Meshes and Texturing

Conversation

meshes/creatures/mistergutsy/mistergutsyPC.dds

meshes/creatures/protectron/protectronPC.nif

meshes/creatures/robobrain/robobrainPC.dds

meshes/creatures/sentrybot/sentryPC.dds

textures/creatures/protectron/protectronPC.dds

Can anyone tell me how to make any of these in geck/nifscope/any other program? Looking to retexture RobCo Certified: http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=712

A link, or a tutorial on anything related would be helpful.

If anyone takes the time to make a video/find a something that would walk me through it entirely I will make a custom/community retexture for them (in relation to RobCo Certified).

My parents have photoshop so that might work! Alright, I'll try it out and post if it works, thank you for the tip.

Edit: paint.net does open them, but oh boy... it's very tough to do anything. Does anyone know how the people that have published retexs' do it?

Hi there, and welcome to the world of graphics.

First you'll need the actual graphic program. As others have said, Photoshop is the pick of choice. Since you've said your parents have it, ask them for permission and help if needed, to install a .dds plugin for photoshop so that you can open the dds files.

Once in there, you'll notice that you have a flat image, and that's all you need to worry about if you're simply retexturing something. Think of retexturing as tracing. The best tip I can provide is to go in-game first, and use console command "tfc" to grab a few reference photos of whatever object/item you're retexturing. This helps so that you know where on the mesh certain areas of the texture will display. For example, a texture of clothing may have specific "wrinkles" below the ribs or in the center of the chest, etc. If you're looking to put something in those places on your texture, you'll need to place them respectively, where they are in the original texture for them to display correctly on the mesh. Most of this will be pretty simple.

Do your texture work, and make sure to not save over the original. Always keep a backup.

If you're having trouble saving out of photoshop as a dds file, try saving it as a jpg or psd and using "DDS Converter 2" to change the jpg or psd file to a dds file.