Two Worlds

The Extreme TES

No it's not the dark ages last time I looked. Just because a game doesn't have both genders as a playable character is meaningless if the game is good. There are plenty of new games that do have the option, but I wouldn't say they had good game play mechanics and an engaging story, just because they are new.

You interested me into look at this game, even though there are massive issues with it. I'll definitely look more forward to the sequel though and I heard great things about it.

I tried Dragon Age and personally I don't care how good the story is, the mechanics of the game are atrocious. I can read a book with a better story without the aggravation. Oblivion, even though it's a great game went down the wrong track when it differed so much from Morrowind. Now that is an RPG worth playing.

Fallout 3 got boring really quickly and I didn't even finish the main quest. It's too much of the same thing over and over. If I want 200 kinds of guns I can play Half Life 2, Crysis or any other FPS which I also like to play.

I'm just curious do you use PC or console? DA uses the same D&D formula that BioWare is famous for but the toolset and game mechs aren't the best (more like as one character in the game would state "wading through the swamp") but there are mods to compensate(thank god).Oblivion uses the mechs that were used in Morrowind and other Elder Scroll games but the story was just too short and lack direction and was below Morrowind by a mile. The game cannot be played anymore without mods, which is sad (no offensive to modders) as a game should first be enjoyed as it is before mods are added. Fallout 3 wasn't as great as I thought and wasn't as great as the first two.

Quite an assumption you make here. You might be surprised I am female and have been playing games since before the first PC was available. I started out with the Amiga 1200 and have played games of all genres over all those years. I also know plenty of female gamers who don't much care if the character they play is male or female if the game is playable and worth the effort. The gender issue people keep on about in RPG's gets a bit boring after awhile to tell you the truth. I get sick of hearing about it and I don't see a problem role playing as a male if that's the only choice. It's the storyline and other attention to other details that are important, but that's just my opinion.

One thing about the games I mentioned..ie the Gothic series and Risen in particular, is they never crash or glitch even after playing from midnight 'til dawn non stop. There aren't many new games that can say that that I've played and I have all of the games you mentioned, including The Witcher which also doesn't have a female playable character.

I agree with this statement. I'm not fussy about which gender I use and I don't think the majority of female gamers don't care either.

Extreme revived my nerdrage

"The Extreme TES has a right to an opinion without being put down about it and I notice he or she hasn't been back to comment. You don't have to like my opinions either, but there it is. I'm not forcing them on anyone."

Ok i havent been posting 2 or 3 days...But that doesnt mean i dont see what people are writing :confused: ....First of all....As the Maigrets said i have my opinion and if you dont like the game ...Why the hell you where viewing my topic??? To say that game sucks??? You know thats what make me angry...And i dont like it when some people like go into some topic and say to you " Oh yeah i played it ....i didnt like it its quite stupid..." Then you people revive my nerdrage ...So my solution....You dont like it...You dont comment on it...

@ brokenergy

I'm just curious do you use PC or console? DA uses the same D&D formula that BioWare is famous for but the toolset and game mechs aren't the best (more like as one character in the game would state "wading through the swamp") but there are mods to compensate(thank god)

I'm a PC gamer through and through. I have a PSOne and PS2 and some of the games are or were fun but I much prefer PC controls. Never could get coordinated with FPS games using a gamepad and spent too much time dead than playing the game. I use the keyboard even when I play Silent Hill and Resident Evil on the PC and even though I have a little conversion program to allow me to use the PS2 gamepad I'm more comfortable with the keyboard.

As far as Dragon Age goes I never was a fan of the D&D system so I don't really know why I bought the game since it was $110 Australian. It was the hype once again and all the Youtube videos I watched that didn't show the game mechanics although I did read some reviews as well. I much prefer real time fighting and interaction.

Edit:

You interested me into look at this game, even though there are massive issues with it. I'll definitely look more forward to the sequel though and I heard great things about it.

