Anyone else here ever struggled with modding and felt like giving up..

SpellAndShield

Yep...same here...took me a month just to get one script i needed for a mod i am making to work :(......the answer was so simple....kept staring me in the face and i just couldn't see it.....I think i will coin the phrase " Modders block ".

Don't set the own claim tag too high in the beginning, folks. Only time will show you if you're talented or not to produce interesting new stuff of great value for all or just workable little things for yourselves. And please keep in mind that not all of you are chosen to enter the game specific Hall of Fame, or you'll end up in migraine and frustration, finally leaving the field as such. Those among you that indeed have a certain talent, and I know what I'm talking about, have to face the fact that such a talent doesn't cover everything within the range of modding a single game language (not to mention different languages), and that's why you'll have to specialize yourself in an specific aspect of the whole or you'll fail. Folks with capabilities in mapping and designing just seemingly have it 'easier' than you, for either you can stitch a map, create animation, e.g. in 3dmax, or you can't. And if you can't do it for a specific game, which isn't a shame, you can't do it for another game either.

Hope this helps :thumbsup:

http://www.abload.de/img/anne9hol.gif User ID: 2304

Don't set the own claim tag too high in the beginning, folks. Only time will show you if you're talented or not to produce interesting new stuff of great value for all or just workable little things for yourselves. And please keep in mind that not all of you are chosen to enter the game specific Hall of Fame, or you'll end up in migraine and frustration, finally leaving the field as such. Those among you that indeed have a certain talent, and I know what I'm talking about, have to face the fact that such a talent doesn't cover everything within the range of modding a single game language (not to mention different languages), and that's why you'll have to specialize yourself in an specific aspect of the whole or you'll fail. Folks with capabilities in mapping and designing just seemingly have it 'easier' than you, for either you can stitch a map, create animation, e.g. in 3dmax, or you can't. And if you can't do it for a specific game, which isn't a shame, you can't do it for another game either.

Hope this helps :thumbsup:

http://www.abload.de/img/anne9hol.gif User ID: 2304

I would agree, but I need to try for a while longer...then I will be able to tell.

You could try playing with the Oblivion Construction Kit. It's got much more documentation than DA's, as well as more tutorials than the Library of Congress.

Thanks but I am set on DA. I have tried to get back into Oblivion but DA is where it is at for me now...

• 3 weeks later...

I have spent ten solid months staying up till four in the morning, working away on MK2 with F03edit and the GECK. I now have a deep love/hate relationship with both, and about 4 gigs of file clutter in my fallout 3 folder. Of course, it would be easier if someone helped me...

But yeah, I'm taking a month or two off. It's enough to make you want to go at your computer with a sledgehammer.

Don't give up yet.