What is the measurement for success in life?

ub3rman123

If, on the day I die, I am satisfied with the sort of person I have been and the life that I have lived, that will be success. Until then I just can't see myself passing some arbitrary milestone along the way, shouting out "at last!" and suddenly being at peace with my existence. It can't possibly be that simple- I know several people who have reached and passed the goals they set for themselves in life, and if they're any happier for it I certainly can't tell the difference. Better to just live and let each experience be the measure of its own success, and let the verdict on life as a whole wait until the end of it.

Inform your brother that the measure of success isnt telling some one he's never going to be a success through not having many friends, that seems to be his own insecurities coming to the surface.

As for success, Bben and Dark0ne make good points.

Answer this question.

Am I a success ?

Unsure of the answer ? Ok, ask yourself this question.

Am I a failure ?

While thinking about that one bear this in mind, why on earth would you be a failure, what have you done thas so terrible ?

The big question is:

Are you happy with who you are ?

Nevermind other peoples opinions, only you can answer that one.

My brother and I dont get on, havent for years, he thinks I'm a failure because he's bought a house and raised a family and I haven't, (I've bought 3 houses & sold them that he doesnt know about coz I cant be assed talking to the prat).

He's also mortgaged to the hilt and all he owns is on some sort of finance or another and he struggles like crazy to pay everything, I'm single, retired early, share a house with a friend of many years, have money in the bank and I want for very little, apart from the last cornetto because my greedy guts housemate scoffs them all.

He's happy with his lot and I'm happy with mine, but are either of us a success ?

Depends on your point of view I guess.

For me it is a sense of self-worth and an unwillingness to judge others on any level. We are responsible for ourselves and if we can be happy with what we do and how we live and behave towards our fellow man, I believe we are successful. However, that is my belief, so I try very hard not to impose it on those who do not necessarily live up to what I consider to be my "standards"; or at least not to judge them for it.