Collision mesh keeps crashing Fallout 3!

Guest Messenjah

Guest Messenjah

Ok, so I have figured out how to hack together a single collision mesh for an object. The problem is... I can't seem to set one up correctly for a Nif file containing multiple nitristrips.

I'm creating a glass table with a neon light between the glass, table-top and the base of the table so that the glass will be translucent and will have a slight blue glow. All of my glow maps and textures work correctly but the issue I found, was that when I combined all my meshes into a single static mesh so I could apply the custom collision mesh in Nifskope, I couldn't see the light or the base rendered beneath the glass itself in-game. So, I had to separate the base, the glass, and the light to get my lighting effect to work.

How I set it up in Nifskope is I copied the tabletop nitristrip data into the ashtray nitristrip data. Then I copied the ashtray01:0 branch and pasted it into the same nif file in order to create a duplicate and re-named it to ashtray01:1. I then created and copied over the collision mesh data and removed any unwanted branches as usual. Sanatized, updated tangent spaces and saved my file.

It looks good in-game and when I shoot at the mesh initially it will look fine but after I shoot it again and again... the game will crash!

Any ideas on what I could be doing wrong?

Ok, so I have figured out how to hack together a single collision mesh for an object. The problem is... I can't seem to set one up correctly for a Nif file containing multiple nitristrips.

I'm creating a glass table with a neon light between the glass, table-top and the base of the table so that the glass will be translucent and will have a slight blue glow. All of my glow maps and textures work correctly but the issue I found, was that when I combined all my meshes into a single static mesh so I could apply the custom collision mesh in Nifskope, I couldn't see the light or the base rendered beneath the glass itself in-game. So, I had to separate the base, the glass, and the light to get my lighting effect to work.

How I set it up in Nifskope is I copied the tabletop nitristrip data into the ashtray nitristrip data. Then I copied the ashtray01:0 branch and pasted it into the same nif file in order to create a duplicate and re-named it to ashtray01:1. I then created and copied over the collision mesh data and removed any unwanted branches as usual. Sanatized, updated tangent spaces and saved my file.

It looks good in-game and when I shoot at the mesh initially it will look fine but after I shoot it again and again... the game will crash!

Any ideas on what I could be doing wrong?

an easy thing to do woud be to take an vanilla fallout3 table. past your table over the fallot3's one. and then use the fallout3's table's colition.

simple :)

Guest Messenjah
Except I would still have the same exact issue, I wouldn't be able to paste in multiple nitristrips with one single collision mesh and my table is shaped nothing like any fallout 3 table collision mesh.

how would you not?.

after you have pasted over the 1st strip over the f3 table.

move it into the collition marker.

duplicate the strip you pasted & past another part over the duplicate.

duplicate that one & past over with a new strip & keep doing it till you have all your table parts in.

ppl wont knotice if you have a box collition on the table or just some flat panel colition. aslong as it fits the surface of the table & you can put things on it youl be cool :)

Except I would still have the same exact issue, I wouldn't be able to paste in multiple nitristrips with one single collision mesh and my table is shaped nothing like any fallout 3 table collision mesh.

you could have as many shape/strips as you want. the collision will still do its thing regardless of what ever else you decided to put into the nif.

but if a borrowed collision mesh doesn't fit your mesh that well, that is alone reason enough to use a custom collision.

tbh there could be many reasons why you get crashing. I myself have had my fair share of collision woes when the exporters were not as functional, and before I got the hang of it.

I can't diagnos what you did wrong because I don't quite understand when you described your collision creation workflow. seeing a blck list/block details screenshot from nifskope or seeing the nif would go a long way.

So this is a custom exported collision mesh from blender/max?