Actually Two Worlds is almost problem free if you install all of the updates. The game is no different in having to be patched than any other really.

@The Extreme TES

One thing I could do with a bit less of in Two Worlds is the silver wolves and the boars, but at least I can outrun them... :laugh:

I remember being chased and ending up at an old castle where a cyclops spotted me and I was stuck in it's area between the wolves and it. Those wolves can climb on rocks, but I eventually found a spot they couldn't reach. Then I spent I don't know how many arrows bringing down this monster ready to take it's loot and died falling off the cliff I was standing on. It wasn't the fall. I fell into a group of wyverns. :sad:

I can't remember what level I am, but it's low (10 or 12) and I can only just take down a group of normal wolves or bandits without too much trouble. This game is one which will last for ages because I always wander off the beaten track finding new stuff instead of completing my quests. That's not a bad thing because I've found a lot of useful gear and better weapons. At the moment I'm in the city of Cathalon getting much needed training. Dual wielding rocks!

Okay, lemme break it down into pieces.

For me thats just another two nails in its coffin Maigrets, Firstly, this isnt the dark ages, requiring a mod to play a female character in a rpg isnt really acceptable anymore,

Yes. Yes it is. The game developers decided to use a male because they felt like using one. We aren't any more entitled to having a playable female in the game than we are to deciding on the name of a game. If the developers decide they don't want to make you a playable female, they have the fullest right not to do so. Shunning a game because of this is just a weak way of looking for reasons to hate it.

about half the gamers I know offline are women,

So do most of us. Your point being what, exactly?

so not only is it politicaly incorrect,

Wait, wut? A game politically incorrect because it doesn't feature playable females. This really made me laugh. Maybe if the main character was heard to be saying something like "Kill the Jews" or "back to the cotton fields with you, black boy", maybe then you would have had a leg to stand on. As it stands, claiming that a game is politically incorrect (which you misspelled, by the way) just because it doesn't feature a playable female is fickle and displays ignorance.

but they are potentialy losing marketshare,

The only time they would lose money because of not having playable females would be if the entire population of gamers were fickle and ignorant.

secondly, what kind of half assed rpg doesnt support mods? even kotor had mods for pities sake!

Uhm, maybe you shouldn't carry your ignorance on your shoulder like that, do a bit of research before making assumptions like these. Two Worlds does suuport mods, the community just isn't striving because the game didn't do as well as they hoped and I've heard the modding tools are difficult to use.

All n all honesty Ive tried to like this game, Ive tried to love it for what it is, rather than hating it for what it isnt, but Im not going to lie, I think its a second rate rpg, in my view, dawn of war 2 is a more polished rpg than this is. Of all the rpgs out there right now, mass effect, the witcher, oblivion, dragon age, fallout ect, you need to stand out to be remembered, and until Extreme revived my nerdrage, I had long ago forgoten about this game, in these days rpgs have very high standards to meet, this doesnt even come close. :dry:

Good for you, this paragraph shows you are progressing towards the point where you will realise that maybe certain games don't appeal to you while they appeal to others. Just because the game didn't appeal to you doesn't mean it's a second rate rpg, it just means that maybe the game wasn't aimed at you. Maybe it has another target audience that you just happen not to fall under?

It's very important to know the difference between a bad game and a game that doesn't appeal to you. A bad game woud be one with unfixable bugs, broken quests, bad levelling systems etc. You get the point (I hope.

A game that doesn't appeal to you might have a bunch of bugs, as Two Worlds did, but can be fixable, as Two Worlds was. From what I gathered from your posts, Two Worlds wasn't the game you expected it to be. This means that the game just didn't appeal to you, not necessarily that it was a bad game. Quite a number of people, including me, liked the game. We don't get angry at you for not liking the game, we get angry because you misunderstand the concept that games you don't like does not equal bad games.

On another note, Two Worlds wasn't as much an RPG as it was a Hack 'n Slash with RPG elements. I loved it through and through and found it to be more fun than the Gothic series.

