Grand Theft Auto 4 Installation

ub3rman123

Sorry about this.. I just have to let off some extreme frustration. I just bought Grand Theft Auto 4 from the store after playing San Andreas, and thought it might be fun.

Then I was faced with their insurmountable wall of DRM. I had to sign up for their Social Club, Windows Live, install 4 different programs, enter in 5 serial numbers scattered across the bits of packaging, verify online that I am a U.S. citizen, and also verify that I bought the game after it was released.

Then, after all that, I had to install a Windows Live update, without which it would not let me play. And last, upon starting up the game, it gave me a message.

"There is no official Grand Theft Auto 4 CD in the CD drive. Please insert an Official Grand Theft Auto 4 CD.". Yes, I had the CD in there. I had just installed the game. Yes, this was a legal CD purchased from Wal-mart. Several thousand angry thoughts flickered through my mind..

So, what I want to know is, what do I do? Should I mail the game and a scathing letter to the producer? Set it on fire and utilize voodoo dolls? Resolve never to buy a game from them again?

Also, what else I want to know is, Is this DRM style the exception or the rule? If it's the rule, I am so thankful for Bethesda. I have yet to have to enter a single serial code or verify the release date for any of their game, or sign up for Windows Live. No, that monster came in with Dawn of War 2.

option 2: write a scathing letter.

Like a brit comedian said once: " they send me some of their S***t, i send them some of mine!!"

Yeah seriously tho, gta sa was very nice but the messed up gta IV, and the godamn protection too was annoying!

Another option: crack it. I'm not gonna post a link (its easy enough to find one), of course, but it's probably the simplest way to actually be able to play the game. I cracked my copy, and while I do have to start Rockstar Social club (though I can just click skip log in, so no need for an account), thats pretty much it. I'm not sure if multiplayer works, mind - I haven't tried.

I think they recently released a new patch which removes some of the DRM, but I'm not sure exactly which bits - might be worth checking out.

I don't really want to use multiplayer, but man, I don't want to have wasted 50 bucks on a coaster. I'll try it and see if I can rip out the Social Club thing too, because I really don't like invasive software that insists on starting up when the system is booted.

Edit: Nope, this game does not work at all. I finally managed to get the thing to work (Without a CD crack), and I got to watch the opening cutscene. Every fifth model loaded. It's not fun only seeing a crate and some characters floating in midair. The second time I tried to get it to run it froze up halfway through the cutscene and necessitated my use of ctrl-alt-del.. The third time it didn't start up at all. Suffice to say, I wouldn't advise anyone ever buy anything from Rockstar for the PC. This is messed up.

I don't really want to use multiplayer, but man, I don't want to have wasted 50 bucks on a coaster. I'll try it and see if I can rip out the Social Club thing too, because I really don't like invasive software that insists on starting up when the system is booted.

Edit: Nope, this game does not work at all. I finally managed to get the thing to work (Without a CD crack), and I got to watch the opening cutscene. Every fifth model loaded. It's not fun only seeing a crate and some characters floating in midair. The second time I tried to get it to run it froze up halfway through the cutscene and necessitated my use of ctrl-alt-del.. The third time it didn't start up at all. Suffice to say, I wouldn't advise anyone ever buy anything from Rockstar for the PC. This is messed up.

Works fine on my pc, maybe something went wrong with your installation? Did you put the first cd in again?

Might be a problem with the CD. There were a few spots on it it may have been scratched. But from what I've read, I don't really think I want to play this game.

Might be a problem with the CD. There were a few spots on it it may have been scratched. But from what I've read, I don't really think I want to play this game.

It's fun... although ridiculously unoptimized and the DRM is ridiculous.

I can't even play it on full settings at a smooth framerate on my GTX 480. >.>

The good news is that the thick layers of DRM are an exception. Few developers combine Games for Windows Live with another log-in (*cough* Dawn of War 2 *cough*), although said second log-in (Rockstar Social Club) was removed as a requirement in the last patch. Be glad you didn't get it from Steam, or you'd have to log in 3 times!

It also doesn't help by the fact that GfWL is notorious for not working, and the PC port for GTA IV is probably the worst game in recent times in terms of optimisation.

The good news is that the thick layers of DRM are an exception. Few developers combine Games for Windows Live with another log-in (*cough* Dawn of War 2 *cough*), although said second log-in (Rockstar Social Club) was removed as a requirement in the last patch. Be glad you didn't get it from Steam, or you'd have to log in 3 times!

It also doesn't help by the fact that GfWL is notorious for not working, and the PC port for GTA IV is probably the worst game in recent times in terms of optimisation.

AVP2010? :p