScriptIcon_Replacer.esp
Tyler's Hungry, Thirsty, Sleepy, Tired.esp
NoBackwardsRunning.esp
Kyoma's Spell Renamer.esp
MidasSpells.esp
Enchantment Enhanced.esp
EnchantmentRestore.esp
EnchantmentRestore_Wells.esp
StealthOverhaul.esp
Deadly Reflex 5 - Timed Block with no damage or durability changes.esp
DeadlyReflex 5 - Combat Moves.esp
Enchanting Skill.esp
Level_Rates_Modified_x3.esp
Mart's Monster Mod - Resized Races.esp
Toaster Says Share Faction Recruitment.esp
Companion Postal Service.esp
CompanionMaster.esp
OOO-Respawn_Week.esp
Timescale 5x Real-Life.esp
Riflers Grinding Mod.esp

I have another modlist, but that is from my second installation of Oblivion, which I mainly use to mod and try out new mods. To do that simply copy the whole(vanilla) Oblivion folder to another place and make sure to alter the shortcuts to it. Having two installations of the game decomplicates things when trying out mods etc.

Streamline can cause more problems than it fixes on powerful systems. It is intended for very weak systems where you cannot get any thing above about 20FPS It trades FPS for graphics features. And will switch your graphics settings back no matter where you set them.

So what you have is mods to improve the graphics, then a mod to automatically turn them back down.

I recommend at least taking it out for troubleshooting. And if you insist on using it, there is no use in setting your graphics where you want them as it will change them for you the first time FPS drops a little.

Or, at least turning off the FPS enhancing part.

Instead, check the advice on this site, :thumbsup:

TweakGuides.com http://www.tweakguides.com/

Then use other FPS enhancing mods, such as Quiet feet complete and low poly grass.

You don't say how it played before adding in this list of mods. Most are not my choices at all. But everyone likes different things in a game. That's what is so great about mods, you can get whatever you want.

You don't say if you have a sound card or not. I found that an integreated sound card (on the motherboard) killed my fps. By adding in an inexpensive sound card I gained quite a bit of fps.

Going from 2G RAM to 3G RAM made a huge improvement in the game. but 4G just a small change.

And, what do you consider 'acceptable' FPS?