Okay, lemme break it down into pieces.

For me thats just another two nails in its coffin Maigrets, Firstly, this isnt the dark ages, requiring a mod to play a female character in a rpg isnt really acceptable anymore,

Yes. Yes it is. The game developers decided to use a male because they felt like using one. We aren't any more entitled to having a playable female in the game than we are to deciding on the name of a game. If the developers decide they don't want to make you a playable female, they have the fullest right not to do so. Shunning a game because of this is just a weak way of looking for reasons to hate it.

about half the gamers I know offline are women,

So do most of us. Your point being what, exactly?

so not only is it politicaly incorrect,

Wait, wut? A game politically incorrect because it doesn't feature playable females. This really made me laugh. Maybe if the main character was heard to be saying something like "Kill the Jews" or "back to the cotton fields with you, black boy", maybe then you would have had a leg to stand on. As it stands, claiming that a game is politically incorrect (which you misspelled, by the way) just because it doesn't feature a playable female is fickle and displays ignorance.

but they are potentialy losing marketshare,

The only time they would lose money because of not having playable females would be if the entire population of gamers were fickle and ignorant.

secondly, what kind of half assed rpg doesnt support mods? even kotor had mods for pities sake!

Uhm, maybe you shouldn't carry your ignorance on your shoulder like that, do a bit of research before making assumptions like these. Two Worlds does suuport mods, the community just isn't striving because the game didn't do as well as they hoped and I've heard the modding tools are difficult to use.

All n all honesty Ive tried to like this game, Ive tried to love it for what it is, rather than hating it for what it isnt, but Im not going to lie, I think its a second rate rpg, in my view, dawn of war 2 is a more polished rpg than this is. Of all the rpgs out there right now, mass effect, the witcher, oblivion, dragon age, fallout ect, you need to stand out to be remembered, and until Extreme revived my nerdrage, I had long ago forgoten about this game, in these days rpgs have very high standards to meet, this doesnt even come close. :dry:

Good for you, this paragraph shows you are progressing towards the point where you will realise that maybe certain games don't appeal to you while they appeal to others. Just because the game didn't appeal to you doesn't mean it's a second rate rpg, it just means that maybe the game wasn't aimed at you. Maybe it has another target audience that you just happen not to fall under?

It's very important to know the difference between a bad game and a game that doesn't appeal to you. A bad game woud be one with unfixable bugs, broken quests, bad levelling systems etc. You get the point (I hope.

A game that doesn't appeal to you might have a bunch of bugs, as Two Worlds did, but can be fixable, as Two Worlds was. From what I gathered from your posts, Two Worlds wasn't the game you expected it to be. This means that the game just didn't appeal to you, not necessarily that it was a bad game. Quite a number of people, including me, liked the game. We don't get angry at you for not liking the game, we get angry because you misunderstand the concept that games you don't like does not equal bad games.

On another note, Two Worlds wasn't as much an RPG as it was a Hack 'n Slash with RPG elements. I loved it through and through and found it to be more fun than the Gothic series.

haloror, know this: clearly played this on PC, I didnt, i played this on XBOX 360 because at the time my pc was in around 50 parts on the floor of my garage, with a cooked CPU, and I'll tell you now, and flame me or not for saying this, it was absolute tripe, the framrate on xbox 360 was laughable, OXBM magazine summed it up perfectly: "this isnt a screenshot, its a full 2 seconds of in game footage!" and that was my experience of it, it barely ran, had little HD support and for whatever reason the developers didnt se4em to have bothered adding proper animatiob, with characters merely swivelling in place to talk to one another, furhtermore, it was also crashy and unreliable, barely ran, and no amount of udpates fixed this, while your flame did clearly state a lot of barely contained hatred for me for my perceived heresy of not liking your game, Ive given you even more reasons why I didnt, maybe this time, instead of reading it and thinking up an abusive reply, read the above and accept my opion differs from yours. no matter how much you flame, that isnt going to change, rather, you'll simply reinforce my dislike of it. :dry:

Extreme revived my nerdrage

"The Extreme TES has a right to an opinion without being put down about it and I notice he or she hasn't been back to comment. You don't have to like my opinions either, but there it is. I'm not forcing them on anyone."

