Curious, how dependant is Skyrim on Steam?

TwilightDB

Steam can be in offline mode and you don't have to to worry about it that much, except for the occasional logging on to update the client. It's really not that big of a deal. I can't imagine they wouldn't make some kind of arrangement if Steam wasn't going to support it anymore. How likely would that be anyway since the Creation Kit and Workshop are tied into that as well?

Even if the game was removed from the steam store, it doesn't affect anyone that already owns a copy of the game - I have several games that have since been removed from the store and I can (and have) re-downloaded and re-installed then few times since.

In Skyrim's case though, I don't see it being removed - there's far too many company ties and other titles listed for it to go without a major upset happening between Valve and Bethesda first.

Steams actually really good for stuff like that, so I think we can hold Valve to that promise. I even have a few games which I bought in hard copy before they were offered on Steam, and I contacted them with proof of my hard copies, and they straigh up gave me steam copies (he Desiples 2 games, Dawn of War and several Heroes of Might and Magic titles).

So far, Steam has lived up to their promise of providing a stable gaming environment for years. A friend of mine has a lot of Steam problems, the program takes over a minute to start after boot, so she uses an unofficial (I think) patch to play Skyrim without Steam running. Me, I just use Steam in offline mode, even when I don't have an internet connection, Skyrim still works. As long as you have it installed and working it doesn't really matter if Steam goes offline or shuts down.