Lore-friendly body and face replacers?

volnaiskra

I'm finding it surprisingly hard to find a mod to improve the NPC bodies in a lore-friendly way. All the mods I've seen make everyone look like bodybuilders or supermodels, which I would find very immersion-breaking. IMO, Skyrim shouldn't look like everyone's just come out of a 3-hour beauty salon appointment.

I'm just after some HD meshes/textures that improve upon the vanilla NPCs, but keep the people looking believable (including some attractive people, some plainer people, old wrinkly people, a bit of dirt here and there, etc.). I don't particularly care if the bodies are nude or not - though I guess underwear would probably be preferable.

Any suggestions?

You can use BodySlide (along with CBBE) to create any female body shape you want. Install a texture replacer on top if you want hair/dirt/scars/whatever (or customise with TexBlend), and you're all set.

Male characters in general are not very well supported. You can check out the old body mods list I compiled ages ago in this thread.

Try Everybody's Different, it's a mod that randomizes the character hair, skin and body mods to add some variety to the game. That way you can use a variety of body mods to create a more realistic look to your game. As for men, there's really only a handful of bodies to choose from, Robert's Alpha (hard to find) Better Males (which includes two choices of body type) SoS (my current fave until SME comes out at least) and Thepals long forgotten bodies.

I should probably have mentioned that I want to use Immersive Armours. Are any compatible with that?

Even though I've been modding for years, I find the body modding thing confusing for some reason. It seems to be a many-step process: First, get mod with mysterious acronym (UNP, CBBE, ADEC, SoS, SME), then get other mod for men, then get clothing replacer, then get texture package, then get armour that's suited to that body type.

To make things more confusing, none of the bodymod pages I've seen show any old people or children, so I don't know whether these will appropriately replace those too. Will the vanilla old people remain untouched? Or will they suddently become young barbie dolls with old person's voices?

Could someone be kind enough to explain the process to me as if you were talking to a total dummy, which you probably are? Thanks

From what I understand armor and body mod compatibility is just a cosmetic issue. if you have armor that isn't designed for the body mod, your character will be shaped differently when naked than when armored.

Body mods generally have adapted vanilla armolrs, and some popular armor mods have body mod addaptions (no idea about immersive armors). Body mods with vanilla armor adaptions would still affect most npcs, though your character wouldn't look different except when naked.

I'm not totally sure about all this, I only use the 2011 nude males and females, to get rid of that ridiculous underwear.

From what I understand armor and body mod compatibility is just a cosmetic issue. if you have armor that isn't designed for the body mod, your character will be shaped differently when naked than when armored.

In certain cases there may be neck gap issues if you pick an armor that was designed for a certain body mod.

In certain cases there may be neck gap issues if you pick an armor that was designed for a certain body mod.

So if an armour leaves bits of skins exposed, where does that skin come from? The bodymod (eg. UNP)? Or does the armour include its own custom-meshed skin areas?