Gore and "The Elder Scrolls V"

Bael

Thought this would fit in here, correct me if I'm wrong or there is already a topic on this.

So it would appear it has been four years since Oblivion (eight since Morrowind) and I figured the next instalment was due.

with Vegas on the known horizon

TES V would be delayed by 2-4 years.

New Vegas was made by Obsidian not Bethesda. And Bethesda producer Paul Oughton says there may be possibly be a new Elder Scrolls in 2010, according to an article on the site Maximum PC. Plus, Bethesda likes the E3, scheduled for June 15-17 this year. I can assure you there will be news. In fact I'll buy you all a beer if there isn't even a hint of TES V at E3 2010. If you don't mind drinking Canadian, that is.

I am afraid this has gone off topic terribly, could we get back to if there is going to be Fallout-esq gore in the new game please? I weary of talk about the Gamebryo Engine, I've heard it all before. It doesn't change.

It's not always the game engine that determines how pretty graphics look, yes they do have a big role in graphics and how they look, but what really makes the graphics is the digital artists behind the graphics. If you do not have great artists, then your graphics will turn out bad no matter how good the engine is.

I do agree with the notion though that Bethesda needs to work with something other than gamebryo though. Me personally, I would like to see Tes V made on either Cryotek or Unreal Engine 3.

Personally I'd like to see Beth use an IdTech engine, not saying those engines aren't good but I'd like to see Beth to work with a sister company that knows game engine as opposed to going outside ZeniMax Media for the game engine

For the most part, a little bit of gore might work, but probably won't be to the same degree as it was with fallout 3 since Bethsoft seems to like the idea of making the TES games fit into a younger age rating so that it can sell to a larger market. Morrowind was rated for teenagers, as was Oblivion when it first came out. TES games don't have much violence, gore, or strong language, and having those aspects in a new game would likely ruin the allure of the fantasy world they have created. In contrast, Fallout has always been rated for mature audiences ever since the ratings were even started, and always has had strong content.

Even if they come to decide that TESV will end up being rated Mature for other reasons, they probably won't decide to change the rest of the game to follow suit simply because the game itself wouldn't feel the same. Dismemberment also made creating new clothing and armor rather difficult (as did working around the pipboy for the player) so chances that they aren't going to do that unless they decide to seriously skimp down on the clothing and armor types. As Oblivion and TES games also lack something like VATS, there wouldn't be much control where the player would be hitting things. As is, Fallout 3 treated the whole body as a hitzone when using a melee weapon.

That said, the way that gore was handled in FO3 was a bit too excessive with how a 9mm round had the ability to decapitate someone and body parts had a tendency to just fall off or turn to goo without much force.

Well, I certainly wouldn't mind if they added the ability to hack-n-slash parts off similar to how Deadly Reflexes does it...

1. Only an occasional thing.

2. Requires the right weapons (e.g. An arrow has 0% chance of dismemberment, claymore has 50% chance, etc.)

3. Body location damage based on where you are aiming (novel concept...I know)

4. Consequences of location damage (damaged knee makes running away impossible, hits in face cause blur (reduced marksman), hits in arm reduce shield/weapon usage, etc.)

From my understanding, Morrowind was really all about roll of the dice when it came to combat.

Oblivion improved upon that by still having the dice rolling but also added a touch of twitch skill as necessary ingredients.

I hope the next iteration goes further with location-based damage and affected gameplay...and the experiment that is FO3 seems to suggest that is what they plan to do.

LHammonds

Lets hope the new elderscolls will be quad optimized, it would really make me annoyed if they ended up using the same requirements as of Oblivion and Fallout 3. DX 11 PLEASE!!!.

Lets hope the new elderscolls will be quad optimized, it would really make me annoyed if they ended up using the same requirements as of Oblivion and Fallout 3. DX 11 PLEASE!!!.

DX 11 probably won't happen. Not enough of the typical store-bought systems support it. As much as it might be nice for a company to build to the gaming crowd, it's the normal user who usually gets targeted since there is a larger customer base. However, there will always be the potential for modding to up the graphics potential, just look at what they've been doing with MWGE and OBGE, both can be used to accomplish astounding graphics. More importantly, those graphics can be done with DX 10 shaders.

But, I think you misread the topic, we're talking about Gore in TESV, not Core.

Just remember guys, if it doesn't have the Gamebryo engine, what will become of the modding capabilities.....

I might not be moddable at all.... :whistling:

Actually I'm hoping, despite the fact that they won't, go with Unreal Engine 3. With the unreal engine, the sky's the limit with what we can mod; everything, and I mean everything is moddable. Not just stats, graphics, characters, but also core game components, something that we can't do with gamebryo. And with a full source license, Bethesda should still be able to use their esm/esp system, making a modding combo that's almost a gift from God. Unreal Engine 3 + esm/esp system = modder's dream setup. But, it's just a dream, because I know Beth will not even consider switching engines.

Back to Gore.

I think that they shouldn't go all gory. That sort of thing should be saved for the Fallout games. Oblivion is touted as a fantasy game, and as such making it go all hack 'n' slash would be a drastic departure. However, I do support the idea of limb crippling, like in F3, in the next Elder Scrolls game.