Correct DDS Texture Compression/Format?

SkullKnight

Hi, I recently downloaded Gimp and a dds editing plugin for manipulating FO3 texture files, but it turned out to be a lot more complicated than I thought. When I finished my editing and wanted to save, I was confronted with a huge list of options regarding the dds file's format and compression. I tried using the default settings, but that resulted in a file many times larger than the original. Most of the compression options resulted in a file with the correct size, but the color got all messed up. Finally, I found that BC3/DTX5 (BC3n/DTX5n seems to be the normal map equivalent?) using the default format and no mipmaps gave me a file with correct size and color.

What compression and format should be used for FO3 dds textures? Also, should mipmaps be generated? FO3's normal maps, but not textures, look like they have mipmaps generated (based solely on file size :P).

Sorry, Im a noob with graphics editing lol.

For diffuse(color) maps, DXT1 no alpha is perfectly adequate.

For diffuse maps with the need of alpha transparency maps. DXT5 is more or less ideal

For compressed normal maps that will need to contain a specular map in the alpha channel, DXT5 again. if you are not going to use a specular map, and just use a global specular level via the material on the mesh, DXT1 no alpha

If for any reason you much prefer uncompressed normal maps... I personally use RGB 888 or RGBA 8888 at a half resolution, or if its a small or unimportant texture i will still compress

Why? because normal maps suffer greatly from artifacting. And F3 does not support 3DC or DXT NM formats.

an outdated but still relevant experiment i made.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c85/lego-botz/other/Normalmapping3.jpg

diffuse map is identical. only changed the normal map compression and size.

mipmaps. I have been under the impression that fallout3 needs at least 4 mipmap levels. 6-8 if not all.

if you are anal about compression/mipmaps/normal maps. you may worry about normalization of the mipmaps on a normal map. the photoshop nvidia plugin has a method to save a dds and normalize your mipmaps in the export/saving dialog.

Lol, a lot of that stuff is way over my head, as Im not experienced with texturing. I just want it to not look funky and to not cause lag due to the format I saved it in.

GIMP doesnt give me options for levels of mipmaps to generate, just a checkbox for generating them or not. The size of the original diffuse map indicates to me that it doesnt have mipmaps (its the same size as my no-mipmap edit). Idk how to normalize maps either, other than simply saving it with normal map compression.

EDIT: Nvm found a tutorial on normal mapping in GIMP. It also told me not to save dds files in GIMP, but instead save as something else and convert.

EDIT2: Ehhh...it tells me how to do it...but theres so many options to adjust shininess and stuff. Im not sure what I should set them to. Is it ok to use the existing normal map if my changes are minor? Or should I still attempt at generating one myself?

if at all possible, like you made only superficial changes to a objects texture, ie just changed its color from blue to red or what not. Reuse the vanilla normal map where possible.

Most normal maps in f3 were baked from high poly geometry. Trying to get similar results with bitmap to normal conversion will not yield as good results no matter how good you are.

so yes. use vanilla normal map if it makes any sense to your project.

• 7 months later...

What compression format should I use to save the file while I am working on it? Should I even save as .dds while I am working on the file over multiple sessions?

No...?

If you save to a compressed dds. Then that's the final texture. Or should be.

Anything further, like then reopening it, edit, then save again compressing it again only introduces more compression artifacts. It just like video. Take an uncompressed video compress it with say divx or h264, then open that video up and compress it again with the same settings , with a sharp eye you can probably see some degradation when comparing the one that was compressed once to the one that was compressed twice.

Ideally I leave everything as photoshop psd files. And keep them for all past projects.

Edited by Ghogiel

What Ghogiel said. In fact, when you're working on pretty much anything, regardless of what it is or what program you're using, you should pretty much always save it in the program's normal save format (.psd for photoshop, .blend for blender, stuff like that). The only time you'll be saving it as anything else is when you are done (or at any rate, when you want to test it in-game). Edited by Guest