Ok i havent been posting 2 or 3 days...But that doesnt mean i dont see what people are writing :confused: ....First of all....As the Maigrets said i have my opinion and if you dont like the game ...Why the hell you where viewing my topic??? To say that game sucks??? You know thats what make me angry...And i dont like it when some people like go into some topic and say to you " Oh yeah i played it ....i didnt like it its quite stupid..." Then you people revive my nerdrage ...So my solution....You dont like it...You dont comment on it...

Im not viewing this to make you angry, Im viewing this to see if they managed to rectify what I disliked about the first game, so far Maigrets put up a good try but this is just turning into a fanrage, aside from halororor's immature flame, Ive given you the reasons I didnt like it, I'd like to know the reaosn you LIKED it, so maybe I can change my opions via greater knowledge, and maybe not view my memories of this game with quite so much bitterness, I didnt come here to revive your nerdrage, i came here to discuss the game, if thats not the point of your initial post, what is?

Alright, let me systematically break it down. Again.

haloror, know this: clearly played this on PC, I didnt, i played this on XBOX 360 because at the time my pc was in around 50 parts on the floor of my garage, with a cooked CPU, and I'll tell you now, and flame me or not for saying this, it was absolute tripe, the framrate on xbox 360 was laughable, OXBM magazine summed it up perfectly: "this isnt a screenshot, its a full 2 seconds of in game footage!" and that was my experience of it, it barely ran, had little HD support and for whatever reason the developers didnt se4em to have bothered adding proper animatiob, with characters merely swivelling in place to talk to one another, furhtermore, it was also crashy and unreliable, barely ran, and no amount of udpates fixed this,

In this regard you are perfectly justified in saying that the XBOX version of this game was crap, because quite frankly, anything as unplayable as that is crap. However, you stated that the game was a 2nd rate RPG. It lets one wonder if you could barely play it how you knew this? It is however, unfair to label a game as crap just because it's console counterpart is crap. You wouldn't say all Toyotas are crap just because the one you got barely works, would you.

while your flame did clearly state a lot of barely contained hatred for me for my perceived heresy of not liking your game,

This part actually made me laugh again. I use rational arguments to counter your arguments, which then means that I hate you because you don't like my game. You didn't even read through my post correctly, did you? And no lying. If you really think I will take the time to hate some random stranger on the internet just because he/she doesn't like a game I like, you've got another think coming.

Ive given you even more reasons why I didnt, maybe this time, instead of reading it and thinking up an abusive reply,

I'm sorry that you thought my reply was a bit abusive, next time I'll be sure to candycoat it. You really missed the entire point of my reply, didn't you?

read the above and accept my opion differs from yours. no matter how much you flame, that isnt going to change, rather, you'll simply reinforce my dislike of it. :dry:

I do accept that your opinion differs, I merely pointed out the flaws in your opinion. If you do not wish to read my replies, which I placed a lot of thought into, something you clearly neglected to do, then just scroll past them. I do not come here to hurl 'abuse' and 'flame' in threads, I come here to have intelligent, to-the-point arguments. I'm not going to lie to you when I think you're being ignorant on a subject, as I am ignorant on many varying things myself, but I try to dispel my ignorace as much as possible when confronted with an argument such as this. One of my favorite quotes which a member of another forum once said is: "If you don't like me calling you ignorant, then stop being ignorant." Calling 'politics' into the subject of a videogame over the fact that there isn't a playable female in is a bit ignorant, don't you think (if not now, maybe in a few years' time).

