What do I need to maximize my Skyrim experience? (specs)

NickYez

I have another more technical question

I'm looking into the Asus GTX570 DCII, and I'm a bit confused about PCI slots

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121432

This is my motherboard

http://ark.intel.com/products/75016/Intel-DH82H81-PCH

This is my case

http://www.sharkoon.com/?q=en/content/ms140

I'm not certain if the GPU can fit on my motherboard, it uses 3 slots and it also says something about using x16, while the motherboard specs only say x1, x2, x4.

So I'm a bit clueless as I'm really new to all this

Edited by NickYez

that motherboard won't take that GPU, time to upgrade your motherboard or find a GPU it can accomodate

besides that, a 1 gig GPU isn't really going to help you play skyrim unless you set EVERYTHING on low settings, believe me, i tried, i used to have a asus 5450 1gig, sure the game would play, but it looked like something from the 90's

You might want to take a look at this and research some of the GPU's listed there, might help you a LOT ----> http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/video-card/#qq=1&r=2048

If you click on a specific video card, on the next page you can click on a link that says " view compatible motherboards" :)

Edited by gromulos

that motherboard won't take that GPU, time to upgrade your motherboard or find a GPU it can accomodate

besides that, a 1 gig GPU isn't really going to help you play skyrim unless you set EVERYTHING on low settings, believe me, i tried, i used to have a asus 5450 1gig, sure the game would play, but it looked like something from the 90's

Too bad, upgrading my motherboard is a step too far so I'll look for another one. A 1G gpu not cutting it I doubt though, I've seen plenty of benchmarks and videos of people playing with a 1gb GPU playing on Ultra

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-7770-7750-benchmark,3135-8.html

Edited by NickYez

I looked at your link, LOL

Sorry, but 25FPS is crap, i have a 2gig GPU now and I only get 33 FPS outside and that's still with a LOT of INI edits. One thing you have to remember with FPS, if your FPS falls below 20 and a script fires at that point, it will misfire and break your game

If you look at the link I gave you for pcpartpicker, you can easily get a GPU for as little as $50.00 :smile: WITH 2 gigs

as a matter of fact my GPU, an Asus 6450 2gig is on that list for only $40.00 :smile:

Let me ask you this, what is the max you want / can spend on a GPU?

Edited by gromulos

I looked at your link, LOL

Sorry, but 25FPS is crap, i have a 2gig GPU now and I only get 33 FPS outside and that's still with a LOT of INI edits. One thing you have to remember with FPS, if your FPS falls below 20 and a script fires at that point, it will misfire and break your game

If you look at the link I gave you for pcpartpicker, you can easily get a GPU for as little as $50.00 :smile: WITH 2 gigs

as a matter of fact my GPU, an Asus 6450 2gig is on that list for only $40.00 :smile:

Let me ask you this, what is the max you want / can spend on a GPU?

Where do you get the 25fps from? At 1920x1080 alot of these cards do pretty well and over 30 fps.

What I'm more worried about now is that my motherboard only supports x1, x2 and x4 PCIe, and I have a feeling this might not be enough for a good card. I'd rather not change my motherboard since I already have an added cost for the PSU.

it plainly says 25FPS right below the name of the game and to the left of the display setting

Give me a $$$ amount that i can work with and I will research several cards for you :)

Edited by gromulos

it plainly says 25FPS right below the name of the game and to the left of the display setting

Give me a $$$ amount that i can work with and I will research several cards for you :smile:

It says 25s, which I mean to believe is the time over which they did the metering. The table shows how much FPS was made on average.

ouch, I do apologize, i misread that

anyway, give me a $$$ amount so I can research several cards for you, like what is the max you can spend including shipping?

and remember, that is most likely a Vanilla run time, once you start adding custom textures / meshes, and hi rez stuff, your FPS WILL go down

Edited by gromulos

ouch, I do apologize, i misread that

anyway, give me a $$$ amount so I can research several cards for you, like what is the max you can spend including shipping?

and remember, that is most likely a Vanilla run time, once you start adding custom textures / meshes, and hi rez stuff, your FPS WILL go down

That's no problem.

Thanks for wanting to look for me, but it's not necessary, I've been doing alot of research the last days and have made a small list of cards available in my area (I don't want to do shipping since I have only a few days of holiday left in which I want to install all this) :)

The only thing I have to know now is if it's possible to run a x16 PCIe GPU into a PCIe (2.0) x4 slot, since that's the max my motherboard has. So far it seems like it should be possible at the cost of a little performance, but I might be wrong.