Persistant freeze - can you spot something I've missed?

VonDeVon

Okay, I'm at an utter loss. LOOT throws up zero dirty edits (beyond official DLC and unofficial patches), no errors, papyrus log just lists " Error: Cannot call GetRef() on a None object, aborting function call
stack:
[DialogueFollower (000750BA)].dialoguefollowerscript.CountFollowers() - "DialogueFollowerScript.psc" Line 62
[DialogueFollower (000750BA)].dialoguefollowerscript.OnUpdate() - "DialogueFollowerScript.psc" Line 97
" before the game freezes or CTDs and now it's always always happening during the intro cutscene and I can't for the life of me work out why.

My LOOT load, in the last desperate hope that someone can point out an error.

Skyrim.esm
Update.esm

Unmanaged: Dawnguard.esm
Unofficial Dawnguard Patch.esp
Unmanaged: HearthFires.esm
Unofficial Hearthfire Patch.esp
Unmanaged: Dragonborn.esm
Unofficial Dragonborn Patch.esp

ApachiiHair.esm
ClimatesOfTamriel.esm
SPIKE.esm
Lanterns Of Skyrim - All in One Main.esm
hdtHighHeel.esm
OBlHairFinal.esm
OblivionHairPackAIO.esm
RaceCompatability.esm

Northgirl.esp
KTABladeOfWoe.esp
Better Stealth AI for Followers.esp
A Simple Marriage Mod.esp
StaticMeshImprovementMod - FurnitureChestSnowFix.esp
Roasted Meat - Vanilla.esp

ClimatesOfTamriel-Nights-Level-3.esp
DemonHunterArmor.esp
ADS.esp
ClamsDropPearls.esp
EpicElves by zzjay.esp
AMatterOfTime.esp
83Willows_101BUGS_V4_HighRes.esp
TrulyHarvestAntlers.esp

SKGwarpaints.esp
dynamic fires.esp
Aetherial Crown REPLACER.esp
SkyRealism - Time and Travel.esp
UnlimitedBookshelves.esp
MoreCraftableFoodItems.esp

SplashofRain.esp
DreamBurrowsRegalHuntsmanArmor.esp
ImprovedFrostyFrostSalts.esp
HentaiSuccubusArmor.esp
RealisticHumanoidMovementSpeed.esp
ESPv1_1.esp
ImprovedGlowingGlowDust.esp

Extended Slider Colors.esp
When Vampires Attack.esp
CookingExpanded.esp
LearnAlchemyFromRecipes.esp
GauldurAmuletBoost
MIDFollowMeCloser.esp

EnhancedLightsandFX.esp
ELFX - Exteriors.esp
3DNPC.esp
Real Sleep Mod.esp
Realistic Teeth Dawnguard Serana Vampire Fix.esp
Realistic crime report radius.esp
Run For Your Lives.esp

Animated Dragon Wings.esp
More Draconic Dragon Aspect - Wings.esp
More Draconic Dragon Aspect - Powered Edition.esp
SKLayeredpaints.esp
SKpaints2.esp
ScarletDawnArmor.esp

RealisticWaterTwo.esp
ELFXEnhancer.esp
ScottishBanneredMare.esp
Birdsofskyrim.esp
ClimatesOfTamriel-Interiors-Warm.esp
RemoveAmbientInteriorFog.esp
SaltSacks.esp

StaticMeshImprovementMod.esp
FurtherDarkDungeons for ENB.esp
HylianShielf.esp
Riverwood Redeveloped.esp
DF127RiversideShack.esp
Sentinel Falls.esp

Cyric79Crown.esp
ElvenSisters.esp
RealisticWaterTwo - Legendary.esp
Headtracking.esp
ImprovedFireyFireSalts.esp
SeraphineHuntedArmor.esp

Sit Anywhere.esp
SkaalKidAetaCoat.esp
comvex-hmpriestess.esp
SkyRealism - Feast and Famine.esp
Watercolor_for_ENB_RWT.esp
SkyRealism - Feast and Famine - Cooking Expanded.esp
SkyRealism - Feast and Famine - Hearthfires.esp

SkyUI.esp
SummerRobeNM.esp
StaticMeshImprovementMod-DragonbornTernFix.esp
SupremeStorms - Cot Version.esp
TDNEquipableHorns.esp
TakeNotes.esp

UFO - Ultimate Follower Overhaul.esp
Better Follower Improvements.esp
LydiaLoopFix.esp
StavesofSkyrim.esp
HeljarchenFarm.esp
Sleeping Innkeepers.esp
HBetterBows.esp
FionaOutfit.esp
WindstadMine.esp

Point The Way.esp
buildablehouse.esp
03_solstheim_extended.esp
filled_pots.esp
Signs_of_Skyrim.esp
SmithingTomes.esp
P1FlyingRing.esp
More Draconic Dragon Aspect - Flying Mod Addon.esp
thereserve_v2.esp

FNISspells.esp
Killable Lootable Children for Hearthfires.esp
Calming Island.esp
Light Elven Armor.esp
NoMoreMinePests.esp
BladeofEvilsBane.esp
HoldBorderBanners.esp

Horses for followers.esp
Portable Campsite.esp
Osare Culort Outfit.esp
Osare KneeSocks 2nd.esp
KR - Solitude No Sewer sound.esp
DragonboneBarbarianArmor.esp

GypsyEyesCaravan.V2.esp
Raven Witch Armor.esp
WestWindMisfit.esp
Ranger's Cape.esp
UNP Boots.esp
UNP Simply Clothes.esp

UniqueWeapons.esp
Insanity's RedEagle's Bane.esp
Witch Of The Wild.esp
aMidianborn_Skyforge_Weapons.esp
RaceCompatibilityUSKPOverride.esp

hothtrooper44_ArmorCompilation.esp
LightBladesArmor.esp
Elven Archer Armor.esp
Bashed Patch, 0.esp

LOOT on its own isn't good enough, as I found out the hard way. Using Wrye Bash saved my load order problems. The CoT weather patches were a big culprit in the end, actually. Try this, and the odds are good you'll clear up your problems:

Install and load up Wrye Bash, and look for any mods that are shown in red or orange. Red means a missing master file - basically a guaranteed CTD on startup. Orange means that some ESP has requested its master files in an order that is different to the the order that you currently have them in. Orange mods are arguably more dangerous, because you won't necessarily get an immediate CTD every time, so you may be lulled into a false sense of security, whereas in reality you have an unstable load order.

