Malware may still be active, but in a different location

joquanpro

They can disable the task manager?

Yes. If you right-click on the Task Bar and "Task Manager" is gray-ed out on the pop-up window, that is the work of malware. If you CTRL+ALT+DEL and the full-screen window that displays also has "Task Manager" gray-ed out, that's malware doing that. In this case, you'd need a different process viewing program like Process Explorer to see what is running in memory to find and kill what should not be there.

When you have a good-working, clean system, THAT is the time to take a snapshot of your machine to see what it looks like when not infected. Run HijackThis and save the log somewhere so you can have something to compare with when you suspect something is there that should not be....otherwise you have to be an uber-geek to look at a HijackThis report and be able to identify something out of the ordinary.

LHammonds

I also picked up the same thing from the Main site, happily Malwarebytes has removed it without any problems. AVG (full version) and Spybot S&D didn't pick it up at all.

I'm using Firefox, never use IExplorer and initially though it may just be a popup from the site when AVG Firewall wanted me to allow IE to open up with more rules than usual. Decided to block it just in case but it kept asking. Tried to close iexplore.exe in task manager to no avail. It didn't get as far as any pop ups as I kept blocking the requests to access the internet.

Just wanted to let you know.

Sorry I haven't been keeping up with this thread, as I have been extremely busy with the two companies that I have major influence in.

Anyways, I caught the thing a second time, and I lived with IEXPLORER.exe running for a good two weeks before it finally started to lock up my computer. When my anti-virus software started picking up a ton of viruses and malware, I started running MalwareBytes, and it picked it up and eradicated it right away. Thanks for the recommendation. :)

ok for future uses you could browse the Nexus through a sandbox...., so in any case of virus infection it will only be in the sandbox and not in your windows  :thumbsup: