tes v

jack254

im going to do this fairly

1: due to the tamriel changing sizes too often (in dagger fall, it would take 10 hours to travel to the nearest town, in oblivion it takes less than half an hour to cross the country) the sizes should change so that vardenfell (where you are in morrowind) should be 4x bigger (twice as long and twice as wide) this is so that city's will feel like city's rather than villages or castles. i dont think people would mind if bethseda randomly generated areas so long as the places fit. (they could tweak them afterwards if somewhere was horribly wrong)

2: there are two things that could be caried along from fallout 3 without many people getting jarated- the first is the locational damage, the second is facial hair. (tattoos would be nice also, acording to lore many races heavily tatoo themselves, i want to get a glowing dremora one :) )

3: you know what, i think i would prefer it if bethseda made all of tamriel. as a compromise i think randomly generated quests would be ok. get 5 fire salts sounds ok for a mages guild quest, purge a cave of bandits sounds like a decent fighters guild quest, kill vardian dren sounds like a good morag tong quest. complex quests will of course be added by Bethesda, although we might get more stuff from the mod community,

4: less effort should be made with arifacts that the player will likely never see. more effort should be made with common generic armour such as steel. if you have played morrowind- remember how there was around 4 sets of bonemold? thats what i want.

5: i dont want skirts to turn into trousers when men wear them. i want to be able to wear clothes under my armour. i want to get the skirt,l/r pauldrons/gloves,belts back.

6: to change combat:

-- locational damage - limping, decreased effectiveness, blur when hit in the head-different animations when aiming in different areas

-- power attacks that kill should use a different animation (just to look epic, they shouldent take extra time) (imagine grabing an npcs shoulder and throwing him onto your sword or something)

-- you should be able to scare/injure the enemy into submission. chop a persons leg off and watch them crawl away, bring the sword down on a womans shoulder- where you have the option to chat/decapitate/leave or other inputs via mods (gentlemen)

-- mount combat

armour should do more than protect, each piece should have factors like: restrictiveness-how hard it is to move in. inspiration- how much does it inspire your enemys with fear/ your allies with confidence. disguise (mostly for head gear) if it makes it harder for people to recognise you

7: to change magic

-- weapons/ aparell should get their "on cast" back

--magic attacks can be used like

----- as a bolt (throw a ball of fire or something)

----- on target (the spell uses a hitray rather than a projectile, better for stealth and accuracy but worse for manna)

------ as a grenade (if used with light magic it should be like throwing a flare)

------ on self

------ as a stream (imagine turning your arm into a flamethrower, this is also how leach life should work)

the player should be able to change any light magics he uses. colour should be chosen,

8: the world should not level with the player AT ALL. (guards should not level with the player, but should grow more numerous) different regions should have different strength monsters.

9: dialogue

players should be able to chat from further away

no zoom or slow of time

instead of a few big name actors, 100 'nobodys" should be hired (but keep the voice actors of the male redguard and regain the old male dumner voice actor)

races should have subraces. for kajhits and argonians this means different breeds, for everyone else this means voices. (this should not be done in the manner of fallout 3)

voices should change with age (dumner could easily get a lower voice, the others will be harder)

more than 2 charecters in a conversation

10: companions

players should be able to bring a few, they should have an easier time ordering them around. players should also be able to summon their own daedra permantly. (but undead and daedra companions should be attacked, however some daedra like dremora should just mean people fear you

11: i want my spears back

- long and short blade should be seperated. i actualy believe what beth said about mace and axe being similar. however- a mace is hugely different from a warhammer, so there should be blunt two handed and one handed skills

- throwing weapons and crossbows- i want them

12: lore

-spider enemies should be able to traverse ceilings and walls (that would be fun :) )

- flying spells should be back

- dwemer stuff should be illiegal

- anything not made of iron or lesser should be stupidly expensive.

