Imperial or Metric system?

Retribution

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Woot nice one Vagrant0, that's showing them whats better :thumbsup:

Case closed.

Not really, I suspect that if the measurement were in metric, they would have STILL had trouble. Not everyone can subtract 38mm, no 41m, no 36mm from 52mm in their head, especially when someone deliberately says it as 4.1cm, or .41 decimeters (if they're really trying to be an ass)

I guess your right there, but isn't that what a measuring tape is for :dry:

Anyways you cant really win in this case, its stalemate i think.

Woot nice one Vagrant0, that's showing them whats better :thumbsup:

Case closed.

Aaand here we go again. Those who want to use the Imperial system just want to do so because they're used to it and like it. By contrast, the metric fans seem to need to keep saying that metric is better. No live and let live, is there.

Well, I do think there's a small, underlying feeling of 'Why can't the English Enclave just do something another way than theirs for once...' beneath the more aggressive pro-metric attitudes. But it's just a feeling, it doesn't really matter. :P

In my opinion, metric is more simple and pratical in comparison, but the difference is rather negible. Just use whatever you prefer. I stick to metric myself, since it's what I've grown up with, while I wouldn't call anyone out on using the imperial system. Also, the imperial system just sounds and feels more homely, while the metric system sounds best being used in a laboratory or field headquarters.

There's this bit in George Orwell's 1984 when he visits a prol-pub, and an old man walks up and tries to order a pint. However, the state of Oceania only uses the metric system, and all they have on hand are litres or half-litres. A pint just sounds better, don't you think?

There is nothing wrong with a pint or pinch or dash as it is mostly used in cooking and is better considered as cooking jargon (admit it, most of us use it during cooking). When you are starting to make lets say a probe to be launched to space for research and it is an international project, then you need something that is simple and able to make quick calculations without constantly rounding off fractions. There was one insident where a probe crash landed to earth because of unit error where a European used the Metric system while the American counterpart used US standard. We need consistance between units and a more simpler system and while there is nothing wrong with Imperial, Metric offers alot more versatilely than Imperial.

But those of us who use Imperial measures at home are quite capable of using metric measures when dealing internationally, as I myself often do. The objection is to being FORCED to use metric measures at home, as has been attempted by the EU (out of sheer bossy bottom-ness).

Yea, forcing people to change habits is never a good idea. It is better if the kids start to learn Metric and the Imperial system slowly be phased out. In 20~40 years time people would be more use to the Metric system than to the Imperial and then it will be possible for Imperial to be removed.

Maybe forcing anyone to metric would be the the wrong term in a law.

It might be a better expression to make metrics to an industrial standard.

You don't need to throw all your engines out of the window, but finaly every new product should be sold in metric. This would introduce the metric system step by step in a more natural way. ( I wonder why the US still produces and sells products based on both systems ...)

Lets give a time target of 10 years and really everyone will be able to make his/her endproducts metric. This wouldn't have ever sth to do with your private use of measures or existing machines.