ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

Really Weird Missing Meshes

I have tracked down several Yellow-Diamond markers indicating missing meshes to Kragenir's Death Quest.

However, when I look at the file in the CS, they are there no problem.

For instance, a custom book is placed in Luther Board's Boarding House in the IC Elven Gardens District. In-Game there is no book, but instead a yellow diamond. When I look at it in the CS, the book is there, and not pointing to some custom mesh, just the vanilla \meshes\clutter\folio01.nif. There was also a key in the Hound of Ill Omen...

Hmmmmm. What on earth could be going on? Refscope, unfortunately, won't let me actually select a yellow diamond. But, the book is there in the CS, not there In-Game, but instead a yellow diamond.

Anybody have any clue what is going on?

EDIT:

OK, stupid me; it is NOT Kragenir's that is the problem; I was looking on the wrong table for the book, and it was very coincedental that Kragenir's edits the two cells where I saw the yellow diamonds, and in one had actually placed items right next to where the diamond appears.

Still looking, and trying to figure it out...

If the meshes that are yellow diamonds meshes that you already have in your data folder, it means that they have become corupted and they will eventually corupt the others, I fix it by uninstalling everything, do a defrag and restart and then install the game.

I have tracked down several Yellow-Diamond markers indicating missing meshes to Kragenir's Death Quest.

However, when I look at the file in the CS, they are there no problem.

For instance, a custom book is placed in Luther Board's Boarding House in the IC Elven Gardens District. In-Game there is no book, but instead a yellow diamond. When I look at it in the CS, the book is there, and not pointing to some custom mesh, just the vanilla \meshes\clutter\folio01.nif. There was also a key in the Hound of Ill Omen...

Hmmmmm. What on earth could be going on? Refscope, unfortunately, won't let me actually select a yellow diamond. But, the book is there in the CS, not there In-Game, but instead a yellow diamond.

Anybody have any clue what is going on?

EDIT:

OK, stupid me; it is NOT Kragenir's that is the problem; I was looking on the wrong table for the book, and it was very coincedental that Kragenir's edits the two cells where I saw the yellow diamonds, and in one had actually placed items right next to where the diamond appears.

Still looking, and trying to figure it out...

You should definitely be able to ID the missing mesh with RefScope. I have no clue what you are doing. You can try FormID Finder if you are really having problems with it. Did you read the ReadMe?

Mods for Troubleshooting - http://tesivpositive.animolious.com/?page=troubleshooting_mods <-- grab FormID Finder, maybe you are using an older version of RefScope as well...?

If the meshes that are yellow diamonds meshes that you already have in your data folder, it means that they have become corupted and they will eventually corupt the others, I fix it by uninstalling everything, do a defrag and restart and then install the game.

I think there would be a few more problems if that were the case, especially since the game crashes without the original resources... Corrupt original BSAs is rare, and most modified Oblivion problems people have are mod-related or insufficient hardware.

Edit: ...or codec issues/software conflicts

Well whether my assumptions are correct or not, deleting everything and reinstalation fixes this problem, I've had this problem lots of times, I know my fix for it works

That's because you remove all of your mods in the process... Most mod-related issues disappear when you revert to the vanilla game, which can be achieved without reinstalling, in most cases. If you really do not feel like going through your mods, then sure, starting from scratch would take care of any mod-related problems (as long as you do not reintroduce the problem.)

Well whether my assumptions are correct or not, deleting everything and reinstalation fixes this problem, I've had this problem lots of times, I know my fix for it works

That's because you remove all of your mods in the process... Most mod-related issues disappear when you revert to the vanilla game, which can be achieved without reinstalling, in most cases. If you really do not feel like going through your mods, then sure, starting from scratch would take care of any mod-related problems (as long as you do not reintroduce the problem.)

So if you don't go through each and every mod installed like you're saying how do you 'fix' the problem?

I would have figured out which plugin the missing meshes belonged to (if any) and corrected the install. I use BAIN, so keeping track of installed files is really easy. However, I would also do something like use binary search, or sense I know my mod list very well, I could do a more focused search. Dealing with missing resources issues is often as simple as figuring out which mod is having issues, and then checking the install. Rarely is an exhaustive search required, you just need the right tools and techniques.

I've never heard of bain before but I do have experience with other utility's and they sometimes cause more problems than what they're worth. But kudo's to you for trying to help David. :)

I still think that a reinstall is far easier and simpler, and I still think the diamond thing is caused by ether a bad load order or a corupted mesh but each to their opinions.

I agree to disagree with you. Lets just leave it to that huh? :thumbsup:

I've never heard of bain before but I do have experience with other utility's and they sometimes cause more problems than what they're worth. But kudo's to you for trying to help David. :)

I still think that a reinstall is far easier and simpler, and I still think the diamond thing is caused by ether a bad load order or a corupted mesh but each to their opinions.

I agree to disagree with you. Lets just leave it to that huh? :thumbsup:

There is no opinion as far as the source of the problem is. It is whatever it is. Those are missing mesh markers, so load order has nothing to do with it. Corrupted meshes and missing meshes are also very different.

As for BAIN, you know nothing about it, so you have not information with which to judge it. However, if you are a person that does not like putting in the time to learn how to get the most out of the various available utilities, that is fine. You do not need utilities to manage mods well, but it makes things easier for most.

Reinstalling, in some cases, might be simpler, but, in most cases, it is unnecessary.

Most of what I have stated here are simply statement, not opinions. I am trying to help the OP solve a problem, and learn how to solve the problem. If I reinstalled the game every time I saw a missing mesh icon, I probably would have stopped playing it. It is not always simple either, and I am fortunate to have a machine for which the install procedure does not take very long.