Clicking on the orange/red mods will show you what masters they have, and what order they want them in. From here on in, it becomes like a puzzle: you need to manually drag and drop the various masters in your load order until their order is harmonious (ie. you've managed to provide the desired order of master files for every single ESP in your list simultaneously) and all of your oranges have disappeared*. This shouldn't take you more than 5 or 10 minutes. If it's not possible to eliminate all orange mods, you may need to ditch one or two mods/patches.

Once you're done, save your load order, and be aware that whenever you run LOOT, it will f*#@ the order up again. I still recommend using LOOT from time to time, but you'll need to manually clean up after it with Wrye Bash each time.

*the only oranges I wouldn't worry about are if, for example, one mod wants dawnguard.esm to come before dragonborn.esm, while another mod wants dragonborn.esm to come before dawnguard.esm. There's nothing you can do about this catch 22, but it can probably be safely ignored anyway, since those ESMs are right next to each other and shouldn't have any inherent conflicts between them.

By the way, freezes are caused by overexerted hardware (usually your GPU) and filled up memory (VRAM) Run the skyrim performance monitor, play for 10-15 minutes and post the log it gives you here.

Skyrim performance monitor is already running. I can't play for 10-15 minutes anymore. :)

LOOT on its own isn't good enough, as I found out the hard way. Using Wrye Bash saved my load order problems. The CoT weather patches were a big culprit in the end, actually. Try this, and the odds are good you'll clear up your problems:

-snip-

Thank you. :) I always run Wrye Bash after changing anything, before running Skyrim again to test. I never have anything but green in Wrye Bash.

How are your texture mods looking? Do you play in 3Dvision? Do you crash mainly in cities and outdoors? Have you tried flying around with player.setav.speedmult 3000 and tcl and seeing if that reveals any problem areas?

btw I don't think safety load is meant to be used if you're already using SKSE.

How are your texture mods looking? Do you play in 3Dvision? Do you crash mainly in cities and outdoors? Have you tried flying around with player.setav.speedmult 3000 and tcl and seeing if that reveals any problem areas?

btw I don't think safety load is meant to be used if you're already using SKSE.

Safety load fixed the infinite loading screens - but that didn't used to be a problem and is probably related to the overall issue.

All my texture mods are mid to minimal quality because I've always valued FPS over quality. When I play the game with the intro, it crashes before Helgen ever comes into view. When I play the game and skip the intro, it freezes at approximately 4 minute intervals with no connecting theme that I've noticed (in the woods, by the river, killing animals or even just standing still and checking myself out).

The only major thing(s) I've changed since my last stable load is the ENB, Climates of Tamriel, Project ENB and the replacing of W.A.T.E.R with Realistic Water Two + Watercolor. :smile: I picked them because they seemed to be uncomplicated, undemanding and well within my PC's capability. After almost a week of dedicated work and a heck of a lot of swearing, I really don't want to concede defeat - but it's looking like I should just go back to ugly vanilla visuals. Or maybe try modding through Steam... Surely that has to be less problematic...

Edit: I flew around and, as with walking, it was fine until suddenly it froze. I went upstream, rocks and trees popping in after I arrived, then over the mountain and down - then freeze.

Edit 2: Have removed CoT and it is running for much longer before CTD. Will continue experimenting.

By the way, freezes are caused by overexerted hardware (usually your GPU) and filled up memory (VRAM) Run the skyrim performance monitor, play for 10-15 minutes and post the log it gives you here.

Skyrim performance monitor is already running. I can't play for 10-15 minutes anymore. :smile:

Play till the crash....Post the Graph as Valkasha mentioned.

I did look into the patch thing from page one....seams IF you use the CoT weather Patch (only one night lighting) they are ALL incomparable with the Original Night lighting...this is from the Installer in MO..

Climates of Tamriel - Weather patch is a total enhanced project of the original Climates of Tamriel of JJC71. The aim of this project is to pick up where JJC71 left and continue his mod with further enhancements. Besides new features and new re-done weathers all the weathers have gone through a rebalance. Night levels have been changed (incompatible with the original night levels!) and all Image Spaces have been adjusted. Check mod page for further details.

So if using one of the Night level patches from ...Climates Of Tamriel - Weather Patch by prod80 ....use none of the orginal NL patches

I'd keep my eye on the CoT and realistic water patches, more so than the actual mods themselves. Some of the CoT patches can be merged using tes5edit, and others may not be worth the hassle

Personally, I wouldn't use any night patches from CoT (or CoT patches) at all. ELFX does a better job on its own in my opinion (ie. it makes fires etc. still bright), and you can tweak your ENB to make night as dark or light as you want by lowering/raising the ambientintensity and directintensity (and ambientcurve and directcurve) settings under [ENVIRONMENT]. That would allow you to potentially remove one or more pieces of the CoT puzzle.