My 3d modeling stuff

uedftus

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's probably because like I said the swords are easy.

Secondly it takes a different sort of modeling skill to make characters. Some people that's all they do. As much as it pains me to turn down a request I will probably have to do that to the armors. I'm working on 30 other models, my website, and of course my own off-line life so I gotta say "no" to this one. As a consolation prize I will get these swords done today. As for a download, I cannot say when my website will be done, but I'm making big progress every day.

The main thing that holds up my website is the 30 pack of models I need to finish, take screen captures of, make thumbnails of those, link them in my website editor, etc. I'm getting about 2 models done each day with high quality, some of high poly some of low poly [if I get a high poly done then someone else can make a low poly and bake them... I can't do everything lol! The pack is my biggest priority right now.]. I'm also working harder than ever on learning to texture in Maya and that's a big step for me in any case.

Lol plus then when I'm an experienced texture artist [i'm not worried about the art, but the process of getting maps into Photoshop CS4 and them wrapping them on the model, that's the part I'm researching] I'll get requests like nuts. Which is in one sense what I want, to be a one-stop guy. I model, texture and that's basically all you need for a custom item creation person. I would be that person, one of many others in the world but it would be momentous step for me and I'm getting there, slowly but surely.

EVERYTHING I have ever wanted to get done I have finished since I have that insane determination that is part of my personality, and texturing and applying the texture to the model is yet another thing I really want to learn and become comfortable with and I will! I guess I will be looked on as a professional because I get so many happy comments on my models and I want my textures to reflect my decent skill of models, and some people will stop requesting things thinking I've somehow become above them but as long as I keep my roots in the forums like this place here and everyone can see my humble beginnings I'm hoping that won't happen. I'm a dedicated member here and on other forums too so I'm confident I won't be seen as a sell-out, or a person out of reach.

It hurts my image wherever I go and have to turn down a request, it makes me look incompetent but I'd rather get better and do advanced modeling [in regards to my skill level] when I can actually do it decently instead of half-assing it if I tried to do it now. I know I COULD do all of your paladins but I would probably do a re-do 6 or 9 times until I got one that I liked and all those re-dos hurt my mojo but also waste time. It's like building a house with a hammer, nails, mixing my own mortar, cutting down trees for beams but in the future I could have an air-nailer, fresh-cut wood from the lumber yard, and pre-mixed mortar. If you didn't get that metaphor [First I'm going to cry], just know that I'm not skilled enough to do your request that the LEVEL I CONSIDER ACCEPTABLE and thus I must respectfully decline.

I needed to get that out lol.

I'm working like a madman to get this pack done with good quality so I can upload it. Plus I have taken pics of my physical works like wood, pottery, printing, etc so that adds a lot to my portfolio, a large part of my website overhaul.

An American 180 sub machine gun request I just finished.

http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/6130/american1801.gif

http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/6819/american1802.gif

This was a FAST gun. Like 20 minutes. I'd def like to do a high poly redo... I can see this thing pimped out hardcore.

Grip is pretty sharp, will chamfer that a bit.

==

Drew out some bow concepts yesterday for more concept art on my website. I want to make them 3d models. They're further down on the list for the 30 models pack but I'm really digging them so far. I have two elven-inspired bows and 1 heavy ornamental daedric bow. I was thinking of you guys when I made them. Not creepy lawl. :tongue:

Fixed up the 180. Cleaned up rear sight too. Finished.

Working on the auto pistol some more today.

http://img693.imageshack.us/img693/2081/mdspistolmay26th1.gif

errr...

I post one more time today

http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/5978/progresst.gif

It's been hectic today. Been modeling as fast as I can. Thankfully not burned out yet. I'm about 60% or so done with these models. I have about 3 fairly hard ones left like the AUG A2, AK Type, and the WA2000. I'm not worried about any other models besides those. A lot of the ones I've not started like the crossbow thing I can knock out in an hour or less. Someday soon I'm gonna make like 6 models in a day. That'll be a big weight off my shoulders when it happens and I'll be like 90% done with the pack by then.

I've been churning out at least 2 concept art pieces each day for about 4 days now. I hope to keep that up. It expands my concept art section on my website but also gives me more "concept art-to-3d model turn arounds" I can do. I like those closed-loop things were I don't have to get ref images from everywhere on the internet to get things accurately modeled. It' not like it's a pain to do things that way but I like to mix it up now and then and make something entirely of my own creation like the Determinator rifle. Also trying to do different kinds of concept art, like some architecture, props, etc.

And my madness extends further... the 30 pack is great and all that but now I can't add anything on to it or else seriously it would never get done. The more I model, when it's fun and it's nearly always fun, the more I want to model. Like I finished the American 180 SMG this morning. Then I cranked out the request Shredder Gauntlets, then I finished 3 swords from a paladin-inspired request. Then I made huge progress on the auto pistol. Tomorrow, like the past few days, I will get a minimum of 2 models done. That's what I average, every day for the last few days now. It's faster than I usually make models but I've never had such a big release party like this 30 package is.

One last thing,

I keep calling it a 30 pack or package or party or whatever my diseased mind wants to call it. In reality when it's done and will be released in combination with my re-vamped website, it won't be "pack" at all. I just call it a pack because all the models are contained with sub-folders inside of my Maya folder in my windows directory. When they're all done they will all be seperate download packages. As soon as I get a model done I take images of it, and export to maya [.mb] and to object [.obj]. Sometimes I need to export twice if the model has an animation-ready part like a magazine [ie the top magazine on the American 180 SMG is a seperate model]. So when all 30 models are done it'll be at least 60 files. 1 model = 1 exported format of .mb and 1 exported format of .obj in respective .rar folders. And if the gun model happens to have a magazine that means 1 more .rar with an .obj and a .mb for the magazine. Which means, basically, 1 model that I take an image of could in reality be 4 .rar packages. I'm not trying to say it's hard or make excuses, I just want to explain to you guys HOW I WORK.

Bed time. :p

Which ones? My memory sucks sorry

--

Update: web design is complete. Adding models and download links to it. Hope to get it done tomorrow. Happy how things are looking so far.

• 2 weeks later...

Which ones? My memory sucks sorry

--

Update: web design is complete. Adding models and download links to it. Hope to get it done tomorrow. Happy how things are looking so far.

uh my plyons and the werewolf architecture

werewolf? I don't remember that...

---

Some stuff, guns

Finished up some guns, could use more detail maybe or fixing

http://cahemdue.net/images/ConSMGType3_1.gif

http://cahemdue.net/images/RailGunRifle_2.gif

http://cahemdue.net/images/CheyTac_1.gif

I couldn't get the boolean stuff to work on the cheytac where the stock rods would fit into beyond the mag but it looks a lot better than my previous. Oh yeah and I didn't add a bolt channel to the cheytac, it needs that too.