Railroad Tycoon series

Sinophile

This game series has taught me the concept of stocks and bonds at a very young age, as well as the concept of supply and demand, hostile takeovers, and the effects of technology on business(new trains were available every few decades or so). Anyone else have fond memories of this game?

I loved the first in the series. The rest, not so much, though the platinum version of II is not so bad. Absolutely hated later games though.

I loved buying out competitors, and the awesomeness of the 4-4-0 American locomotive. :D

Sometimes, since The Computer Is A Cheating male without a father, I'd cheat right back and circle its stations with track. :biggrin:

Nowadays though I'm all about the OpenTTD. Though I still enable the "cheat" of building while paused cus I'm so used to it from my Railroad Tycoon days.

I played The original Railroad Tycoon on my Grandfathers Macintosh. I briefly played Railroad Tycoon II a few years ago when I picked it up for $5, but I don't remember much about it, and I've been playing Sid Meier's Railroads on and off for the last couple years. I have also downloaded Railroad Tycoon Deluxe off of the 2K website, which in many ways I find more fun than later incarnations, which feels more like a PC game, because the pace is slower, and there is more depth to it.

For those who haven't played the first RR Tycoon I'm pretty sure it's available on abandonware sites. You will most certainly need DOSBox to run it though.

Just checked: yep, here it is: http://www.abandonia.com/en/games/406/Railroad+Tycoon.html

This game works fine in WinXP, but you must select MCGA graphics. You'll get the same amount of colors as with VGA, but no animation. If you select VGA under WinXP the game won't start. The best way to run the game however is still the DOSBox.