ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

Old, old rehash - FOSE in FOMM

Perseverence

I have the steam version of FO3: GotY (my discs just don't work anymore). I promptly downloaded FOMM, FWE, an a couple of other mods. I also downloaded FOSE and manually installed it into C:\Bethesda Softworks\Fallout 3 (even though C:\Bethesda Softworks also seems to have some FO3 files). I've also downloaded the Windows Live patch.

When I run FOSE from C:\Bethesda Softworks\Fallout 3, the game starts, shows the first slide, then crashses. I've been googling for about an hour and can't find a solution to FOSE itself crashing the game (everyone seems to think just copying the files over solves everything). I also have Windows 8 installed.

Any help would be appreciated!

FOSE needs to be installed into the same directory as the Fallout3.exe.

The proper way to install FOSE is to copy the files into the same directory as the Fallout3.exe.

You then launch FOMM and use the "Launch FOSE" button to launch the game.

Then I don't understand your initial post. "(even though C:\Bethesda Softworks also seems to have some FO3 files" Is this the path to your game? If it is, it would have FO3 files, where else would they be?

If you have the game installed in another location, such as C:\Program Files\Steam\etc, that is where FOSE needs to be installed.

If both FOSE and Fallout3.exe are in the same folder, then you did not install FOSE properly.

Edited by M48A5

FOSE needs to be installed into the same directory as the Fallout3.exe.

The proper way to install FOSE is to copy the files into the same directory as the Fallout3.exe.

If both FOSE and Fallout3.exe are in the same folder, then you did not install FOSE properly.

Together, these statements are confusing.

Anyhow, C:\Bethesda Softworks\Fallout 3 is where my Fallout3.exe and FOSE (now) are.

However, \Fallout3 in the above line is a folder, whereas C:\Bethesda Softworks also has some Fallout files, but much less. C:\Bethesda Softworks\Fallout 3 has all the files it looks like, including the Data, Install Info and Mods folders.

To make that make sense, if I navigate to C:\Bethesda Softworks, I have Data and Fallout 3 folders and a bunch of Fallout files, including an executable and the .dll files.

If I navigate to the Fallout 3 folder, I find Data, Install Info and Mods folders as well as a bunch of Fallout files. I don't know why the game is in two different folders. Maybe when I routed FOMM to the Fallout folder I miss clicked and it created another?

Actually, after I post this, I'm going to see what directory Steam installed to then delete (or copy over) the extra files from the other install and map FOMM to that.

Now I'm thoroughly confused. Steam installed Fallout 3 to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Fallout 3 goty. I went back to the FOSE zip file, extracted it to THAT folder and successfully started Fallout 3 with the fose_loader file AND the Launch Game -> Launch FOSE option from FOMM.

I have no idea why I have Fallout 3 installed so many times. Thank you for your help.