Issues with WinRAR and Windows 7

Hey guys, I recently tried downloading Kyoma's Journal Mod for Oblivion, but I am having many issues in regards to WinRAR extracting the files properly. I downloaded the 64-bit version of WinRAR since I have Windows 7, and so far it has been unsuccessful in extracting files.

Taken from http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=15294

Message: Getting issues with extracting this, Pluggy and OBSEv18 into C:Program Files (x86)Bethesda SoftworksOblivionData

Is it because I am using Windows 7?

My WinRAR gives me errors saying things like: ! C:UsersChrisDesktopJournal_Mod_v3x2x1-15294.zip: Cannot create folder meshes

! Access is denied.

! C:UsersChrisDesktopJournal_Mod_v3x2x1-15294.zip: Cannot create folder meshesKyomaJournal

! The system cannot find the path specified.

! C:UsersChrisDesktopJournal_Mod_v3x2x1-15294.zip: Cannot create meshesKyomaJournalatteredblue.nif

Among other things. I need desperate help, I am roleplaying an Assassin and journals are vital to pretty much BEGIN doing it.

Any help will be appreciated. :confused:

Download 7-zip - http://7-zip.org/

If the problem persists, maybe this is a problem with the archive being created on a 32-bit system. That would be annoying..

Edit: typo

Edit: In the future, it might be helpful to post this problem in the Nexus Oblivion Forums' Hardware Forum.

Download 7-zip - http://7-zip.org/

If the problem persists, maybe this is a problem with the archive being created on a 32-bit system. That would be annoying..

Edit: typo

I downloaded the older non-beta version and it still gave me an error, so now I'm trying to download the new 2010 x64 edition, but when I try to install it, it says I need to close Windows Explorer (Process ID: 2660), but Windows Explorer isn't open -- I assume that it is talking about My Computer.

Since I can't close something that isn't open, it won't install. :confused:

You are mistaking Internet Explorer for Windows Explorer. Windows uses a program called Explorer to open/explore all files and file sections in a hard drive.. however if it's crashing on install.. it likely won't matter... crashing Windows Explored is bad.. next thing below a critical error.. so I'd say a problem still exists..try finding out why it crashed.

When you got those 'Access is denied' errors, where were you trying to extract the files to? Normally it should request elevated priveledges automatically if needed, but sometimes it might not. So if you're trying to extract to Program Files or somewhere which needs administrator permission, try running it as an administrator (right click -> run as administrator. You can also go to properties, and under compatibility check "run this program as an administrator" to save having to right click every time).

I am aware of the difference between Internet Explorer and Windows Explorer, just to set the record straight. The Windows Explorer thing seems to have fixed it self and I was able to install 7-Zip successfully....until I tried to extract the Journal Mod with 7-Zip and received 45 errors entailing: can not open output file CProgramFiles etc. to where my Oblivion is located.

Do you think it's because the mod was made on a 32-bit system?

Also, I am the administrator on my computer.

If you have the 64 bit versions of Win7 and Winrar, you MUST have the 64 bit version of Win7.

The 64 bit Win7 and the 64 bit version of 7-zip work fine when unzipping mods made with a 32 bit version.

However, just being the Administrator on Win7 or Vista is not good enough. You must set up the Oblivion folder as 'run with admin privileges' also. - Another example of the Microsoft "Are you really sure you want to do that?" If so you gotta approve it constantly. And it will still give problems with some mods. Or (best option) reinstall Oblivion outside of the UAC protected file area. Most people create a new folder C:\Games\Oblivion and install it there - UAC will not interfere and you can install all the mods you want without being asked to approve each one.

u could just simpily extract to documents or somewhere, where it dont need permission and then when it extracted right click files and copy and go to the directory where oblivion is and location 'data' folder and right click inside it and paste and it will ask for permission and just accept it all and its done

I did what chibievil said because it seemed easier and that fixed all the access is denied crap, but now I am confused by the instructions on the readme of the journal mod:

* Copy the esp file, the textures, meshes and menus folders to your data folder. This mod requires:

- OBSE v0016. You can find the latest version at http://obse.silverlock.org/.

- OBSE plugin Pluggy version 122. You can find the latest version at http://cs.elderscrolls.com/constwiki/index.php/Category:Pluggy.

* Copy and rename the appropriate "book_menu (xx).xml" file to "menus\book_menu.xml". If you are unsure which one the use, pick the vanilla one. There is a file for the following UI mods

- Vanilla UI or BTmod (same file)

- DarkUI by DarkbBirdy

- DarnifiedUI by DarN

- DarkUI'd DarN by Gothic251

- Phinix Immersive DarkUI

- You can configure the added menus and buttons in the "menus\prefabs\journal\generic_config.xml". By default it will match a vanilla or DarnUI look.

* The default ini file will be created when you first start this mod, nothing else needed.

* Updating from an older version is fully automatic and won't require extra steps!

* (recommended) DarnUI 1.3.2 or higher that adds a messagebox scrollbar.

The bolded part is what I am confused on. How can I paste those XML files into another XML? That makes no sense to me.

• 7 months later...

I too have had the same problem with Windows 7. But alas I have found an answer!

Ok, here's what you do: you go to your control panel and go to system and security> action center> change user account control settings, then slide the bar to never notify. And last reboot your computer.

Problem solved! I hope this helped you, if not, I am sorry.

Enjoy your modding!