Steam noob question

spraggzy

Tryed searching but couldent find the answer I was looking for.

Can some one please explain what this "steam" is that is with New Vegas. I have read a lot of comments from people saying you cant play New Vegas without this "steam".

Like I did with Fallout 3 I will buy New Vegas for my 360 then buy the PC version about 6 months down the line for mods. But I have 100% no idea what this steam is, and all I seem to understand is I wont be able to play it. All I want to do is make little mods with the GECK and then mess around playing it.

Please someone explain this to me thanks.

I think they mean Steam as in Valves Steampowered service. It's basically a site that lets you buy games online and download straight to your PC. 100% legal btw.

I've used it a number of times and I think it's great, but it does have some problems. You can't play some games offline, which means you need a internet connection.

Steam home page

Steam thinks that you only use your computer for games and they should always be installed no matter what. This is a common bit of arrogance with programmers, Of course you will want their wonderful program that you only use once a month always installed on start up. And if you do stop it from loading, Why they will just do you a favor and move it back to autoload the next time you do use it. Not just steam, HP printer software, TomTom GPS, Adobe reader, quicktime and several others That I have found. Because of this attitude I have sworn to never buy another HP product, or another TomTom GPS. I use foxit reader in place of Adobe and kill quicktime when ever it surfaces.

Also, it insists on starting up every time you boot the computer. I'm still trying to turn off that option.

?

Works fine for me. Just uncheck the box and done. I set it once and it hasn't changed since.

Steam's not really all that problematic anymore. It used to be, but not so much anymore.Yes its default settings are annoying. These are easily fixed.

Also, for Fallout New Vegas, an internet connection will not be required to play, only for install.

I use foxit reader in place of Adobe and kill quicktime when ever it surfaces.

Same here.

I don't mind Steam all that much, especially because of the nice deals (Mass Effect for € 3,74 today) but I also don't have it loaded on startup.

Hey bben46 you and i are old school, If someone told us to stick a tootsie roll up our butt, hum the National Anthem while dancing the macarena, just to install a game, we'd tell them to take a flying f@#k !!!! and

spraggzy....To answer your question for the pc version, you have to be online, open or have a steam account every time you want to install this game, Now please excuse me, I have to choke the man at the door with the dancing shoes

I actually like steam. :confused: I've had a Steam account for around six years, and i have never had a problem with it. The best thing about Steam is that I have been able to pick up a lot of games for real cheap over the years. Not having to worry about a CD or paper sleeve with a number on the back is nice also.