- even when the player is at the highest level- 80% of humans should be wearing items worse than steel

- glass weapons should be very light and almost rival ebony weapons. ebony weapons should harm ghosts. daedric should be uber rare and awesome

- proper flight. swimming should be treated well too

-racism should be a full feature in the game

- flying enemies in the game should manoeuvre like they are actually flying

-everyone is killable

-there will be NO GUNS. i have seen people suggest this before. the reason why most characters believe the dwemers disappeared was because they advanced in science

13: some armour should not be repaired by hammer, but with pieces of the material that makes the armour (chitin or leather for example)

14: destructible environments

15: i want choices. if person A tells me to get a potion that a person B stole, and person B tells me he will give me the potion if i go grab a set of armour, chances are i want to knock him out and steal the potion instead.

16: a decent crime system

-- the player should be able to kill 20 guards in a room and not get a bounty as long as one doesnt escape to report it

-- if a player is seen pick pocketing by a guard, but the player is wearing a hood obscuring the face, the guard will have to attack or check under the hood so he can report the player

-- a player should be able to offer to go to jail, but then back-stab the guard on the way

17:caves and dungeons

people say they where pissed of by the fact that oblivions dungeons where randomly generated. i am going to say they were wrong.

randomly generated is fine. its the fact that they all look the same that is the problem.

in tes 4 we had

cave

clone of cave with bits of wood in

aylied ruin

fort

now we need some variaty. for tes 5 we should have

catacombs

aylied ruins

mine 1

mine 2 (very different from mine one)

limestone cave

ash cave

rock cave

daedric ruin

daedric ruin 2

dwemer ruin (dwemer should look more like morrowinds dwemer rather than oblivions orrey, although it should appear to have more bronze in)

ancesteral tomb (like morrowind)

catacombs

dungeons

a list like this should stop anything being to repetative, also if spiders could wall climb and we had proper flying poo, we would be fine

for the plot i want it to be set just after the oblivion crisis, the player must unite the nations/let everything fall apart/ let one faction rule over the rest (half way through nabouring continent akaviri invades?)

Well, we can pray whatever we want to, but I think Bethesda has a final say on what they make.

But I think the next game needs a much larger worldspace. The one in Oblivion is too small, so most mods end up being built very close to eachother (Hint, there's at least 13 or so Dive Rock houses by now).

Indeed, and it would add on a ton of development time. People seemed to dislike Oblivion because it was called "The same thing over and over everywhere" (Not exact quote) in Yahtzee's review. They'd have to make each area unique to justify it, like it was in Morrowind.

im going to do this fairly

Nobody knows what the future holds, but you do make quite a lot of assumptions.

1: The world wasn't designed with modders in mind, and every cell adds quite alot of data to the game, even if empty. While having large tracts of wilderness might seem nice, it really doesn't end up that way. More empty space means more time traveling between places, and as is much of the areas off the beaten track don't get seen by 90% of the people playing. Even if randomly generated, it's alot of file size which is there just to get in the way and never really be appreciated. Having it where you can't walk 5 feet without tripping over a dungeon isn't better in any way, but finding that happy medium is easier said than done. Just be glad that the game is still free-roaming and isn't setup as just these little pockets of play area (like Dragon Age).

2: More customization will likely come. Don't forget that Oblivion is a fairly old game, and compared with Morrowind shows a much more in-depth and complete character customization process. The downside however is that as things get more and more advanced, not only does it take longer to produce them for the game staff, but it also limits what modders can do once the game is released. Games with very advanced character creation and morphs take a long time to implement, and an exceptionally long time for modders to figure out. People STILL don't have all the face morph stuff figured out for Oblivion.

3: Simple quests get boring and still take almost as much time to implement as more complicated ones. And, at the end of the day, people really want storyline and some sort of plot to be a part of. If you wanted meaningless quests, you can go play WoW.

