For a future lip sync fix. Maybe?

KnuckleBucket

This is possibly significant for an eventual lip sync fix. Sorry if someone has brought this up before.

I was on a mission with a follower (Griffith from Interesting NPCs) and I noticed that when we spoke while sneaking the lip sync bug was completely non-existent. Everything is delayed as normal while standing, but while sneaking there were no issues whatsoever.

I'm no modder so I don't know what would be involved or if it would even be possible, but this got me thinking that if there was a way to have the act of talking to NPCs somehow trigger the game into thinking they were crouching/sneaking when they weren't, maybe it could get around the issue. Like if the the status of sneaking could be applied without the animation somehow...

Sorry if it's a waste of time. Here's to hoping someone with talent can make something of it.

That's very interesting, I usually don't talk while sneaking and never noticed that. I'm gonna test your findings.

Do you have any animation or player skeleton mods (mods that might require FNIS)? Do you use Mod Organizer?

EDIT: Two 30 second tests - Well, there is certainly a difference in my game with Lydia. I also tested Amalee from 3DNPC and she was in-sync while sneaking as well. Oversoon, I'm gonna mention your observation on another forum and see if some modding techies get the same results.

Edited by Lord Garon

May I ask about your mods again? Do you have any animation or player/NPC skeleton replacers? I'm primarily interested in mods which require GenerateFNISforUsers to be run after installation. Those type mods impact the behavior (hkx) files and, obviously, impact animations, like the mouth moving while talking. They may also modify the skeleton(s) being animated. It could impact the observation of lip synchronization.

I guess I should say that most people "in-the-know" (not me; I just forwarded your observation) believe this to be an "engine" bug and fixing it would require changes beyond what a mod is capable of doing. It would take something like an SKSE plugin. The problem is that no one knows what the primary suspect, an official game patch, changed to cause the lip-sync bug. Observations like yours may give some hints on what to look for.

Edited by Lord Garon

I don't use any FNIS animations. I do use some of the animations from Enhanced Animations, some from New Animations for Elegant Archers, and 360 Walk and Run Plus. I would've just put this in the last response but I assumed it wasn't a factor after you reproduced the results using whatever you use.

Yeah, any modder I've heard talk about lip-sync tends to say there is nothing to be done about it, but it seems like there's gotta be something to this. I sure hope so. Immersion is hurt SO much by this bug.

I sent this thread to Apollodown, and he said it needs to be brought to the attention of a modder who has experience with making dlls.

It's your baby, but personally, I think there needs to be some verifications from more players that sneaking/crouching eliminates the bug, especially in a vanilla game. I'm setting up a vanilla install to do that now. IF an animation mod or some race/body/head/parts mod changes important game assets/files, the data we give any dll programmer will mean little, unless a consistent mod load is used. That's just my semi-ignorant opinion, nothing else.

I'll test a vanilla setup ON MY UNIQUE COMPUTER (hell, it could even be caused by a CPU instruction set issue) and let you know what I find.

Edited by Lord Garon

Making an SKSE plugin and actually fixing an engine bug are very different things, making an SKSE plugin is actually very easy, making it modify the engine you need to actually know how to reverse engineer. The problem with broken code is often times if you comment just one one function and recompile under an optimization scheme an entire call-tree may go missing, tons of code will just no longer exist in the executable. It's theoretically possible to rip it out of an old version and put it back in but it's quite a mess. I compared the call graphs between 1.8 and 1.9 regarding facial animations and the resulting tree is significantly different. Fixing it is probably beyond me, and the people I know who would be capable of such feats would not have the time to fix it. Fixing it low level is magnitudes more difficult than fixing it at high level (Which only Bethesda can do since we don't have the sourcecode).