Metal Music

TheCalliton

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a young metalhead (only 14) but I listen to a lot of old stuff like black sabbath, iron maiden megadeth and also quite a lot of gothic metal like poisonblack, mourning beloveth and my dying bride. I think people just don't listen to the music and just hear noise because thats what they expect to hear, thanks to media manipulation etc. They just act dismissive. I also love destroyer 666. Also, some people get confused and start listening to stuff like evanesence and call their selves metalheads for the attention.

youd like a band called ANVIL

and youd like old metallica, and maybe a band called Corrosion Of Conformity (C.O.C.)

so, is the nexus full of fellow metalheads?

Ooh, metal! Sorry if this post gets a little long...

Personally, I think everyone should have their own personal taste in music. Me? I love metal. More of the modern stuff, not as much the classics, but still. Just because I'd rather listen to Nightwish or Strapping Young Lad than Metallica or Anthrax, metal is metal. And metal is music. The prejudice that so many people, especially the elderly, (no offense to you old folks out there...) have against metal is ridiculous. I can't tell you how many times I've heard the "Now I'll show you real music!" and then get to hear some Rolling Stones or whatnot. Sure, if you like it, good for you. I don't. And I don't try to force my love of metal onto others, but I don't get why we have to get pop and rap forced onto us. Honestly, I think many people that hate metal hate the idea of metal, but may like it if they gave it a chance. Take Eluveitie for example. Celtic melodic black death folk metal, for those of you who don't know. Brilliant, amazing music, great lyrics, and one of my favorite vocalists. Not everyone's cup of tea. But they released an acoustic folk CD, "Evocation I-The Arcane Dominion." I've yet to meet someone who dislikes it. Or Nightwish, my absolute favorite band. Sure, not everyone's gonna appreciate the overdone symphonies and operatic vocals, but a lot of people that dislike other styles of metal may find that they enjoy Nightwish. I guess what I'm saying is this.

With the majority of us metalheads, our horns are our fingers, not our heads. The bad rep that metal gets is undeserved, and usually uneducated. Like everything else in the world, don't knock it 'til you try it. If you still prefer Lady Gaga or Kanye West or Tim McGraw or whatever, by all means, go for it! It's your right. But don't go insulting the music, musicians, and fans of other genres because they aren't yours. Trust me, I could go on about the JoBros or Justin Bieber or all those others, and it wouldn't be pretty.

Oh, and finally... If you haven't done so before, do yourself a favor and go listen to some Nightwish. I hope you won't regret it. (Notice how I wasn't pushy in supporting my preferred music?!)

I'm not a metal head. Does that work?

then what is your opinion, mine friend?

I'm into indie, 70~80's genre and "softer" rock music rather than metal. One of my favourite bands btw is Crowded House :wub:

Edit: Lady Gaga? Justin Bieber? :yucky: Sounds more like garbage to me

Im very much a "nasty" metal head. Not that that means Im a metal head who is nasty, or have a nasty, metal, head, but that I preffer "nasty" metal music, the proper loud stuff. Ironicaly, I tend to think best when Im entirely in my own space, and blasting away the rest of the world's audio stimulii with death metal is one such way to achieve that.

Its strange, most people who arent into metal that I've met think that deathmetal fans who sit at home with it blasting at them on max volume probably arent that smart, and just like the sound of banging, clanging and screaming. Its not like that at all, i usualy listen to this sort of music while writing. A former freind of mine from america, writes, with each particular short story being inspired directly by the music he is listening to.

Usualy the louder the music, the less I get distracted by the constant noise of conservative suburbia, which is a lot more distracting then music is, it often surprises people that I concentrate better the more I have around me to concentrate on.

And as for bieber and gaga, they'll be gone in a year. The fans will find someone younger to replace bieber, the fans will find a more exhibitionist woman to replace gaga, its how the industry works. They're the fetish of the month for the "trendy" set, and they'll be evicerated by the experience and cast aside in shreds. Bieber will get too old first, and Gaga will probably suicide or be replaced by a woman who wears even less. Metal however, like it's namesake, takes a lot of rusting and time to fully disapear, t will survive my lifetime Im sure.