4: Goes back to that whole bit about more complicated systems taking more time to work with. Morrowind used a very simple weighting method for actors where armors were just rough components which were overlapped without much bending. Armors in Oblivion are smooth components which bend and deform with the actor. Even FO3, which worked off a "whole body" approach had less in the way of equipment sets than Oblivion because it needed to work with a more complex system (amputation). And similarly, there are fewer new equipment mods for FO3 that can fully make use of this complex system. You can't have both better AND more, it's one or the other.

5: Reason #1... clipping. Reason #2... having to make variations for both genders which have the same basic shape and style when some of these variations would be more feminine in appearance than most would want. Reason #3 adding gender limitations to equipment always seems like a cop-out to doing the work.

6: Some yes... But probably just those bits that could be imported from or improved upon systems present in FO3. Other stuff might be neat, but probably isn't worth all the development time unless someone in the office sells their soul for some free time, and gets bored enough to try it.

7: We can only hope that magic gets a bit more love.

8: I disagree. While it is generally accepted that the way the game levels with you is just plain bad, some degree of randomness and variety is necessary to keep it interesting when going back into areas you've already been through. Making things too linear also totally destroys the whole bit about making the game free-roam. The best system is one which maintains some level of difficulty throughout the game, but has reasonable limitations on how strong encounters are. You have to give the player the freedom to go wherever he wants and still have a chance, meanwhile giving him the ability to decide for himself if he really wants to try fighting that Ogre who happens to be in the middle of the road and standing over the bodies of several guards when he has just recently gotten himself a weapon that is longer than a toothpick.

9: Here's an unfortunately little known fact. The problem was not that the Bethsoft team decided to be cheap on the voices, or decided that they really only needed 4 different for their game containing a cast of hundreds... It was that they just did not have space on the game disk for the voices which were recorded. One need only take a note of the beggars to realize that something is amiss from the voice end of things. One need only to look in the CS to see hundreds of lines of dialogue which were ripped out. Oblivion, when it was released, HAD to fit on a 4.4gb dvd disk because this was as large of media that the Xbox360 could manage at the time, and was the only format which they could use without going even more over budget. It was cheaper to spend the time going back to cut down the game to fit than it was to increase printing costs or deal with the problems of releasing two versions. When FO3 came around, not only was media cheaper and the game engine have more capabilities as far as voiced dialogue goes, but the game itself did not call for nearly as many lines of spoken dialogue which is why they could include far more voices and not have the same problems. As the standard media of the day is a Bluray with much higher data capacity, voices should not be a major concern. And, professional voice actors are rather cheap depending on the number of lines.

10: TES games are about the player, not some lacky that follows the player around. In both Morrowind, Oblivion, and FO3, companions just had a tendency to get in the way, interrupt ability to stay hidden, or otherwise screw up about every situation they might be applied to. A companion will always be controlled primarily by the AI or some convoluted control system, so will always interfere.

11: Part of that whole bit of complicated systems taking more time to get right. In the case of Oblivion, it was animating all the attacks as well as making the system easy enough for console players to grasp.

12: Not even going to answer this since I've mentioned most of the reasons above.

13: Full crafting systems are a pain for both the developer and the player. Do you really want to be almost at the end of a dungeon, realize your armor is broken, and have to go back to town to pick up a couple yards of thread, a few pieces of leather, a quart of hardener, and have to take a few days repairing your armor before you can do anything else? At that point, the crafting system becomes second only to how readily available a new set of armor is. Crafting and repair needs to be something which is either simple enough to do and be done with, or complex enough to make all those hoops you have to jump through worthwhile. And again, more complicated things mean more time developing those things.

14: Just doesn't work unless the entire environment is a single seamless setting... Which just would not work due to all the graphics, processing, and setup work involved.

15: Choices are dangerous. It starts with 1 or 2, then someone comes along and offers a 3rd, 4th, or 5th way that they'd rather do it. And at the end of the day, you'd just rather leave it at a single choice because it's easier to implement and ends the way that you wanted it to. Oblivion quests started out in having choices (since they saw to some of the DB questlines before others), then they realized how long it took planning those choices and saw that they were already behind schedule.

