Lifetime of Skyrim Modding

Lyalle

Hey,

this question is more for the purpose of easing my anxiety about it, but I guess it could facilitate some sort of discussion as well. How long do you think Skyrim modding will be popular? I.e. how many more months/years does it appear that people will continue to consistently release new content?

Or, do you think people will continue to mod until the release of a new ES?

I've got a large-scale mod that's been in my mind for the past two years but due to trouble and inconsistency with my learning, I've still got a lot to learn before I could release it. Hence the worry about not getting it done in time!

Hey,

this question is more for the purpose of easing my anxiety about it, but I guess it could facilitate some sort of discussion as well. How long do you think Skyrim modding will be popular? I.e. how many more months/years does it appear that people will continue to consistently release new content?

Or, do you think people will continue to mod until the release of a new ES?

I've got a large-scale mod that's been in my mind for the past two years but due to trouble and inconsistency with my learning, I've still got a lot to learn before I could release it. Hence the worry about not getting it done in time!

Skyrim will be a popular game to mod far longer than Oblivion was. While new content will certainly abate after the next TES game comes out, it will probably remain for a couple of years after that at a semi-steady pace. But there'll be years before the next game comes out - they have to come out with the next Fallout game first, which make take anywhere from another year to 3 more years, and then maybe 2-4 more years after that for the next TES game.

Morrowind is still being modded, Oblivion is still being modded, Fallout 3 is still being modded, Fallout New Vegas is still being modded. You can see where I am going with this, all these games have extreme lifetimes because of modding. Its safe to say that Skyrim will be active in a popular manor for another 3 or more years until the next TES game comes out, then it will slow down but still be active for many more years.

The TES modders and Fallout modders do not often stick to each others games well, there will be a surge of interest and it will die out after the TES crowd gets tired of the shooter or RPG aspects of the Fallout game. Then the Fallout crowd will continue on without most the TES modders.

At least that is how it was with FO3 and FNV.

You still have plenty of time.

New Vegas and Fallout 3 have very active modding communities. Oblivion is decently active for a game of its age, and Morrowind is still being modded too. Considering the overall flop of TES Online, and considering the enormous possibilities of scripting with Skyrim, I think that modding for it will keep on going for a long time to come.