Ebola Has the next scare began?

kvnchrist

I never said anything about pandering. I said respecting their fear and acknowledging their state of mind. Pandering is what our elected official do and they do it not out of respect but for what they can get from these people. Acknowledging others fear doesn't validate that fear but assure those who have it are important enough to another to matter. What part of being ridiculed or laughed at ever made anyone fee acknowledges as a fellow human? To my knowledge, no one.

Respect the person. Acknowledge that the fear is real. Not what they fear, but that they have fear. Give them the information that they need to make an informed desision on the matter at hand.

This entire episode has been handled abysmally and in the light of present administrations track record of competency, I think much of the paranoia has been ginned up more by the inaction and inattention by the powers that be than any other group.

But you have two very large problems...

1). There is a whole range of bad information out there mixed in with the usual paranoia. This makes settling their fears and educating people significantly more difficult, even if the mass media wasn't actively feeding them panic pills. On the current trend, this whole matter will be blown far beyond control once the usual seasonal illnesses start spreading and people mistake them for Ebola.

2). Even if it wasn't difficult for those in power to set things straight, that would likely go against their current agenda. Given how some of the dialogue has been related to who can be legally quarantined, namely that civilians cannot be held against their will just because they may have had circumstantial exposure with a disease. There will probably be some efforts made to change the legalities of holding civilians due to potential exposure without their consent or cooperation because of those "mistakes". The fear mongering, the bad downplaying, the bipolar response, combined with the time of the year (voting and flu season)... All of it feels like it came from a Bush Era playbook.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never said anything about pandering. I said respecting their fear and acknowledging their state of mind. Pandering is what our elected official do and they do it not out of respect but for what they can get from these people. Acknowledging others fear doesn't validate that fear but assure those who have it are important enough to another to matter. What part of being ridiculed or laughed at ever made anyone fee acknowledges as a fellow human? To my knowledge, no one.

Respect the person. Acknowledge that the fear is real. Not what they fear, but that they have fear. Give them the information that they need to make an informed desision on the matter at hand.

This entire episode has been handled abysmally and in the light of present administrations track record of competency, I think much of the paranoia has been ginned up more by the inaction and inattention by the powers that be than any other group.

But you have two very large problems...

1). There is a whole range of bad information out there mixed in with the usual paranoia. This makes settling their fears and educating people significantly more difficult, even if the mass media wasn't actively feeding them panic pills. On the current trend, this whole matter will be blown far beyond control once the usual seasonal illnesses start spreading and people mistake them for Ebola.

2). Even if it wasn't difficult for those in power to set things straight, that would likely go against their current agenda. Given how some of the dialogue has been related to who can be legally quarantined, namely that civilians cannot be held against their will just because they may have had circumstantial exposure with a disease. There will probably be some efforts made to change the legalities of holding civilians due to potential exposure without their consent or cooperation because of those "mistakes". The fear mongering, the bad downplaying, the bipolar response, combined with the time of the year (voting and flu season)... All of it feels like it came from a Bush Era playbook.

Education has never been an easy task, but respect is just a hand shake away. The major thing is determining who will listen and who will not. There are those who are impervious to learning. They have their truth, ready made and fully installed. There are others who are less so and these are the ones who need to be reached. Some have been tainted with the delusion of being victimized by the powers that be and are looking for any instances they can interpret as being discarded by the rest of the world. I was brought up in one of these cult-like institutions and I know just how strongly their indoctrination is.

I also know what has worked for me, when dealing with those few people still clinging to such things and the best way I know of is to acknowledge them and their concerns and slowly gain their trust, because it is that trust that will open up the doors in their mind that have been shut sense they were first indoctronated into their ideology.

Ebola, gay marriage, it is all the same, when you talk about gaining access to those who are used to a comfort zone that the present issue has sense interupted. I'm not saying that either issue is in any way equal to the other, but they are both new experiences that these people were unprepared for and those who have indoctrinated them will visiously defend those individuals who they claim as their property.

ignorance is an institution in this country and one that is very insular to those who wield the scepter of indoctrination. Just as the victors of any conflict designate it's history, those who are most charismatic most often define what truth is. We must be that charismatic entity and no form of charisma includes snearing at those one wish to influence.

We are trying to stop a stampied of those people who prefer Jerry Springer and America Idol over Bill Nye the science guy and that takes a lot of effort when their attention span has been standardized be media sensationalism and instant gratification. I don't know about you but I see a possible ticking time bomb ready to go off and I really don't want the patients taking over the funny farm.

We have had a history of forgetting what we claim to be our fame, which is freedom when fear runs unchecked. All we have to do is look at the Japanee internment camps of WWII to get a nasty look at ourselves.

I can envision some wackjob shooting a person, who they think should be quarinited and then claiming self defence for them being in his proximity. Can you honestly say for certain that a jury of equally fearful people would not exonerate the shooter because of the prevailing sentiment?

I can envision some wackjob shooting a person, who they think should be quarinited and then claiming self defence for them being in his proximity. Can you honestly say for certain that a jury of equally fearful people would not exonerate the shooter because of the prevailing sentiment?

Turning a part of someone infected with Ebola into a fine bloody mist would be one quick way to infect yourself and pretty much everyone else around. As anyone trying to claim such a thing when shooting an uninfected person would be facing a more serious punishment than would be connected to just a single count of murder. As stupid and gunhappy as Americans tend to be, you'd have to be a special kind of stupid to do something like this, and even then no lawyer would stand by such a claim to defense. So it would only happen once if at all.

Turning a part of someone infected with Ebola into a fine bloody mist would be one quick way to infect yourself and pretty much everyone else around. As anyone trying to claim such a thing when shooting an uninfected person would be facing a more serious punishment than would be connected to just a single count of murder. As stupid and gunhappy as Americans tend to be, you'd have to be a special kind of stupid to do something like this, and even then no lawyer would stand by such a claim to defense. So it would only happen once if at all.

If a person can shoot a sikn, thinking them a Muslim because they both can be associated with wearing turbans, then another can shoot someone during an equally thoughtless encunter. There are people in this country and I'm sure every other country on the world who pride themselves on their ignorance assuming that their opinions have effectively been personally thought up and not given to them by those they grow up around.

Pandering to people is only going to reinforce those fears, we should we be honest with them, they're acting like fools and should be made aware of that fact. Lack of knowledge is no excuse whatsoever, the information is out there and if they're too lazy to look then they deserve all they get. Wrapping people in cotton wool and patronising them isn't going to help them, it's treating them like children. On this side of the pond the press did try to whip hysteria, the general reaction of people was to laugh at it and as a result we don't have people living in fear.

No, if people are going to act irrationally based on ignorance they shouldn't be wrapped in cotton wool and "understood", they themselves are spreading fear to other ignorant people and thus should be stopped, if pointing at them and laughing does that then good.