16: Fat chance... As so much of Oblivion (and FO3) can become broken from accidentally killing someone, they needed to implement a way to discourage you from even attempting. Oblivion did this with psychic guards, FO3 did this with towns that went psycho if you turn the radio off. Don't expect this to get better since game mechanics based on allowing random killings just don't get much of a positive reaction.

17: More meshes means more disk space (was already at a premium for Oblivion) and means countless more hours spent making those meshes. Nice, yes, but not easy and not always practical. Morrowind didn't need as much detail in the environments, and had a much more varied worldspace, so having more variety in caves made more sense.

The bottom line is that TES V will be whatever they want it to be, and it will probably be designed primarily for the console. As most of your complaints are things related either to extending production well beyond the point where anyone would even be able to remember that TES 4 exists, or pushing things beyond what consoles can do, it probably won't happen.

firstly- could we not have a feature similar to the voices of an apple mac or something?

imagine

npc

race- dremora (the audio will now echo)

subrace- dremora 4 (npc will use this voice)

age- the audio is altered slightly

emotion-pain

tex: mortal, you have beaten me, but you will not beat my kin

the game will then take all of this into account, and generate the speech

this would greatly reduce file size ( and the cost of voice actors)

it would also mean more mods will have dialogue in

secondly- dungeons would not be as common as oblivion (in oblivion, there was more bandits than regular people for *ban me* sake)

3: generic npcs could have their faces and race randomised (meaning we dont get a huge filesize because of several clone npcs with slight differences) (gender and subrace/voice also randomised)

when creating a generic npc there will be a demographic so that dremoras cant be in bandit groups, morrowind bandits are 80% dumner etc.

4:if the ai is improved, followers will not get in the way. (in fact, dispite occasionaly blocking doors- fawkes from fo3 is insanely usefull- he often kills more enemys than me)

In all honesty Im less concerned abotu what they do to the world, than what they do to how that world is revealed to us.

Because even if, IF an ESV was to be released, I'd be able to eventualy mod it or find someone else to mod it. So no problems with appearance, or levels, or gameplay would be permanent. What I hated about elder scrolls 2/3/4 was that I was a black hearted monster hurled from the darkness into a world expecting a holier than thou crusader of light. With an infamy stat that goes beyond what applies a modifier. With the blood of three entire cities on my claws, and robes woven partialy from the tortured souls of a trhousand innocents, even wielding the hideous weapons of chaos undivided and striding forth as an event horizon ripping apart reality itself with its shear mallice and intent for perceived evil, I was still treated like an angel among mortals.

That is what I want to see change. Im no hero in RPGs, I play a true villain, my Oblivion character, Nemesis Vindekarr, killed the entire populations eventualy of several whole cities, and committed more attrocities in one year than mehrunes dagon did in his entire existance. And I was worshipped as a saint, statues made in my honour, deemed a hero. Not only did I have to work solely to advance the cause of good and even spoke in dialogue like the sweet little darling heroes who's blood my character drinks, but the AI never new "who" my character was. I once gathered the entire populace of cheydinhall and slaughtered them for a modquest, at which point a fresh wave of guards spawned, they spent a good amount of time collating the bodies, then greeted me politetly and went on patrol even as I was razing the city. Now, thats using the best guard AI boosters on the internet.

What I want more than anything else is less idiotic AI, what we need is an interactive world that changes according to your actions. Because when I suck the soul out of someone in the highstreet, the populace should flee in supernatural dread, instead, they go about their business for thirty seconds, in chorus scream "help, murder" then attack the being who commited the "crime". And for pties sake I annihilated the populations of Bruma, Cheydinhall and Anvil, and yet nobody notices the fact that the towns are little more than piles of rubble and corpses.