ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

Wooh waah! not that simple.. Help with hightmap

Ryuukage0101

I decided to make my own map.
But it wasnt so easy as I thought it would be..

Problems when trying to view/ edit the new worldspace, G.E.C.K crashing.

one thing more. I cant get the land to look natural.

So could anyone link a good tutorial or video? thanks in advnace.

You could try googling :D The USGS is still around and providing free satellite returns last I heard.

Alright, so who cares where you get your image from or how you make it;

EVERY single heightmap image needs to be configured in this way:

1024x1024 resolution

RAW

16-bit

Should be 2.00 MB. Anything else will crash the GECK. Getting a nice-looking heightmap image is another question.

Edited by TrickyVein

If your landscape is too low, it crashes the GECK. I dunno why. It's incredibly stupid considering that the default is to start out with the landscape low. It's like whoever made the GECK wanted it to crash when you tried it.

The basic procedure that I've come up with is that I create the world space, go into the heightmap editor and give it just a little bit of randomness, and (this is VERY IMPORTANT) set the minimum height to something like 6000. I let that generate, and it will create a mostly flat map. At that point I save the entire thing, because the GECK crashes so often. Then, I begin to edit the map, adding mountains and such. I generally start from the lowest terrain and go upwards, as too low of terrain causes the GECK to crash. Use a fairly low intensity when editing the landscape. Too high of an intensity and you'll create landscape tears and other weird things and you'll end up with landscape bugs that the GECK can't fix.

Once I have the mountains and valleys all laid out, I then go back to the random noise generator. Unlike before where I gave it a minimum height, this time I make it additive and use a fairly small height (maybe 100 or so). And then I crank up the frequency to a few thousand and let it generate noise. This last part takes the landscape from being flat and unnatural looking and makes it bumpy enough that it looks real.

I've never tried to import a hightmap. With all of the weird quirks of the GECK, once I found something that worked I stuck with it.

If your landscape is too low, it crashes the GECK. I dunno why. It's incredibly stupid considering that the default is to start out with the landscape low. It's like whoever made the GECK wanted it to crash when you tried it.

The basic procedure that I've come up with is that I create the world space, go into the heightmap editor and give it just a little bit of randomness, and (this is VERY IMPORTANT) set the minimum height to something like 6000. I let that generate, and it will create a mostly flat map. At that point I save the entire thing, because the GECK crashes so often. Then, I begin to edit the map, adding mountains and such. I generally start from the lowest terrain and go upwards, as too low of terrain causes the GECK to crash. Use a fairly low intensity when editing the landscape. Too high of an intensity and you'll create landscape tears and other weird things and you'll end up with landscape bugs that the GECK can't fix.

Once I have the mountains and valleys all laid out, I then go back to the random noise generator. Unlike before where I gave it a minimum height, this time I make it additive and use a fairly small height (maybe 100 or so). And then I crank up the frequency to a few thousand and let it generate noise. This last part takes the landscape from being flat and unnatural looking and makes it bumpy enough that it looks real.

I've never tried to import a hightmap. With all of the weird quirks of the GECK, once I found something that worked I stuck with it.

Oh! didnt thought of that one! :D Pretty smart dude, and thanks