Join Empire or Stormcloaks? My Thoughts

LeddBate

Well, if you've started to disagree with the lore, then there's really nothing I can do to convince you of anything.

I said the lore doesn't make sense. I did acknowledge that it does exist.

The hypocrisy of how the Vigilants are treated vs the Thalmor is independent of the legality of Daedra worship, and if Daedra worship is legal, then the acceptance of the Vigilants is even more hypocritical, not less so.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But that's just it. If Vigilants or the Dawnguard are caught assaulting people in the streets, they are treated as criminals.

Do the Thalmor even patrol the streets of Markarth? I am pretty sure they don't assault people on the streets of Solitude, and certainly don't do so in Riften, Whiterun, Windhelm, or anywhere in Skyrim, even if they do have legal authority to do so.

They are staking out at least one wilderness Shrine of Talos, but that is in the wilderness.

Meanwhile if daedra worshipers are as well protected by law as you claim, why the remote and/or hidden locations? Obviously they are not protected very well in the cities, are they?

@Kimmera

The shrine to Azura is not exactly hidden, you can see it from miles away. Also, innkeepers tell you that you should go see it, so it doesn't seem like the Empire has made any new laws regarding Daedra worship. They seem to let the worshipers and the Vigilants do their own thing, and not interfere with either group.

Oi, now I remember why I stopped comming here... Not enough time to keep up anymore. I must be getting old...

Any who... Daedra Worship has never been illegal, at any point outside of Summerset. That said, the Vigilants of Stendar are not an exactly new phenomenon, but a radicalized faction of the Temple of Stendar which has existed since at least the Interregnum. They've just become more popular since the Oblivion Crisis.

@Kimmera

If they just asked, then why would everyone have to keep their shrines hidden in the basement, like Hadvar says? They weren't the Spanish Inquisition, but they did force people to worship Talos in secret.

They seem to have closed the Temples. That's it. Hadvar mentions that everyone STILL had their shrine in their homes, implying that the Shrines were normal well before the ban, and there's no indication that the Imperials policed the Shrines of gatherings of the worshippers. All they did was shut the doors to the state-run temples.

@Kimmera

The shrine to Azura is not exactly hidden, you can see it from miles away. Also, innkeepers tell you that you should go see it, so it doesn't seem like the Empire has made any new laws regarding Daedra worship. They seem to let the worshipers and the Vigilants do their own thing, and not interfere with either group.

But 'their thing' is hunting and killing Daedra worshipers. The Thalmor 'thing' is hunting and killing Talos worshipers. Why is the former ok and socially acceptable but the latter not?

@Kimmera

But 'their thing' is hunting and killing Daedra worshipers. The Thalmor 'thing' is hunting and killing Talos worshipers. Why is the former ok and socially acceptable but the latter not?

Especially when one isn't illegal, and the other is. Whether you agree with it or not (and, for the record, I don't) Talos is an illegal deity. The Daedra are not.

@Kimmera

No, the Vigilants are tolerated, not accepted. You want to wipe out the Hall of the Vigilants or Fort Dawnguard? No law enforcement will stop you from doing so.

No, the Vigilants are tolerated, not accepted. You want to wipe out the Hall of the Vigilants or Fort Dawnguard? No law enforcement will stop you from doing so.

And yet the Dawnguard only hunt vampires. And killing vampires on public streets is completely legal. Law enforcement not stopping you from eliminating the Vigilants in the remote base does not change the fact that people speak out against the Foresworn, and people speak out against the Thalmor but no one speaks out against the Vigilants or seems to consider them criminals or bad.