1. 1. Should the USA concentrate on?

• Luna (the Moon)
    • Mars
    • Low Orbit around Terra (the Earth)
    • Give up on the whole space effort
    • Any target will do
    • Have no opinion

[OT]

I could never stay at home when there was chance 'to go a viking'.

Hear, hear! Den trettonde krigaren må icke vara en från norr *g*

Heysan! A grandiose buccaneer from Vinland on viking. Congratulations ... and skol :woot:

On how many vikings and whereto has he participated in the past then?

[/OT]

http://www.greensmilies.com/smile/smiley_emoticons_unknownauthor_lady.gif Hannah

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I was speaking of was the carefully planned step by step colonisation of the moon, not the whole universe. The moon is very close, relatively speaking, is a solid base for colonies and has an excellent chance for becoming largely independent. The moon even has water as was proven recently. Indeed the moon could become an exporter of special goods to the home world, goods that are made under conditions of light gravity or in zero gravity in space platforms orbiting the moon. Such goods could improve life back on the home world.

The moon is not the universe. It will give us a platform for us not only to study and better understand the rest of space but our own world.

Military spending on our world has reached insane proportions. Compared to this the whole space program budget of the whole world is a tiny drop in the ocean.

We will not solve the world's problems by stopping the space race but slowing down the arms race will do the trick very nicely. It's military spending, not space spending, that drains resources away from any real hope of fixing the Earth. So the space missions are halted and another super aircraft carrier, another million guns, another supersonic fighter jet, are built. The resources not spent on manned space missions or colonising the moon tends to go to military spending.

The US Government cut spending to the Apollo Program so it could spend more on the Vietnam War.

The manned space program is a big juicy target for anybody wanting to find a quick solution to various problems but it is no real solution at all.

[OT]

Heysan! A grandiose buccaneer from Vinland on viking. Congratulations ... and skol :woot:

[/OT]

@Balagor

I don't understand Norwegian, and google is no real help... do you know whar he is saying? :wacko:

The best I can make out is "The tired evil warrior..." the rest won't translate , or rather is not coherent in English.

[OT]

[/OT]

@Balagor

I don't understand Norwegian, and google is no real help... do you know whar he is saying? :wacko:

The best I can make out is "The tired evil warrior..." the rest won't translate , or rather is not coherent in English.

@Aurielius, you are quoting @ Surenas, but you approach me. :thumbsup:

Never the less I will translate the Norwegian for you. It is taken from the film "The 13th warrior" with Antonio Banderas.

It says: "The 13th warrior can not be one from the north"

@Aurielius, you are quoting @ Surenas, but you approach me. :thumbsup:

Never the less I will translate the Norwegian for you. It is taken from the film "The 13th warrior" with Antonio Banderas.

It says: "The 13th warrior can not be one from the north"

@Balagor

When you want a Norwegian translation you go to a Scandinavian first, and somewhat farther down the list an Israeli.

Anyway, thanks for the translation....still don't see the relevance though. :dry:

@Surenas

We seem to be victims of a common language. Some things are not in my provence to understand evidently.

What I was speaking of was the carefully planned step by step colonisation of the moon, not the whole universe. The moon is very close, relatively speaking, is a solid base for colonies and has an excellent chance for becoming largely independent. The moon even has water as was proven recently. Indeed the moon could become an exporter of special goods to the home world, goods that are made under conditions of light gravity or in zero gravity in space platforms orbiting the moon. Such goods could improve life back on the home world.

The moon is not the universe. It will give us a platform for us not only to study and better understand the rest of space but our own world.

Military spending on our world has reached insane proportions. Compared to this the whole space program budget of the whole world is a tiny drop in the ocean.

We will not solve the world's problems by stopping the space race but slowing down the arms race will do the trick very nicely. It's military spending, not space spending, that drains resources away from any real hope of fixing the Earth. So the space missions are halted and another super aircraft carrier, another million guns, another supersonic fighter jet, are built. The resources not spent on manned space missions or colonising the moon tends to go to military spending.

The US Government cut spending to the Apollo Program so it could spend more on the Vietnam War.

The manned space program is a big juicy target for anybody wanting to find a quick solution to various problems but it is no real solution at all.

Yup. When the nonsense by the military industrial complex down here is over and the wheel has been broken this guys can go build up the moon so they wont get stinky. A unified space program in that respective could be like therapy and bring everyone together.

I dont know tho, what could you produce on the moon, if its gotten a self sufficient colony? Of course much is left to projections. Stil im interested.

I simply dont know. What makes this place cool?

For me it would be having an amazing nightsky and playing golf i guess and just trying every thing thats there to try in low gravity.

I dont know tho, what could you produce on the moon, if its gotten a self sufficient colony? Of course much is left to projections. Stil im interested.

I simply dont know. What makes this place cool?

@Hoshi

Mining the moon for fuel used in nuclear fusion reactors is among NASA's 200-plus set of mission goals and could precipitate another reason for other countries and private investors to join future lunar exploration.

The substance that has the best potential is an isotope called helium-3, a form of helium but with only one neutron instead of two. It is extremely rare on earth as it is created during very active nuclear reactions, most commonly found on the surface of the sun, but here can only be found as a by-product of the maintenance of nuclear weapons.

Research at the Fusion Technology Institute at the University of Wisconsin has also suggested that the process of mining helium-3 would produce other minerals to support space settlements. Nitrogen, methane, helium, water, carbon-oxygen compounds and hydrogen produced from mining, could permit food growth and development of a water supply for lunar inhabitants.

The main question is the effective amount of the natural water reservoir in the northern moon craters, far far away from the earlier equatorial landing zone, its valuable utilization for drinking water (presupposition for any living and production in enclaves on the moon) and as cost-effective rocket fuel source, to mention just one possibility.

@ Aurelius

I have indeed the scholarly tendency to quote in the respective original language of the source, quasi to pepper a text. A matter of training, I guess. And that's the case for ancient authors (like your Herodot) as well as for modern. Thus I beg your pardon.

_Hannah

@ Aurelius

I have indeed the scholarly tendency to quote in the respective original language of the source, quasi to pepper a text. A matter of training, I guess. And that's the case for ancient authors (like your Herodot) as well as for modern. Thus I beg your pardon.

_Hannah

@Surenas

No pardon required, please feel free to quote in the original language but could you add a translation in parenthesis below it? When I use a Latin or Greek quote I assume that not everyone else is fluent. :thumbsup:

I should apologize also, I erroneously assumed you were Israeli instead of Dutch..I guess I "went a bridge too far".

@Surenas

No pardon required, please feel free to quote in the original language but could you add a translation in parenthesis below it? When I use a Latin or Greek quote I assume that not everyone else is fluent. :thumbsup:

I should apologize also, I erroneously assumed you were Israeli instead of Dutch..I guess I "went a bridge too far".

Thanks for your patience. I will offer a translation henceforth :smile:

And yes - I am Dutch, but of Israeli origin (thus for example always interested in military history and alike) :thumbsup:

http://www.greensmilies.com/smile/smiley_emoticons_unknownauthor_lady.gif Hannah