windows and games...

Syntax1985

not really about a specific game, but games in general.

when i used to play games on xp, specifically sim games ( anno, sim city, sims 3 ect ) where time is a huge factor, i used to set things up, minimise, watch a episode of the simpsons, then jump back into the game to see my resources ect had collected over time.

however now using windows 7, and previously vista, my games pause when minimised. its not just paticular games, its all.

sims 3

anno 1401 + venice

X3

just cause 2

C&C RA3

list goes on ( yup i have no life :P )

anyone know how to stop this ?

Hmmm i don't think this is a windows 7 issue. I think there might be a program causing it, I have C&C 3 and it has no issues at all.

I have several others like Metro, Just Cause 2 you name it, no minimizing. Have you tried using windows 7's xp mode, or other os backwards compatibility.

And sometimes it's part of the game itself. Many newer games don't react well to alt-tabbing, and doing so can cause significant instabilities simply because of how much is being processed. Other things also disallow alt-tabbing because this is often used to employ bots, cheat engines, and other software that is intended to change game behavior.

Most games that are newer that I've played pause when I hit alt-tab or the "oh s***" key (Windows key :tongue:) It can be annoying but it's saved my butt more than once when I'm playing Tomb Raider Underworld lol.

Most games that are newer that I've played pause when I hit alt-tab or the "oh s***" key (Windows key :tongue:) It can be annoying but it's saved my butt more than once when I'm playing Tomb Raider Underworld lol.

Lol i almost forgot about the alt sticky function that could be the problem, i think there is a way to disable that ..cough.. feature :whistling:

if its set it can minimize games when pressing the shift key.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/disable-the-irritating-sticky-filter-keys-popup-dialogs/

note in some cases the sticky windows doesn't even show up. If you press a key to fast or slow, it would minimize the window or game.

Yeah, it's got to be the games themselves. Last month I bought Disciples II from gog.com and it allows alt-tab switching (the game does pause, but it is still there when I go back to it). Oblivion, Fallout 3 and Morrowind all crash when I alt+tab out of them and back.

It's a nice feature when I want to do something else at the same time as I render in DAZ Studio - on a multicore CPU with affinities set up in the task manager it's possible to play with good framerate and still render at a decent speed for most scenes.

Must not be the OS, cause each and every game i through at it runs fine for me, it could be hardware conflicts, i had that a lot with xp :verymad: .