Modders and "it's for private use only"

Moire

Am I the only one that thinks this discussion is leading nowhere ?

I mean , there is actual point to it , just us ,taking sides , what we say here will not make any modder change his mind and publish his private mods , and will not stop it to share images , if not on Nexus then on other sites.

You don't like that someone is not sharing his work ,work in which he invested maybe lots of his free time and places screenshots here and there... what's your problem , may I ask ? Is it that important if you can't get that mod ? Don't play it ? Will it change your life , make you be nicer with others ? If it does , then my sincerest apologies for questioning you.

Yes , I used another color , and yes I am aware of my sarcasm in the last phrase , no offense.

*Shrugs* Because its good to have a healthy debate? I really don't know to be honest. But your exactly right the whole argument is really a mute point.

@Ziitch: You do make a good point about the popularity thing, but realistically popularity is kinda overrated unless your lucky enough to be so popular you end up getting hired by the company whose game you modded for (or better yet, a competitor) like some of the modders have been (at least modders of other games...don't really know about Oblivion)

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ziitch, that counts as "their own creation", or "their own rip", if such is the case, the one having a private mod generally doesn't care a bit about someone making a lookalike (and it can be proven that it's a different work) and the second author faces all the rant and copyright difficulties on his own. So? Want to try this way? If you please. The point of the topic then?

ElizabethLestrad, since when people being upset about not having posessions of someone else and making demands of those people is a healthy debate? Nevermind, of course, not meant an offense.

Am I the only one that thinks this discussion is leading nowhere ?

I mean , there is actual point to it , just us ,taking sides , what we say here will not make any modder change his mind and publish his private mods , and will not stop it to share images , if not on Nexus then on other sites.

You don't like that someone is not sharing his work ,work in which he invested maybe lots of his free time and places screenshots here and there... what's your problem , may I ask ? Is it that important if you can't get that mod ? Don't play it ? Will it change your life , make you be nicer with others ? If it does , then my sincerest apologies for questioning you.

Yes , I used another color , and yes I am aware of my sarcasm in the last phrase , no offense.

*Shrugs* Because its good to have a healthy debate? I really don't know to be honest. But your exactly right the whole argument is really a mute point.

There is a Debate section on these forums .

and generally debates can get pretty offensive, not necessarily against those who are debating , and that is not healty :smile:

But again , it's in our human nature to make our point of views stick :laugh:

Well, Oscuro became part of the Obsidian team for Fallout: New Vegas. That wasn't for modelling though; it was for his ability to take an existing game and make it way more balanced from the original attempt.

However, that is the biggest caveat of the mesh modder - If your work is sublime, even if it is mostly a throw-together of already-existing meshes, questions will be asked, requests will be made, and exclusive/private mods will have to be well-hidden and very rare if you want to avoid said questions and requests of its release - And you'll have to deal with it even more for every armor or clothing mod you release.

Hmm. I meant no insult or cheapening of a modder's talent. Modding does indeed take a bit of talent. But it also takes patience and practice.... the same as any other artistry media.

And I also agree that a modder should not get upset if someone asks for the mod, but at the same token, the askee should not get upset if the modder says its private. I see no hostility in that answer. If it is taken that way, then the askee is simply ranting, like a toddler who isn't allowed to have the candy that was just asked for.

And segragation of pictures is ridiculous and borders on the line with a violation of freedom of speech. My example stands.

ElizabethLestrad, it could be, if there could be real argument for OP's point of view. But it's just not reality - everyone having every thing they could see. And thankfully it's not reality that someone can be told by others what to do with his posessions (with few known exceptions, of course).

Just for record - I'm in OP's position too, there are quite a few of mods I really hoped to get and never did. I won't give examples to fuel the fire, but that's just a clarification that people who spoke against this can actually understand the other side.

Hmm. I meant no insult or cheapening of a modder's talent. Modding does indeed take a bit of talent. But it also takes patience and practice.... the same as any other artistry media.

And I also agree that a modder should not get upset if someone asks for the mod, but at the same token, the askee should not get upset if the modder says its private. I see no hostility in that answer. If it is taken that way, then the askee is simply ranting, like a toddler who isn't allowed to have the candy that was just asked for.

And segragation of pictures is ridiculous and borders on the line with a violation of freedom of speech. My example stands.

Thank you, couldnt have said it better myself. And yeah, and I thought about that after the fact, I kinda rushed my example solution, but it is a pretty tricky puzzle to come up with a way to handle private mods that make both sides happy in one form or another. But then again, private forums requiring post count or other similar methods is nothing new and would not fall under a violation of first ammendment rights (at least not based on current court precidence). Thats what I was trying to get at. I was in no way espousing that private modders should not be able to post anything related to private mods period. But thats really the only other plausible option I can think of for "solving" this debacle.

Addendum:

Or come to think of it, there could be some method implimented to flag new post where it puts a bar below the screenshot and caption thats clearly visible (sort of like the surgeon general warnings on cigarette boxes) that says "Contents of this mod unavalable for public use. Meant for reference use only." that shouldnt be so hard to do and its certainly a lot easier a prospect than trying to sort through all the mods already on the various Nexus pages?

Like so infact: http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r123/elizlestrad/Solution.jpg