Edge of the Universe

samroski

I have started a new eve online blog.called Edge of the Galaxy

About 3 months ago I created a new character on my second account, Iksormas. He was trained to be an expendable scout in a covert ops. He scouted for me briefly before I left w-space to work on level 5s. Unfortunately CCP promptly nerfed (high sec) L5s, and left me direction-less in Eve. Thus this blog. which is probably nothing but a waste of everybody's time :)

Edit: It is apparent that I had meant to call this blog Edge of the Universe, but for some inexplicable reason entered Galaxy instead, while selecting the URL :)

I read your blog :)

Good luck on your trip around the edges of the universe, I always wanted to do that with a gang as a sort of mega-roam :D

Just a couple of things struck me when reading about your adventures so far.

I don't think you understand the 0.0 mindset of extreme paranoia. Pretty much all of 0.0 operates a NBSI policy - not blue, shoot it. Trying to negotiate standings in local does nothing - to get standings with alliances you will need to talk to their diplomats, and you are not likely to get them unless you can show there's a benefit in setting your corp blue for their alliance. Don't expect to be able to dock at any player owned station - there are very few that will let neutrals dock.

As a neutral, you are a threat. A cov ops neutral could be scouting out their infrastructure in preparation for an invasion. You could be a scout for an expensive faction battleship trying to move around. You might have a cyno fitted, and there's a hotdrop on standby. You could be scouting for a hostile gang nearby. Or you might be transporting a fortune in blueprints.

While you are in system your mere presence is interfering with the inhabitants' day-to-day activities. So they will want to get rid of you and eliminate the threat. Your presence will be reported in region (sometimes several region) wide intel channels.

I once had a C0VEN gang trying to catch my cov ops on every single gate along a 6 or 7 system long pipe out of a dead end - they were pretty determined, but I made it out in one piece :laugh:

If you want to travel in 0.0 you need to have maps, a little bit of knowledge of the 0.0 political landscape (especially an idea of which areas are currently being fought over), luck and a lot of patience :)

I found it quite amusing that you managed to get through M-O, which is one of the most heavily camped 0.0 entrances :laugh:

One thing you might want to practice for escaping from camps with bubbles is this: When you jump into a camp, take a few seconds to plan your route out. Pick a decoy align point. Align towards it, hit your MWD, activate your cloak immediately, and change your direction of travel. The speed burst from the single MWD cycle should be enough to get you more than 2000m away from the position you uncloaked at,and the change of direction makes it more difficult for them to find you.

Another survival tip - never warp to a planet at 0 when running from a gang, and never sit still, else you might well find someone land on top of you and uncloak you.

Good luck on your travels :)

Thank you for your wishes Theta :)

So does this mean that there is no point in striking up a conversation with the locals?

It appears that I'll be constantly hunted, wherever I go...

'M-O' I presume is the Lonetrek-Tribute jump?

Thanks for the tips. The MWD tip is a potential lifesaver!

Well, you can always try to get a conversation going in local - occasionally you might find someone who is chatty and interested in hearing about your endeavours, but you should be aware that often, when people talk to you in local, they do it to delay you so they have more time to find you or set up a camp for you ^^

And yes, you will be hunted wherever you go, but not getting caught is where most of the fun in flying a cov ops is :laugh:

M-O is indeed the empire entry point into Tribute - http://evemaps.dotlan.net/system/M-OEE8 - and I remember it as being pretty much permacamped by Morsus Mihi - though it doesn't make it into the top 10 most violent systems today - http://evemaps.dotlan.net/stats

The campers at M-O:

http://i49.tinypic.com/116hy11.jpg

Eve is down and thus I have been unable to check their affiliations.

Thank you for your advice. I have now lost that guilt of not initiating communication. I am on the right path and mentally prepared for the hunt :)

I suppose you mean noobs going after a container labelled "take me" or "free shield boosters" :)

There is no need for this 0.0 though

Infact there were a couple of more containers around:

http://i47.tinypic.com/2njdd7d.jpg

Baiting noobs with containers in starting systems is an exploit, you may know. Possibly even in the adjacent systems. When I first got my hands on a stealth bomber I seriously considered doing this :)

I suppose you mean noobs going after a container labelled "take me" or "free shield boosters" :)

There is no need for this 0.0 though

Infact there were a couple of more containers around:

http://i47.tinypic.com/2njdd7d.jpg

Baiting noobs with containers in starting systems is an exploit, you may know. Possibly even in the adjacent systems. When I first got my hands on a stealth bomber I seriously considered doing this :)

LOL, you didn't try it? That would've been funny if you could get away with it.

When I first began the game I had tried taking a container that was right outside the station thinking someone had just abandoned it. The nice little warning that popped up to tell me it was an act of aggression told me otherwise and then I noticed a ship just sitting close by the station, like it was about to dock, but wasn't. Didn't take me long to figure it out.

LOL, you didn't try it?

Something like this could be pretty traumatic for a noob. Would have been fun, but I did not want to be the one to cause all that mental anguish :)

Maybe one could compensate them afterwards with a ship or two, or a few million. They wouldn't mind then, would they?

I remember mining as a noob with 2 other noob friends and a guy can flipped us. We were very annoyed. resolved to get him, if this was the last things we did. And we bore resentment towards him for many months. Another of my noob friends wandered into low sec while mining and was promptly podded. He was devastated. We were furious and made many resolves.

Took me about a year to get into the spirit of immortality :)