Nobody is out on a mission to abuse and break you down. We're all here to speak about gaming and when the need arises, have arguments that don't spiral out of hand. Read through my post again, I'm not the boogeyman, you're turning me into him. You're not a victim, you're turning yourself into one.

Im not viewing this to make you angry, Im viewing this to see if they managed to rectify what I disliked about the first game, so far Maigrets put up a good try but this is just turning into a fanrage, aside from halororor's immature flame, Ive given you the reasons I didnt like it, I'd like to know the reaosn you LIKED it, so maybe I can change my opions via greater knowledge, and maybe not view my memories of this game with quite so much bitterness, I didnt come here to revive your nerdrage, i came here to discuss the game, if thats not the point of your initial post, what is?

This made me laugh. I put up a good try to describe why I liked a particular game. I don't think I should have to put up a good try. I like it, but that doesn't mean you have to. I think it's you who is turning this into fanrage and you're getting emotional over a game for goodness sake.

There have been a number of games released for consoles that just didn't cut it compared to the PC versions. Perhaps Two Worlds was one of those because your experience of it certainly turned you off it.

it was absolute tripe, the framrate on xbox 360 was laughable, OXBM magazine summed it up perfectly: "this isnt a screenshot, its a full 2 seconds of in game footage!" and that was my experience of it, it barely ran, had little HD support and for whatever reason the developers didnt se4em to have bothered adding proper animatiob, with characters merely swivelling in place to talk to one another, furhtermore, it was also crashy and unreliable, barely ran, and no amount of udpates fixed this

When the game was released I had a low level computer that ran it fairly well, and I've since upgraded and it runs perfectly. However, there was certainly no problem with NPC animations, especially not characters swiveling in place to talk with one another. The PC version as I said elsewhere is practically bug free after patching. I've had a few crashes over many, many hours of play and a few of those were caused by Windows wanting to update which causes freezes. That's my fault for not turning off background programs. I was also running buggy drivers which affected all my games and since upgrading them I have no problems.

As I also said this game is better in many ways than Oblivion because it has numerous things that Oblivion should have had and didn't without mods. If anything I would have left Oblivion after the first play through if it wasn't for the community fixing all the problems. I've always thought the developers gave us an almost blank canvas as a game and the Construction Set to fill in the gaps.

Two Worlds already has horse combat, the NPC's are interesting, the Guilds have a meaning and depth and the world is alive with animals, monsters, encampments and towns. It's not empty and practically uninhabited. You need real fighting skills and simply clicking won't cut it. Not everything wants to kill you as soon as they detect you from way off in the distance, but if you get too close and in their personal space they will attack as I would expect.

There is a proper reputation system. People will recognize you by your actions and which factions you belong to and act accordingly. Everything you do has consequences. If you join the assassins or necromancers for example, you won't be welcomed by the normal citizens and they will either show fear or attack you. Merchants won't sell to you if you offend them.

This is what an RPG should be. Between Two Worlds, the Gothic series (G2 with Night of the Raven especially) and Risen there's no comparison to Oblivion or Fallout 3 or any similar game as far as depth and attention to detail. I'm looking forward to Gothic 4 but I doubt I'll be able to buy it here. Risen was banned for drug use and prostitution (implied) and I had to get it from eBay so I daresay G4 will be the same.

I'll definitely be getting Two Worlds 2. Perhaps they will have both genders available to play. I don't really care since it's game play I'm interested in and not whether I'm playing as a male or female. Like I said that argument gets old really quickly and has no merit.

I got this game while they were still using paying customers as beta testers, after several patches that all required a restart I was sick to death of the thing. The number of bugs in the game was ridiculous, one even managed to finish the game for you within 10 mins of starting a new game, you'd be walking along and the end credits would start because NPCs had killed to main villain. I still have the game so I might give it another try if they've actually fixed all the bugs, the hilarious dialogue alone might make it worth revisiting. The lack of a female option didn't surprise me at all, it's a German RPG and they are nearly all jockfests with women only there to cook and clean in the background.