! HELP needed ! -can't install Skyrim ! - by Witgar

Witgar

:smile: Hi Forummembers and Nexus-Team,

I come up with this Question because right now after trying for almost a whole day I'm :verymad:

absolutely annoyed and angry about this "Steam-Crap" because I think it's in N O W A Y acceptable

that players/Fans/Users buy a "Retail-Version" of "SKYRIM WITH Reg.-Key-Code" and it's not possible

in any way to install this Game from the DVD !!! :wallbash:

I finally managed to set up a new System with Windows 7PRO , Admin-Rights and

to buy me a Retail Version of "Skyrim" . :dance:

Since I already knew about the "STEAM-PROBLEMS" , I wanted to find out about , how to install

the Game from the DVD and found several Tutorials, but they all finally came to the the same Procedure

as mentioned below and that's the way I tried and tried and ..... :verymad: but it doesn't work ,

so here is what I did :

1. Installed Steam on a seperate Harddrive/Partition -

after that the Steam client started and wanted an internet-connection for updating, but since there was none

the process was cancelled . So far so good - or not -

2. Opened the Win Command Line and typed in the following :

(Letter of HDD):\Steam\steam.exe - install (Letter of DVD-Drive):

Now what happened was that the STEAM-Client opened up again and wanted to start the

above mentioned "UPDATE" again - so I connected to the Internet and the Procedure began , BUT -

after a short while it said, that STEAM wasn't available at the MOMENT AND THAT I SHOULD TRY

LATER !!! THE LATER IS NOW ALMOST "24 HOURS" AGO, I'm absolutely in the mood to take the

biggest sword and kill those who developed this .... !!!

In fact it's no Problem to get on the "Steam-Site" and look around there (couldn't find a Hint how to solve Problem),

so why isn't it available for installation and why do I need Steam, when I use a Retail AND NOT Download -Version of that Game !!!

I really would like to know who's responsable for this absolute bad, shitty and irrelevant INSTALLATION-PROCESS !!!

SO IF YOU CAN, HAVE A SOLUTION AND/OR ANY IDEA HOW TO GET AROUND THIS, so that I don't have to

throw the damn thing into the trash or sell it for a low Price , PLEASE ANSWER AND HELP !!!

WITH MANY SPECIAL THANKS AND REGARDS

WITGAR

Your post seems more in line with a rant, but I'm going to do what I can to try and assist you.

First off, I bought the game the day it downloaded, picked it up at midnight, and was installing it by 12:30a.

The reason is requires Steam, is to:

1) Assist in the validation of the program.

2) Make it a little harder to pirate.

3) Provides a standard platform for the game.

4) GIVE YOU A METHOD TO GET YOUR GAME BACK IF YOU LOSE THE INSTALL DISC!

5) Simplify the purchase and installation of DLC's.

Now, that aside, when you install from the DVD, it still requires you to connect to Steam, to verify the registration code.

To do that, and avoid having to install anything from the DVD, go to the menu at the top, choose Games, and "Activate a Product on Steam". It'll say you need to get ready to provide the registration key. Click next, and agree to the Steam Subscriber Agreement (required), and then type in the registration key. Once you've done that, go to next, and it should add the game to your Steam account. Then, you have added Skyrim to your Steam library and account.

Once you've added the game to your Steam account, if the install from disc is not working, simply remove the disc, and choose to install, and Steam will download the game to install it.

This should provide a method to get your game installed. I hope it works out for you.

:thumbsup: Hi and many thanks to ACAkutare !! :yes:

Of course you might be right with the term "rant" , you've used, but I guess it's understandable

that I was totally upset about the fact that I had bought this Game with Reg-Key, age verification

and everything and then, too bad, couldn't install it !?

Eventhough I had tried about a whole day long -

But nevertheless - now it's done ...... :dance: ......and it w o r k s !!!

Allthough , inspite the mentioned facts I've did it in a different way, 'caus I didn't want the game installed

from Steam, first because of the download time and second I have the original DVD as I wrote .

So, what I did was installing Steam (Userinterface) and had the Game registered .

After that I started Steam and changed to the "OFFLINE-MODE" and then it was possible to install

SKYRIM from the DVD, which took not very long .

Then I started Steam again in the "ONLINE-MODE" and downloaded the HD-DLCs 1,2 and 3 and that was it !

It's somehow reasonable that Steam provides a download for the Game in fact someone might have lost or damaged the DVD for some reason, but that its needed in connection with the installation-process I still think this is absolutely needless and redundant .

It would have been a lot more better and comfortable if you get installed the software first from DVD, see if it works correct and THEN get it registered with your own account, like it is done and practiced with many, many other software !

I just did so with a video-editing-program I use, and there it's also possible to recieve support, downloads and a backup in case something happens to your original version .

Now, ironically, I have some trouble installing the Mods I would like to use, but having Mod-Organizer installed I have the chance to keep the game-installation clean .

:smile: Saying again many thanks, with greatings and regards

Witgar

:thumbsup: Hi and many thanks to ACAkutare !! :yes:

Of course you might be right with the term "rant" , you've used, but I guess it's understandable

that I was totally upset about the fact that I had bought this Game with Reg-Key, age verification

and everything and then, too bad, couldn't install it !?

Eventhough I had tried about a whole day long -

But nevertheless - now it's done ...... :dance: ......and it w o r k s !!!

Allthough , inspite the mentioned facts I've did it in a different way, 'caus I didn't want the game installed

from Steam, first because of the download time and second I have the original DVD as I wrote .

So, what I did was installing Steam (Userinterface) and had the Game registered .

After that I started Steam and changed to the "OFFLINE-MODE" and then it was possible to install

SKYRIM from the DVD, which took not very long .

Then I started Steam again in the "ONLINE-MODE" and downloaded the HD-DLCs 1,2 and 3 and that was it !

It's somehow reasonable that Steam provides a download for the Game in fact someone might have lost or damaged the DVD for some reason, but that its needed in connection with the installation-process I still think this is absolutely needless and redundant .

It would have been a lot more better and comfortable if you get installed the software first from DVD, see if it works correct and THEN get it registered with your own account, like it is done and practiced with many, many other software !

I just did so with a video-editing-program I use, and there it's also possible to recieve support, downloads and a backup in case something happens to your original version .

Now, ironically, I have some trouble installing the Mods I would like to use, but having Mod-Organizer installed I have the chance to keep the game-installation clean .

:smile: Saying again many thanks, with greatings and regards

Witgar

You're quite welcome. Personally, I'm not a huge fan of Steam, but it has saved me by having my files always available for me to reinstall, especially after an unfortunate hard drive crash.

And honestly, given some of the DRM I've seen on games, having a Steam requirement for them is the least of my concerns, considering they could be using a rootkit, or something like Starforce copy protection.

As for mod installations, I don't use MO, and I just recently started using Wrye Bash, but I hope you get it all worked out.