How can I view the LODs in GECK???

Corehound

Hey every1 :thumbsup:

I'm back again with yet another question :tongue:

I have been trying to find the answer for this on the GECK site without any luck, so I hope someone here can give me a quick answer on it :thumbsup:

I am currently working on a mod placed in the -1, -5 area near Megaton Gate, I have removed some trees on top of the rock formation located there, only to, once in-game, discover that they where equipped with what I assume is a LOD texture :pinch: , so naturally I would like to remove these as well, but I can't seem to figure out how to get them to show up in GECK so I can cut them, can any1 tell me how to do this?

With best regards

Corehound

"Cry havoc and let slip the Corehound of war!"

First off you can't delete the trees from the worldspace or you will get problems with your mod. In fact you should never ever delete vanilla objects when working in the Geck. Instead mark them as initially disabled or move them below ground or otherwise out-of-sight. Then you have to go to World --> World LOD on the Geck toolbar and generate a new LOD and include this LOD file with your mod if you release it. Note that generating LOD, especially in the wasteland can take hours or even days depending on the area you are creating LOD for.

First off you can't delete the trees from the worldspace or you will get problems with your mod. In fact you should never ever delete vanilla objects when working in the Geck. Instead mark them as initially disabled or move them below ground or otherwise out-of-sight. Then you have to go to World --> World LOD on the Geck toolbar and generate a new LOD and include this LOD file with your mod if you release it. Note that generating LOD, especially in the wasteland can take hours or even days depending on the area you are creating LOD for.

Thx for the reply :thumbsup:

Tbh I'm kinda baffled that it's so much trouble to make a change like that, why haven't they just bound the LODs to the Meshes that it's assimilated to :confused: or ad least made it so you can restrict the LOD generating to only generate a user selected / defined area, i.e. only an 8x8 tile section of a cell or something :mellow:

But I guess there's a reason for it :smile:

Btw why will it cause problems if I delete trees from the worldspace?

With best regards

Corehound

Deleting any vanilla objects, whether it be a tree, door, rock or building can cause conflicts with any other mod that relies on that reference. As pkleiss has said the best practice is to mark them as initially disabled and move them below ground, this will insure more stability with other mods.

I've run into major issues while testing my mod with others which turned out to be dirty. It was a huge headache, caused my mod to CTD and, or, it would over wright changes made depending on load order.

Deleting vanilla objects are "Dirty Edits" and, are considered bad modding practices by much of the community.

Edit: at least the portion of the community who are in the know. :tongue:

Deleting any vanilla objects, whether it be a tree, door, rock or building can cause conflicts with any other mod that relies on that reference. As pkleiss has said the best practice is to mark them as initially disabled and move them below ground, this will insure more stability with other mods.

I've run into major issues while testing my mod with others which turned out to be dirty. It was a huge headache, caused my mod to CTD and, or, it would over wright changes made depending on load order.

Deleting vanilla objects are "Dirty Edits" and, are considered bad modding practices by much of the community.

Edit: at least the portion of the community who are in the know. :tongue:

Hehe I can see I still have allot to learn :tongue: , cause it still makes absolutely no sense to me why a change to any none- interactive / essential objects will cause problems to other mods :confused: , especially since if another mod will occupy the same spot on the map you will not be able to use the two mods at the same time anyway, unless you alter them manually to coexist :unsure:

Also the spot I have chosen is generally not accessible unless you do quite a bit of "wall-jumping", so it has no "markers" "navmesh" "paths" or anything similar :thumbsup: so this alone I would imagine would have minimum impact on the vanilla game in itself :smile:

Okay so just to be absolutely sure :blush: , the only way to get rid of a LOD-tree is to use the "GECK - World - World LOD - Generate Trees - and then w8 for a day or two while it load :laugh: "?

Anyway thx again for the help guys, really appreciate all the help :thumbsup:

With best regards

Corehound

Just an FYI about deleting vanilla objects -

Aside from what has already been said, deleting vanilla objects can lead to corruption in the mod database. I have seen plenty of this. Other objects in the game can change. What was once a rock out-cropping is now a bed. Null pointers (blank links in a record), weird behavior like all the loot from killed enemies falls from the sky at one particular spot and CTDs; all of this I have seen when people delete vanilla objects even if they are static. Start deleting vanilla objects and then load your mod in FO3Edit and check for errors. You will see lots of them if you delete enough vanilla objects. Just don't ever do it.

Just an FYI about deleting vanilla objects -

Aside from what has already been said, deleting vanilla objects can lead to corruption in the mod database. I have seen plenty of this. Other objects in the game can change. What was once a rock out-cropping is now a bed. Null pointers (blank links in a record), weird behavior like all the loot from killed enemies falls from the sky at one particular spot and CTDs; all of this I have seen when people delete vanilla objects even if they are static. Start deleting vanilla objects and then load your mod in FO3Edit and check for errors. You will see lots of them if you delete enough vanilla objects. Just don't ever do it.

Damn, that sucks :sad:

So basically I need to create an entire new zone to be able to make cool outdoor stuff :ohmy: , sad that it's been made so fragile :blink: , but I guess there's a reason why they have made it the way that they have :smile:

With best regards

Corehound