TES construction set in Windows7

PShepa

I feel I have exhausted every resource that I can find about this issue. I have install Oblivion in a game folder outside of the program files, and I can play the game. No problem there. I've installed Obse, OBSE Launcher and TES Construction Set. I have installed all the latest drivers for my laptop. The system is windows7 64-bit on Intel Core Duo CPU T9500 2.6ghz. 4 gigs of memory and NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT. I can get the construction set to come up, but when I go to save a mod I get "Invalid Directory". I've tried changing the permission for the construction set: no differences. I do not want to shut down the security feature on the laptop. Has anyone come across this issue before or have any thoughts about how I can resolve it? Thanks in advance for your time.

I feel I have exhausted every resource that I can find about this issue. I have install Oblivion in a game folder outside of the program files, and I can play the game. No problem there. I've installed Obse, OBSE Launcher and TES Construction Set. I have installed all the latest drivers for my laptop. The system is windows7 64-bit on Intel Core Duo CPU T9500 2.6ghz. 4 gigs of memory and NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT. I can get the construction set to come up, but when I go to save a mod I get "Invalid Directory". I've tried changing the permission for the construction set: no differences. I do not want to shut down the security feature on the laptop. Has anyone come across this issue before or have any thoughts about how I can resolve it? Thanks in advance for your time.

The fact that you've installed all the latest drivers could actually be part of the problem. When I started running Windows 7 64-bit I had a world of problems trying to run games that I used to run on XP with no problems. Fortunately someone on another gaming forum suggested that I try installing an older version of my video card driver, and that solved the problem.

While I didn't have any problems with the construction set, I might suggest uninstalling the CS, making sure you delete its config file from your My Games folder, running a registry cleaner, and then re-installing the CS to its proper file location, which I believe needs to be the same folder as the Oblivion .exe file.

Hope this has been helpful, but please keep in mind that I'm no expert.

Make sure that you are launching the construction set with "Run as administrator". Right click on the exe file and select that option to launch.

• 7 months later...

no im stuck to if you find inythange could you tell me

this sucks my new laptop is awesome but it cinda sucks caus of this

• 2 months later...

I had this exact problem and just figured it out. I actually ran across this post while troubleshooting and thought I would reply with how I fixed the issue.

My exact problem was just like yours, every time I tried to save an .esp (without any mods installed other than DLC) I got the invalid directory message. However, in the error message it should also tell you what path it is trying to save to. In my error I noticed it was attempting to save to a "data/oblivion/data" folder instead of "Program Data/Oblivion/Data" where my game was actually installed. I'm willing to bet you have it installed to the same folder - if not, maybe this will help someone else.

I've narrowed down 3 possibilities as to why this happens:

1. You installed Oblivion to your Program Data directory rather than your Program Files directory. This is usually a really good work around for UAC and doesn't require you to add extra clutter to your C: drive. For some reason TESCS is confusing "program data" for "data".

2. You installed Oblivion to a custom directory within a single folder. What I mean by this is, by default the data folder is installed to "C:/program files (x86)/Bethseda Softworks/Oblivion/data". In my custom install I bypassed the bethseda folder and had it running straight to a "Program Data/Oblivion/data". TESCS might not be expecting the data folder to come up so soon.

3. This is a problem in the ini files for Oblivion or the Construction set.

The solution:

I created a new folder on C: called "Folder Zero" and reinstalled Oblivion to "C:/Folder Zero/TES4/Oblivion". I also deleted all of the TESCS and Oblivion ini files out of my documents folder before reinstalling (I kept the save files). After reinstalling all DLC and managing my video and control settings I reran the construction set and saved a test esp successfully with no errors.

Hopefully this stops someone out there from banging their head against their desk :)

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Having another issue with TES Construction set, I run Windows 7 and it has no problems what so ever running the game. Everything is in the clear with what is required and yet when I load the construction set, and scroll over the top toolbar. (File, Edit, etc) It just stops responding and closes the program after a short message with no error codes... "TES Construction Set has stopped working, Windows is checking for solutions to the problem." I've reinstalled, ran in admin, ran in compatibility, turned off UAC, Reinstalled Oblivion and Construction set out of program files and still nothing...

I'm at my wits end about how to fix the problem, so if anyone knows what's going on I would be very grateful for a response.

Thanks.