How To Install Plugins/mods

Stampede

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

*** Im not sure if I should have posted this here ***

I just installed the GOTY Edition of Oblivion and have everything up to date with Kinghts of the Nine and Shivering Isles. I have compiled a list of mods I found interesting and since I have never modded before i was looking for some help with install and load sequencing.

Here are the mods i found cool and a brief explanation as to why i liked them.

Francesco's optional items and creatures - this is a modular mod allowing me to choose just the added items and creatures as well as stopping them from leveling up with me. I always hated getting half way through the original game and not being strong enough to kill a scamp because i had leveled up too high. This is also supposed to be compatible with Shivering Isles

Quest Award Leveler - so all the cool items i get level up with me

Armory Lab - I like to be organized plain and simple

Mountain Tower - call it my second home

Deadly Reflex 3 - New fighting styles need I say more

Thieves Arsenal - I love added quests and i like rouge characters so this is a must for me

Harvest Flora - i hate not being able to pick a flower how uncoordinated do you have to be to mess that up?

Elven Cartographer - better looking map

House Map Marker - quick traveling

Darnified UI - better menu system

Key Chain Mod - no scrolling through tons of keys

Saddle Bags - Useful Horse

AF Leveling - simplest leveling adjustment i could find

Alternate Start - option to make character information right away and not be a criminal

So these are the main mods i thought i would like but im not sure about the overall load order. I need to know if there is a sequence that works better than most. Like do i need to load the texture based mods first then the UI adjustment then the game play stuff.

I was also wondering about the Unofficial Oblivion patch, Shivering Isles patch and Mod patch. Are these nescisary or can i skip these unofficial mods.

Anyway enough of my ramblings all in all im just looking for a Dummies Guide to making mods work.

Thanks a million to anyone who bothers to take the time to set me strait

Cheers

Most of that shouldn't need to be loaded in any particular order... some parts of Fran's will need to go last, but it'll give details in the readme. I'm also not sure if it's compatible with AF leveling, as they both change similar things. Similarly, it may be incompatible with Deadly Reflex, but I'm not sure about that.

You MUST get the SI patch, it fixes a game-breaking bug.

You can get the unofficial patch if you like- I've never used it, so I don't know if it does anything useful. And I've never heard of the 'mod patch'- what exactly do you mean by that?

You should read the readme for every mod you download though- I've never used most of these mods, so they might need to be loaded in a certain place, or they might not be compatible with one of the other ones you want.

That should be everything you need to know- happy modding :)

Most of that shouldn't need to be loaded in any particular order... some parts of Fran's will need to go last, but it'll give details in the readme. I'm also not sure if it's compatible with AF leveling, as they both change similar things. Similarly, it may be incompatible with Deadly Reflex, but I'm not sure about that.

You MUST get the SI patch, it fixes a game-breaking bug.

You can get the unofficial patch if you like- I've never used it, so I don't know if it does anything useful. And I've never heard of the 'mod patch'- what exactly do you mean by that?

You should read the readme for every mod you download though- I've never used most of these mods, so they might need to be loaded in a certain place, or they might not be compatible with one of the other ones you want.

That should be everything you need to know- happy modding :)

So i get that the mods should work together but im using the mod manager and it says there are conflicts between certain mods. My question is do i need to move the important ones closer to the end of the load list so those mods are what get applied over the other ones?

So i get that the mods should work together but im using the mod manager and it says there are conflicts between certain mods. My question is do i need to move the important ones closer to the end of the load list so those mods are what get applied over the other ones?

Yeah, basically, any changes made by a mod are made when it's loaded, so if a mod loaded later on changes the same thing as an earlier mod, it will overwrite the earlier mod's changes. You should read the readme for each mod and see if it's got to be loaded in a particular place- Fran's, for example, has several different esps and an esm, and they all have to be loaded in a certain order.

As for the conflict detector... you only need to worry about major conflicts (the ones in red), and most of those won't actually have a noticeable effect on your game- but two house mods which change the same cell, for example, won't work together no matter what order they're loaded in. It all depends on the mod or modder in question. For example, I load TNR (Tamriel NPCs Revamped) near the beginning, so that any other mods that change the face of an NPC, perhaps for a quest, or something, can change it how they want to, and it won't interfere with that quest- someone else might want to do it the other way around. Other mods might not conflict if loaded in one order, but might if loaded in another order. You just have to experiment, and see what works for you..

@7Du: What do you mean? Do you mean you get an error when you double click the .esp file, or does it come in a .exe file, and you get an error when you try to run that, what?

I was wondering much of the same as ncusak. I have numerous mods but experienced no conflicts untill i installed and activated Deadly Reflex 3. I've managed to get it working after numerous attempts (trial and error) but the last obstacle, if you will, is that it tends (frequently) to crash to desktop when I've managed to kill an NPC or Bandit or the like. I suspected there was some sort of conflict with Francescos mods but deactivated them and found the error to remain. I can't think of any other mod it could have a problem with and am at a loss as what the problem might be?

BTW, in which order should the Francesco mods be? I can't seem to find anything about it in the readme.

//Very thankful for reply.

Overall i seem to have gotten my mods working the only issue is when i quit oblivion i get a generic windows error with the error reporting option. I havent seen any troubles with the mods im running and if the only time i get a conflict is when i shut the game down i think im doing alright. For the most part the OBMM is giving me tons of conflicts but nothing i can see in game yet. When i have my ideal setup for mods i think i will list a load order for anyone interested. Thanks again for all the help it has made things a million times easier.