Special procedure for making clothing meshes?

Anzan

Hello,

I've decided to try playing around with Blender recently, and I'm having fun with it. One question I have though is do i have to do anything special to clothing or weapons to make them work in Oblivion other than importing them with nifscope correctly and making the meshes? Like, I imported a sword to look at it in blender, and I saw it had a cylinder around the blade (I think it was called a 'capsule' or something) and another around the hilt. Do I have to make that to import a weapon? If I'm making clothing or armor, do I have to include the body replacer I'm making it for in the mesh? And how can I be sure the item will be in the correct place on the character when i do import it? I've looked through a lot of tutorials for Oblivion, nifscope and Blender, but I can't find the answers to these questions (or possible links to answers returned 404s). Could anyone here help me or point me in the right direction to get help please?

Thanks.

Hello,

I've decided to try playing around with Blender recently, and I'm having fun with it. One question I have though is do i have to do anything special to clothing or weapons to make them work in Oblivion other than importing them with nifscope correctly and making the meshes? Like, I imported a sword to look at it in blender, and I saw it had a cylinder around the blade (I think it was called a 'capsule' or something) and another around the hilt. Do I have to make that to import a weapon? If I'm making clothing or armor, do I have to include the body replacer I'm making it for in the mesh? And how can I be sure the item will be in the correct place on the character when i do import it? I've looked through a lot of tutorials for Oblivion, nifscope and Blender, but I can't find the answers to these questions (or possible links to answers returned 404s). Could anyone here help me or point me in the right direction to get help please?

Thanks.

Yes. Once the base mesh (you're mesh) is imported into NifScope agen you need to add extra data to the .nif file so the game will know what the object is, how it reacts to physics, where it minght sit on the player model, stuff like that. You can also change variables like material type, and color effects.

If you want to dive right in to this and start making things right away, the easyest way to do that is to copy / paste data from an allready existing, and working mesh of the same type. Right click the branch and under Block use Copy Branch and Paste Branch.

When youre done, under Spells - Sanitize. Use the Adjust Link Arrays, and Reorder Blocks tool.

This is a rough run down, but doing the above should be at least be enough to get you're new meshes in game. NifScope has alot more details but trying to go through it in a forum post would be ridiculous.

To make clothing it may be good to first import this Import ready body. This is also useful when making clothing. Rigging with weight painting. Rigging is needed for the cloth to move with the character.

The capsule around the sword is collision mesh. There is tutorial foe collision mesh in cs wiki. When making swords or shields, before exporting they have to be positioned right in order for them to be positioned right when player equips it. When you import weapon to blender you will notice that the handle is at (0,0,0). When you export a sword it is good to place it on top of another sword and then remove the reference sword.

I have to say that I have done everything in blender and only changed the texture with nifskope. I have never added any extra data with nifskope, except alpha property for texture.

If there's another thing you'll have to do when it comes to meshing, although it doesn't necessarily apply to clothes, it's that you'll have to create Havok bhk and collision meshes for weapons and clutter so that the game can register hits when you swing the weapon, or apply gravity and collision to the item instead of just letting it float in the air.

Ok, I tried tutorials but I've given up trying to figure out how to clean/activate it ingame. I'm just trying to replace the wings in a certain mod with some of my own design so I dont think they need to be collision mapped or whatever, but the texture I have isn't showing up in game. If anyone wants to try to figure this out for me I'll upload the file.

This is the last time I try modding. This is giving me a huge headache.