Not expecting this - FPS really low (10-20) after adding mods

andyd

I regret not backing up the default install before messing with things. I may just redownload from steam and work from 0

1. I added Streamline after the fact to see if it would help. I'll remove it. Not sure if it's enough just to delete the folder and esp file but I did just that.

2. It played just fine before the mods but this was before I even upgraded my video card to what I have now. I guess my assumption was that it could handle pretty much anything these mods can throw at it

3. Sound card is not on board. It did come with my motherboard (Asus Maximus) but it is a stand alone pci express card

A solid 30 fps would be nice. Right now if I walk towards a building my fps drops to around 15. When I'm not looking at one, it's in the high 20s.

I will try LODs that are not 4096x4096.

But shouldn't my PC be able to handle all of this? Or do most machines still have trouble with these mods?

Also, I've already spent 140 hours playing through the game when it was first released years ago. I was thinking about playing with mods this time around for a different exprience

Changing the LODs didn't help. I think I may just call it a day and start from scratch again unless someone can recommend something. I don't see why my PC would slow down whenever I'm walking towards a structure. But I also never checked to see how the game will play without all the mods

Well, basically it's up to your consideration. I couldn't life with 30 FPS, I have an average of around 60-70. But low FPs isn't my problem. The problem I'm having is related to Oblivion stuttering/stackering when I enter new exterior areas. And this, as far as I can tell, is related to scripts loading in the background, which strain the processor and not so much the graphics device.

Anything you use in addition to vanilla Oblivion will stress it more, no matter how good your computer is. If you can life with having crashes every 30 minutes or this low fps then go on triyng it again. From my experience I know it won'T get any better, no matter which configuration you use. About LOD, the basic LOD replacer mod from 2006 should be enough. Turn up your graphic to 1280 or 1440 should also be enough with HDR enabled.

About speed enhancing and stuttering removing mods, all that really worked out for me was the 'fast exit 2' mod as it stayed the only one who does what's said in the readme. And to me an improvement off an average 5 fps is no improvement.

I also think that using lot of OBSE mods, like I do, will have a big impact on your processor.

Well, basically it's up to your consideration. I couldn't life with 30 FPS, I have an average of around 60-70. But low FPs isn't my problem. The problem I'm having is related to Oblivion stuttering/stackering when I enter new exterior areas. And this, as far as I can tell, is related to scripts loading in the background, which strain the processor and not so much the graphics device.

Anything you use in addition to vanilla Oblivion will stress it more, no matter how good your computer is. If you can life with having crashes every 30 minutes or this low fps then go on triyng it again. From my experience I know it won'T get any better, no matter which configuration you use. About LOD, the basic LOD replacer mod from 2006 should be enough. Turn up your graphic to 1280 or 1440 should also be enough with HDR enabled.

About speed enhancing and stuttering removing mods, all that really worked out for me was the 'fast exit 2' mod as it stayed the only one who does what's said in the readme. And to me an improvement off an average 5 fps is no improvement.

I also think that using lot of OBSE mods, like I do, will have a big impact on your processor.

I'll just start from scratch again and see how it performs without the mods and work from there.

Which LOD replacer are you referring to?

And what do you mean by 1280 or 1440? Resolution? I have mine at default 1680x1050

I bought the Steam version after getting the new card. I had retail but didn't have it installed

As for the game redownload, I was using the mod manager but there were some things that I installed manually. I rather have something untouched that I can back up while I figure this out.

But at any point, should I be using the archive invalidation thing in the mod manager? I never did

And what do you mean by 1280 or 1440? Resolution? I have mine at default 1680x1050

Yes, that's what I ment. Your graphics card should manage the 1680x1050. But you should also try to lower it to 1280 or 1440 and see how much impact it has on your fps.

Which LOD replacer are you referring to?

this one

I bought the Steam version after getting the new card. I had retail but didn't have it installed

As for the game redownload, I was using the mod manager but there were some things that I installed manually. I rather have something untouched that I can back up while I figure this out.

But at any point, should I be using the archive invalidation thing in the mod manager? I never did

I also have the Steam goty version, so I assume you have goty too. In this case, when making a second installation, just make a copy of your Oblivion folder just where the original one is. Depending on which Oblivion folder you use, simply rename them to something like Oblivion_old or Oblivion_mod. So in case you want to return to the second folder simply name it Oblivion, as the Steam shortcut refers to the Oblivion folder that is placed in your C:\...steamapps\common.

About Mod Manager, you should at least use it to see if you get any red icons of mods that come in OMOD format. I prefer to install them manually, but that's up to you. I think you should stay with the OMOD (Mod Manager) installation, as it exactly tells you which files conflict and get overriden when installing mods.

And yes, you should use the Archive Invalidation when you've installed all of your mods. Specially when they come with .bsa archives. Make sure to tag "BSA redirection" when using Archive Invalidation and make sure that the file "ArchiveInvalidationInvalidated!.bsa" is not inside your Data folder, which sometimes comes with a copple of mods.

It was definitely a mod (or more than one) that were causing the slowdown. I just tried the game now with only unofficial patches applied and skip tutorial mod - consistently 60 FPS at max settings and 1680x1050. I'm backing up the folder now and will install mod by mod to see what is actually causing the slowdown.

Just for testing purpose, disable the sound at the ini file and test the game. Please report the result.

PS: slowdown is not always caused by the graphical device, sometimes it's a system bottleneck and yet often CPU overload. In common the reports here points for heavily populated areas as the worser, what means more scripts and AIs running at a time.

So you should make sure to follow the multithread part from this page, actually the whole article may help there.

About the sound affecting FPS... that's a known and old issue with that engine, sometimes with no real solution other than buying a off board sound card, many other times it's possible to reduce or workaround the problem.