I need opinions here. Im changing mmos...

Vindekarr

Im a veteran gamer, lets just get that straight. I have just over a decade of general gaming experience, having first taken up a controller to bring ruination up the enemy aged 9.

I like MMO gaming, they give challenge like little else, and I also enjoy the PVP and the ability to bring annihilation to a PLAYER populated battlefront. But Im changeing games now. I for a long time played EVE online and Lord Of The Rings online, but Im leaving those games now because they can no longer give me what I want. LOTRO has stagnated into a funless pit of decay and despair. Constant patching of the wrong thing and endless nerfing has made once mighty heroes as weak as kittens. That, combined with endless queing for fruitless raids so that I can unlock more fruitless raids has pushed my patience and temper well beyond what is safe.

And EVE has simply gotten too frustrating and time consuming. It is a superb game, I love the complexity, and I was getting to be very successful, but I need allies, and even the best corp I could find is useless, incompetant and unable to organise getting a cofee, let alone a fleet op in nullsec. So now I find myself again hunting for somewhere to play.

My main candidates are WOW once it's new x-pack comes out. I've already got the rest of wow on my shelf. It just need reactivation. But I havent played since burning crusade and am unfamiliar with the state of play. My other main candidate is city of villains. Again, long time no play, but its better than the rubbish cryptic recently started churning out and is soon to be free to play. What I'd really like would be some opinions on the game from the players, whats the community like, endgame, balance, pvp, pve ect.

Hmm. I've only played a few MMOs myself, including Dark Ages of Camelot, Guildwars, and Star Wars Galaxies. I loved DAoC and played it for 7+ years. The pvp there was great and I occasionally play it again for a month or two. However, it is also an aged game. Still, there hasn't been another pvp experience like it that I've seen yet. My current MMO is EVE too, and I'm still playing it for the time being.

I'm not a big MMO fan, but I have played a few....Anarchy Online is pretty cool, very complex game. The graphics are a bit outdated, but the gameplay is interesting. They are supposed to update the graphics sometime this year...but they've been promising that for years.

http://www.anarchy-online.com/wsp/anarchy/frontend.cgi?func=frontend.show&template=main

you can play for free...but being a froob sucks horrid. All the cool items come with the expansions.

Only game I've ever did a monthly subscription for....I got sick of it though. I get burnt out on MMOs rather quickly...played this one for a year though. Not too bad of a game. If you get into a good org (guild) you'll have a lot of fun and free goodies lol. It's also one of those games you just have to play in Windowed mode...you'll be switching back and forth between the game and websites to figure out what stuff is, how to craft, skills, etc. There's A LOT of stuff.

Friend says Age of Conan is pretty cool, haven't tried it though.

If you're looking for a good corp in Eve, you're welcome to join mine. I'm a director in PCG Enterprises, which is the PCGamer magazine official corp. We're only about a week old, and out of our 20 or so members, only a few of us have been playing Eve for more than a couple of months, but if you're looking to be a part of something new and exciting, now is the perfect time to join. We won't be going to nullsec for some time, at least not as a corp, so it might not be of much interest to you. We are building in that direction rapidly though. As soon as we have a decent core of relatively skilled members, we will be expanding into wormhole ops, and from there hopefully it won't be long until we move on to nullsec.

[/shameless plug]

As for other games... I'm not really an MMO fan, as a rule, so I haven't played many - but the impression I get from other people is that your best bet is to wait for Guild Wars 2 to come out. Supposedly, it will blow all other MMOs out of the water, though how much of that is just hype I can't say.

http://pwi.perfectworld.com/

Might be worth trying. It's free to play, but eventually gets to where you either need real money or a bot to farm for you. The downside is that pvp at this point is a bit one-sided, and you'll be spending several months leveling and grinding in order to get a level high enough to do anything. You can still do duels at lower levels, but anything beyond that is just asking to be ganked. The Territory battles, provided you get in a strong guild, are really where the pvp is at, but, again, at this point it's likely a one-sided fight since the strongest guilds get the best stuff.

http://www.airrivals.net/

Another free game, but this one is probably more your speed. It's a shooter with RPG elements and forced pvp in higher level areas. It's also not as grind happy as most korean based mmos since it's active playing and not just tapping hotkeys. The graphics are a bit dated, but still kinda cool in their own way. The first downside however is that it isn't updated and fixed all that much, so some bugs and other issues will require you adapting to them instead of waiting for a fix. The second downside is that some of the pvp gets outright lame with portal camping and other stuff that while practical when it comes to 100+ vs 100+ fights, can also be annoying when just trying to go to pvp the other side.

At the very least you waste time downloading, installing, signing up, and a few hours of poking around.