I'm not a metal head. Does that work?

then what is your opinion, mine friend?

I'm into indie, 70~80's genre and "softer" rock music rather than metal. One of my favourite bands btw is Crowded House :wub:

Edit: Lady Gaga? Justin Bieber? :yucky: Sounds more like garbage to me

thatn youd like the older anvil, its more rockish than metalish

anyways, i don' get why people can like justin beiber "He's soo cute!" he wont be that cute when his balls drop

Im very much a "nasty" metal head. Not that that means Im a metal head who is nasty, or have a nasty, metal, head, but that I preffer "nasty" metal music, the proper loud stuff. Ironicaly, I tend to think best when Im entirely in my own space, and blasting away the rest of the world's audio stimulii with death metal is one such way to achieve that.

Its strange, most people who arent into metal that I've met think that deathmetal fans who sit at home with it blasting at them on max volume probably arent that smart, and just like the sound of banging, clanging and screaming. Its not like that at all, i usualy listen to this sort of music while writing. A former freind of mine from america, writes, with each particular short story being inspired directly by the music he is listening to.

Usualy the louder the music, the less I get distracted by the constant noise of conservative suburbia, which is a lot more distracting then music is, it often surprises people that I concentrate better the more I have around me to concentrate on.

And as for bieber and gaga, they'll be gone in a year. The fans will find someone younger to replace bieber, the fans will find a more exhibitionist woman to replace gaga, its how the industry works. They're the fetish of the month for the "trendy" set, and they'll be evicerated by the experience and cast aside in shreds. Bieber will get too old first, and Gaga will probably suicide or be replaced by a woman who wears even less. Metal however, like it's namesake, takes a lot of rusting and time to fully disapear, t will survive my lifetime Im sure.

Kudos to you :) It's funny, people ask me what music I listen to...and I smile and say "death metal" and they like :blink: I don't "look" like a metalhead...but you don't have to dress to show what you like. I always get "why do you like that?" and I just simply say, "because I like it...I just like the way it sounds. Powerful, passionate, and I just love the guitar." But people say the same thing about their music, it's all a matter of opinion...most people I know call it noise lol and won't even give it a listen....

I listen to it while I'm trying to figure out my story for my PC, cleaning, crocheting...just helps it along :)

I said in the music thread I listen to about anything except pop, rap, and country (I've tried...can't do it...urgh!). I just hate that crap lol. But I love classic rock, classical, instrumental, folk, etc. I'll listen to about anything, at least I'll give it a try...but I prefer death metal...heh listening to Amon Amarth now :D

Ugh, don't get me started on Beiber or Gaga...but yeah...they'll be gone within the year...hopefully. I'm really sick of seeing her everywhere...she's creepy, only reason she gets attention is cos she dresses like a freak and her videos are very sexual, :yucky: and her music is so generic...but that's about everything you hear on the radio. All the rock bands sound the same these days...the lyrics all go on the same theme. Music for the masses I suppose...I dunno, I don't even listen to the radio anymore...normally got talk radio on in the car now.

I get mad...my dad makes fun of me for listening to Kalmah (calls it de-evolution music) and the like, but gets pissed off at me when I say Lady Gaga is a freak and her music is lame just because his 3 YEAR OLD DAUGHTER loves her....ugh...I feel sick. :sick: Sorry, a 3 year old shouldn't be able to see those videos...but he's the parent. He really should think twice about what he lets her see on T.V....I saw WAY too much.....

Well, to start off, I listen to all types of music. I listen to Lady Gaga, Feist, Amon Amarth, Dethklok, Neutral Milk Hotel, Nujabes, and many other very different types of music. I think the primary reason Metal is often hated is because people still harbor old-fashioned thoughts about music, similar to what happened with The Beatles. Also, I don't think most people understand that Metal music usually isn't trying to be hateful, evil, or anything like that. Sometimes Metal is so over the top it's funny. Dethklok is a good example of this.